Sports screen on 2018 RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
BeeJay

Sports screen on 2018 RT

Post by BeeJay »

Hello, collected my replacement RT on April 1st (no jokes please) in beautiful Mars Red.

I knew that it had the smaller "sports" screen and initially, apart from feeling more "wind" it was okay.
We've just returned from Germany and both myself and SWMBO noticed uncomfortable amounts of turbulance.

It was the lack of turbulance that was the attraction of the RT in the first place.

I don't know whether to revert to the standard screen or try the Werks screen. But it's expensive to try and not like it.

Does anyone live near Shropshire, or within 100miles, that would allow me to visit and try their Werks, or similar after market, screen to help me decide?

Thanks in anticipation.
:)
realshelby

Re: Sports screen on 2018 RT

Post by realshelby »

It is expensive to get a WERKS screen across the Pond! Averages $90-100 US just for shipping cost.

No matter what you do, don't lose faith in the RT! Why that "sport" screen is on those is still a mystery to me. I tested a prototype "sport style" screen a while back and there was simply no way to make it work. I have probably had 15 customers recently replace that factory sport screen. It simply does not work for anyone but the very shortest rider. The difference in protection, lack of turbulence and noise will be dramatic with the right replacement.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I was lucky enough to pick up a Werks screen over here on eBay for about half new price.  It is soooo much better.  The only small downside is not as much cooling in hot weather.... but this is UK remember.
Boxercup

Post by Boxercup »

I have the shorter version of the V-stream by Z technik and it is highly effective at spilling the air around the rider and pillion.  Much more so in fact than the standard OEM screen (not sport screen as on Mars red) that my version of SWMBO much prefers the ride when the V stream is fitted. 
Boxercup

Post by Boxercup »

V stream readily available in uk by the way
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Hi I have the werks screen, it's excellent. I'm in Northampton approx 100 miles from Shrewsbury but any excuse for a rideout so could meet you somewhere? Let me know
Nick
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Nick
Thanks for that. I'll pm you when I have some dates available.
Our daughter lives just south of Derby so that would reduce the journey somewhat.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Beejay,I've a Wunderlich screen on mine. You're more than welcome to try.Live near Loughborough.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Smiley, thanks for that and a lot nearer to Hartshorne where our daughter lives.
I'll pm when I've sorted some dates.
AlanSKirk

Post by AlanSKirk »

Hi Bee Jay
I too have the 2018 RT in Mars Red.
I didn't realise about the screen until I picked it up.
I had a look round and found and purchased the Puig touring screen in light smoke.
I find it very protective and fairly good for looking through.
It's not too high, I'm 5'10'' and look over and ahead at a distance of about 20 metres.
It also suits the bikes colour well.

Cheers

Alan
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I have one of these for sale £35. Still in box and as new. Scratched my original screen when fitting it and tried to polish it....... Bad idea screen is coated. I ended up with a new larger screen

https://www.nippynormans.com/f650st-f650cs-f650gs-f650-dakar/wunderlich-universal-screen-extension-clear
Last edited by Beagle on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.