Ulez compliance

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
Harlequin

Ulez compliance

Post by Harlequin »

hi all

Only just found out about this when selling the bike.

Does anybody know if the 2007 is ULEZ compliant?

Thanks, Mike
Frank123

Re: Ulez compliance

Post by Frank123 »

Ah the problems associated with living in a big city! Try the link below and enter your Reg No.

[size=2px]https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... ecker-ulez[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Regards[/size]
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

My '66 plate complies (Euro4).
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Ossy

Post by Ossy »

I have a 2005 so by default I will be liable for the ulez charge. However, tfl have states that if a pre 2007 bike meets ulez standards then they too will be exempt, although the process for this is not yet clear.  I cannot find anywhere whether the 2 years before 2007 were also euro 3 emissions class or not. Can anyone help? Does anyone know whether the engine/exhaust system etc was changed in these two years? Thanks
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

Ossy wrote: I have a 2005 so by default I will be liable for the ulez charge. However, tfl have states that if a pre 2007 bike meets ulez standards then they too will be exempt, although the process for this is not yet clear.  I cannot find anywhere whether the 2 years before 2007 were also euro 3 emissions class or not. Can anyone help? Does anyone know whether the engine/exhaust system etc was changed in these two years? Thanks
That might not necessarily be so - I put the reg. no. of my '05 1200ST into the checker - it was exempt. I'm not sure exactly what the checker is checking though - reg. date/date of manufacture/linking to some BMW database somewhere....who knows?! I also put in a random '06 plate RT....that was liable for the charge.

Pete

julianq

Post by julianq »

Beware, they are updating the list slowly, keep checking.

JQ 2007 R1200RT
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

My 05 RTis subject to ULEZ
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

There certainly seems to be a hint of randomness about the status of a given bike! Fortunately, living in t'north, it doesn't affect me.
Pete
Ossy

Post by Ossy »

Ok so I’ve made good progress here. My r1200rt 2005 is exempt as it meets emissions criteria.

You have to email Bmw homologation department ([email protected]) and ask regarding your emissions data which they will send after a few weeks.
You will need to include the make, model, year
Vin number
Engine number
All are on your v5 registration document

In order to get an exemption from tfl you have to order a certificate of conformity from bmw (£120 fee). Following this tfl will add you to the exemption list.

milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Straight lift from over on the BMbikes forum, and as reported in MCN -

"Riders of older motorcycles in London have been handed a lifeline thanks to a new TfL-approved emissions testing centre being set up that should see many older bikes be exempted from the upcoming ULEZ (Ultra Low Emissions Zone) charge.

On April 8, the Capital introduces the new ULEZ in a further bid to improve air quality. To enter this zone, all motorcycles which are not compliant with Euro3 (ie made pre-2007) will have to pay £12.50 per day.

Is my old bike going to cost more to ride in London?

Not necessarily. As TfL are currently only intending to crack down on vehicles with excessive NOx emissions and many pre-2007 bikes actually produce less than the 0.15 g/km limit TfL have set, so older bikes could be exempt as long as owners can prove their low NOx emissions.

Some bikes were tested for this when manufactured but many were not, so until now there was no way of proving a bike’s emissions were under the limit. Now, however, Riverbank Motorcycles, which is the only TfL-approved facility for testing bikes, has removed that problem.

How does it work?

It’s been set up by John Rusby and spokesperson Neil Freeman at Riverbank Motorcycles just by the London Olympic Park. It’s similar to a motorcycle dyno, however they have had to source new exhaust gas measuring equipment and develop their own test that meets the rigors of the emissions standards.

Bikes are placed on the dyno, run through the test three times, which involves idling, acceleration and deceleration, and an average is then taken. Much like an MoT, the result is a straight pass or fail.

“Well maintained, properly set-up and cared-for bikes stand a much better chance of meeting the standard and passing the test,” says Freeman. “However, there are certain problems that will guarantee a fail; such as leaking inlet manifolds or badly fitting air filters.”

If a bike passes the test, the results are uploaded straight to the TfL database resulting in an exemption. But even if a bike fails it’s not the end of the world. Sometimes simple maintenance is all that’s needed to get the bike within the correct levels. Although, even then, not all bikes will be able to meet the standards.
For more information, or to book a test for your bike, go to https://www.nationalemissionstestcentre.com/ tests costs £175."

Pete

Last edited by milleplod on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.