So you think keyless is great?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
bandytales

So you think keyless is great?

Post by bandytales »

Here's what happened this weekend:
I went to a neighboring town (25 miles from home) on Sunday morning on the bike ('17 RTLE).
After I finished there, I started my ride home. At about 1/2 a mile after my journey started, I noticed the Yellow Triangle and exclamation mark, and below it the key symbol with the question mark. I foolishly ignored it because this has happened before when the remote fob was in my pocket, masked (I believe by my phone),so I didn't give it a second thought.
Shortly after this, I stopped at some traffic lights, and as is (now) my custom, I left the bike in 1st but hit the kill switch [I can't bear that crunch into 1st gear] but with the ignition left on. Lights turned green, I hit the start button, dropped the clutch and off I went. Anyhow, about 3 miles later, I was way too hot, so stopped to take a layer off. Same procedure, 'kill' the engine in 1st gear. Ignition left on. I popped the clothes in the top box and then jumped on my bike. Hit the start button....nothing. Checked my side stand up, yep, it was. Still, nothing. Clicked the bike into neutral and tried again...nothing. So pushed the ignition 'off' button and then pushed again to turn it back on again...Oh, no! nothing at all. The bike was now totally shut down.
I went through all my clothing checking for the remote fob and all to no avail. I pushed the bike to a slightly safer location and then started my way back to my start location. EVENTUALLY I got back to where I had started my bike first time and started searching for the key. My lovely Son-in Law, turned up on his bike and he let me ride it (as I knew where I had been). We SLOWLY navigated back to where my bike was marooned with a hope of spotting the fob on the ground somewhere. Nada!
We then went back to my house and picked up the grey plastic emergency key and retrieved my bike. I retraced my route again, and still no sign of the fob.
Here's the thing. If the bike had shut down where it lost the key, I may well have found it. But to only stop once I tried to restart the beast seems crazy.

Here's the bottom line. I COULD have really been in the wilderness with no on to call on.
PLEASE CARRY YOUR SPARE EMERGENCY KEY SOMEWHERE THAT IS ON THE BIKE/HELMET ALL THE TIME.

If I had an ignition key, this COULD NOT happen.
Last edited by bandytales on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Re: So you think keyless is great?

Post by Sprintgull »

Must admit when I bought mine I thought it was something I could easily manage without, along with the radio.  Never regretted either decision, especially after reading this.  How much for a new key?  Last time I lost mine they were under the microwave.  Time before I was at a mate's and we turned his house upside down... In my glove.

Now that mobile phone technology has made these things common, there must be a way to use something biometric?  Face / voice / chip and pin / implant.  Or...… wait for it folks.....  Ready...  Sure....  A KEY!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Sorry to read about your problem.

I have a similar bike with the keyless feature.

I couldn't find my emergency key for months (it turned up in my luggage when I was looking to prepare for my next trip !).  I bought a replacement emergency key and I've carried that with me ever since, so I shouldn't get caught out as you did, but I "look forward" to hearing what a replacement fob costs  :wonder: .

The keyless system is extremely convenient on a long trip - I like it.  Keys can have their problems too .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Sprintgull wrote: Must admit when I bought mine I thought it was something I could easily manage without, along with the radio.  Never regretted either decision, especially after reading this.  How much for a new key?  Last time I lost mine they were under the microwave.  Time before I was at a mate's and we turned his house upside down... In my glove.

Now that mobile phone technology has made these things common, there must be a way to use something biometric?  Face / voice / chip and pin / implant.  Or...… wait for it folks.....  Ready...  Sure....  A KEY!

The point is, if the key is out of range of the bike, it is not a problem. You just hunt for your key...find it, and then ride.
My caution is about when you lose that key WHILE you are riding. Some of you folk live a LONG way away from civilisation.

Like I said, carry that Emergency key somewhere on your bike / helmet.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

bandytales wrote:
The point is, if the key is out of range of the bike, it is not a problem. You just hunt for your key...find it, and then ride.
My caution is about when you lose that key WHILE you are riding. Some of you folk live a LONG way away from civilisation.

Like I said, carry that Emergency key somewhere on your bike / helmet.
I keep mine gorilla taped in my wallet.
You may change helmets but not your wallet.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueboy
mosefitch

Post by mosefitch »

" I noticed the Yellow Triangle and exclamation mark"   

I'll remember to stop when I see this and check I have the key.  Battery may have been on it's last leg, or it fell out of an open pocket.   
Sorry for your troubles but you provided a good learning example for myself.    I like keyless.

timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I found a terrific hiding spot for my emergency key behind one of the speakers.  I have it velcro'd and zip tied so it can't fall.  Yes, I would need a t25 torx to retrieve it, but I always have one with me for this reason, or could find one in a pinch.  Now don't tell anyone my secret!  :silence:
BMW MOA #210438
Pete

Post by Pete »

You have a t25 under your seat so with your spare key undo the seat and remove the t25 so you can get your spare key. :alas: :enjoying:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My Spyder has 7 seperate lockable compartments including the fuel cap but only 2 key holes.  Back one locks both panniers and the topbox and the front one does the other 4 including of course all ignition and steering lock functions.  The way to go.
Bobf

Post by Bobf »

Pete; Don't you need a key to remove your seat? Just asking...lol
Better to burn out than fade away. - Niel Young
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Bobf wrote: Pete; Don't you need a key to remove your seat? Just asking...lol
Exactly!  And besides, under seat seems too obvious a hiding place to me, like hiding your house key under the doormat.
Last edited by timminator on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
Pete

Post by Pete »

It was a funny  :))