2016 1200RT hopefully

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Kimbles
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2016
Great Britain

2016 1200RT hopefully

Post by Kimbles »

Hi,
I currently ride a 2014 Suzuki Vstrom but am thinking of going more touring bike and getting an RT....

I am test riding one on the 16th June and really excited to be doing this šŸ˜ my question to you all is what aftermarket accessories do you suggest and secondly would you think after owning a light bike this may be too much to handle weight wise.

Cheers
Kim
bandytales

Re: 2016 1200RT hopefully

Post by bandytales »

Kimbles wrote: Hi,
I currently ride a 2014 Suzuki Vstrom but am thinking of going more touring bike and getting an RT....

I am test riding one on the 16th June and really excited to be doing this šŸ˜ my question to you all is what aftermarket accessories do you suggest and secondly would you think after owning a light bike this may be too much to handle weight wise.

Cheers
Kim

In reverse order. No, unless you are very short and/or feeble, the RT is just fine once you get used to it. All bikes will feel different and the RT is no exception. Just remember when moving it around (taking it from the garage or maneuvering in a petrol station) treat it with respect, particularly at first. Think ahead.

Accessories - Here'[size=2px]s my list:[/size]
[size=2px]Windscreen. I changed to a Werks Quiet Ride and it transformed the bike. So quiet and free from buffeting when compared to the stock screen.[/size]
[size=2px]Twist grips. I found the stock ones too small a diameter. I tried grip puppies and this made them too fat! i settled on some Renthal Road Race grips (medium [/size]compound[size=2px]) which slide beautifully over the stock grips and bring the diameter to a lovely feel.[/size]
Electrical Sockets. Rewired mine through a relay and fuse so that they have enough power to make my heated jacket work. (as stock the power they allow to pass is very low).
Cylinder head cover / crash bars. (also useful for adding aux lights in the future).
Side stand foot enlarger.
Some folk find the handlebars too low and so go down the relatively inexpensive route of fitting the IliumWorks BarBacks.

Best advice is test ride the bike...fall in love with it...buy it...get used to it...THEN consider what youd like to do. There will plenty of opportunities for farkling!
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
Kimbles
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Also are there any recalls that I should know about and whether anybody has had any major problems....
I know they seem daft questions but Iā€™d rather know from the people that ride them and own the bikes than from a dealer that only wants my very hard earned cash!
Kimbles
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Bandytails thatā€™s great advice thanks I have big expectations for this test ride my heart has been taken already with it  :-*
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

Kimbles wrote:
I am test riding one on the 16th June and really excited to be doing this [emoji16] my question to you all is what aftermarket accessories do you suggest and secondly would you think after owning a light bike this may be too much to handle weight wise.
First, you will love the RT and you will not find it to be a heavy bike, especially when underway.

Second, as for ā€œfarklesā€, a source of endless debate... I have
Ilium Bar Back risers.
Werks quiet ride wind screen
Machine Moto Art Engine protectors
Supabrake light modulator
Volo deceleration light
Ilium rear bars
Denalli DR1 lights with CanOpener, Compact Sound bomb horn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Kimbles, I bought my RT from new 3 years ago (all options less keyless ignition & radio), and have toured across much of W Europe (solo riding). I have found it to be a very enjoyable experience all in all touring on this big bike. Admittedly, the OEM saddle can be improved upon, but that's a personal choice if and when you start piling on the miles on an RT! Accessory wise, all I've added are the OEM cylinder head guards, fender extender (definitely needed), Nav 5 sat nav, OEM top box (49 litre), side stand foot extender, pannier protection film, fuel tank paint protection rubber pads, and also from fellow forum members recommendations, a pair of self-adhesive bump strips for the panniers (Ā£10 from Halfords. Bargain!). Yes, it is a heavy bike but only really felt when paddling the bike with your feet to manoeuvre it. Once you get going, it is fine in all respects. When you do test ride it, also try the S1000XR and the good old GS variants! Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Ah yes, Fender Extender. Very important,  RT LC MachineArt Avant Fender Extender:

[size=20px]https://www.bahnstormer.co.uk/product/r ... xtender-2/[/size]
Kimbles
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Thanks everyone all advice has been taken on board it may end up an expensive 40th birthday present be
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

All the above, and a LOUD horn
horand

Post by horand »

Hi
Iā€™m in the same boat!
Iā€™m from Northern Ireland and have arrived in England to pick up a Nov 2016 RT (2017 model) this evening!
Iā€™m taking it back home tomorrow and have a 320 mile journey!
Have traded in my BMW F800 GT which has been a great bike although a smaller tourer than the RT.
Iā€™ll let you know how I get on tomorrow with the bigger RT.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

The other thing I've added, and probably the cheapest of the list above, is paint protection.  These come as kits from Nippy Normans which you can buy for the tank and panniers.  They are easy to apply pre cut film pieces.  They may not be the best you can buy, but they are relatively cheap.  So if (like me) you do often clout the pannier with your boot when getting on and off you can just pull it off and buy another set.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Sprintgull wrote: The other thing I've added,..., is paint protection. 

Me too. I got mine from America and piece for piece it works out cheaper, You can buy various kits, to cover just the panniers, or just the tank. I bought the whole kit and what I have been most thankful for is the headlight protection because these Wethead headlights do seem to be affected by stones.

http://thetankslapper.biz/r1200rt-total ... 2014-2018/
horand

Post by horand »

Hi
I picked up the RT yesterday and took it back to Northern Ireland. A 310 mile trip.
The previous 6 days I had been on a 1000 mile trip on the F800GT.
The RT is fabulous. Itā€™s very smooth and comfortable and feels like real luxury.
Itā€™s a big looking bike but once the wheels are moving itā€™s very manoeuvrable and easy to ride.
I suppose I need to get used to moving it in and out of the garage. I can do this whilst sitting on it which feels safer than moving it back and forwards when standing sideways to it!
A truly wonderful bike and  Iā€™d highly recommend it.
Regards
David
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

horand wrote: Hi
I picked up the RT yesterday and took it back to Northern Ireland. A 310 mile trip.
The previous 6 days I had been on a 1000 mile trip on the F800GT.
The RT is fabulous. Itā€™s very smooth and comfortable and feels like real luxury.
Itā€™s a big looking bike but once the wheels are moving itā€™s very manoeuvrable and easy to ride.
I suppose I need to get used to moving it in and out of the garage.
I can do this whilst sitting on it which feels safer than moving it back and forwards when standing sideways to it!
A truly wonderful bike and Iā€™d highly recommend it.
Regards
David
They can be a bit of a big old girl to move around the garage and when parking, but when she's moving, she really can pick up her skirts and shift.  :alas:

I made a cheap turntable to go under the centre-stand - makes a big difference.
Kimbles
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Thanks for all the advice and replies really canā€™t wait to get on at the test ride and get going.... Going to bring bike home and see how I go with the getting in and out of the garage and basically have a long ride out see how it all goes.

If all goes well I just need to sort some cash out and a rack for my givi box as my god the price of the BMW top box brings a tear to this Yorkshire lassā€™s eyes šŸ˜³šŸ˜³.

Once again thanks for all advice and hopefully be back with good news at some point.

Cheers
Kim