Dash Lighting

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
foolofsand

Dash Lighting

Post by foolofsand »

OK, so I have the 2011 r1200rt. The dash lighting is probably the worst I have ever seen on a motorcycle.  In the daytime it is like non usable.
So, my question is, are there any improvements out there or some type of a plastic color covering for the dash to enhance the view?
Thanks
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Re: Dash Lighting

Post by slparry »

foolofsand wrote: OK, so I have the 2011 r1200rt. The dash lighting is probably the worst I have ever seen on a motorcycle. In the daytime it is like non usable.
So, my question is, are there any improvements out there or some type of a plastic color covering for the dash to enhance the view?
Thanks
On my 07 K1200GT the dash lighting goes off in the daytime. There's a small 5 mm sensor on the speedo face that detects the light. If I stick a finger over the sensor the dash lights up.

Have a look if there's a similar sensor on your and stick a piece of tape on the Perspex to hide the light from the sensor
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

foolofsand wrote: OK, so I have the 2011 r1200rt. The dash lighting is probably the worst I have ever seen on a motorcycle.  In the daytime it is like non usable.
Thanks
Do you mean Dash lighting, or do you mean reflections?
raider57
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2012
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by raider57 »

slparry wrote: On my 07 K1200GT the dash lighting goes off in the daytime. There's a small 5 mm sensor on the speedo face that detects the light. If I stick a finger over the sensor the dash lights up.
Have a look if there's a similar sensor on your and stick a piece of tape on the Perspex to hide the light from the sensor
Interesting.  I may do some experimenting on my 2012 RT.  The center screen is tough to read in daylight.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

on my 2007 RT I can adjust the dash lighting level with the buttons on the dash
raider57
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2012
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by raider57 »

ds99 wrote: on my 2007 RT I can adjust the dash lighting level with the buttons on the dash
That's correct, I do have several brightness setting options, but I think what the issue here is that during bright daylight there is no illumination activated on the center screen, so it is very tough to read when it's not lighted up. No contrast.
My lighting does come on automatically if I enter shaded/wooded areas and then it's very easy to see the screen info.
Last edited by raider57 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foolofsand

Post by foolofsand »

bandytales wrote: Do you mean Dash lighting, or do you mean reflections?
just cant see in daytime whether it has reflections or not---night time is great but daytime the worse ever--any aftermarket replacements etc or some screen that can be put on to see better?