Panel torx screws - Is there a rhyme or reason for the different shank lengths?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
vidking

Panel torx screws - Is there a rhyme or reason for the different shank lengths?

Post by vidking »

2014 RTW  - Okay, so I'm taking off all the fairing panels necessary to get to the air cleaner. That's 13 plastic panels and about 30 screws.  First of all I hope they didn't give the design engineer a raise for creating that idiocy.  Anyway, some the screws have no shoulder (shank), some have a short shoulder (about 3 mm), some have a longer shoulder (about 6 mm) and a couple are extra long.  The purpose and placement of the two extra long ones are obvious, but what about the rest of the 30 some screws?  What is the factor that determines what type of screw goes where?  They're all T25 torx with the same thread and same overall length. 
The BMW parts micro-fiche images show what screws goes where.  Unfortunately, when I took all 13 panels off, the screws utilized didn't match those fiche drawings and specs.  As far as I know, this is the first time these panels have been off since new.  So if the factory or dealership didn't follow the BMW specs for what screws went where, I'm hoping someone can help me with that.  Where would you use each type of screw shoulder length? 
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: Panel torx screws - Is there a rhyme or reason for the different shank lengths?

Post by TJRL »

I think they are designed to ensure there is no pressure on any trim panel they go through, so if they go through two panels they had the long shank, one trim panel the short shank and no trim panels no shank.

Somewhere there is an instruction sheet detail which goes where.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Panel torx screws - Is there a rhyme or reason for the different shank lengths?

Post by milleplod »

When I had my 1200ST - fewer panels and screws, but still quite a few different ones - I started off with the best of intentions when I first stripped the plastics off by pushing the screws into a sheet of cardboard with the condensed shape of the bike sketched onto it....ingenious eh, no chance of putting the wrong screw back in the wrong hole! I did that 2 or 3 times in the forst couple of years of ownership, but then realised that, in the grand scheme of things, it really didn't matter which hole they went into as long as they held it all together. Nothing ever fell off, got stressed or exploded. be
Pete
pkpilot

Post by pkpilot »

vidking wrote: 2014 RTW  - Okay, so I'm taking off all the fairing panels necessary to get to the air cleaner. That's 13 plastic panels and about 30 screws.  First of all I hope they didn't give the design engineer a raise for creating that idiocy.  Anyway, some the screws have no shoulder (shank), some have a short shoulder (about 3 mm), some have a longer shoulder (about 6 mm) and a couple are extra long.  The purpose and placement of the two extra long ones are obvious, but what about the rest of the 30 some screws?  What is the factor that determines what type of screw goes where?  They're all T25 torx with the same thread and same overall length. 
The BMW parts micro-fiche images show what screws goes where.  Unfortunately, when I took all 13 panels off, the screws utilized didn't match those fiche drawings and specs.  As far as I know, this is the first time these panels have been off since new.  So if the factory or dealership didn't follow the BMW specs for what screws went where, I'm hoping someone can help me with that.  Where would you use each type of screw shoulder length?
I encountered the same issue about screws not matching the BMW parts diagrams.  I think the smaller number of longer screw shoulders is for the places you actually attach 2 panel tabs (e.g. the tank fairing and the panel below it).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have a look at the pdf's in this thread, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=45.msg31079#msg31079
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Getting to the air filter is an unnecessary cruelty. I suppose that with how well the rest of the bike is engineered and how well it seems to be holding up, BMW just HAD to do something to satisfy those in need of pain and suffering....

Pay attention to how many panels and how thick they are as you select the fastener. Makes it pretty obvious which length you will need. Of course I am sure I have many of mine in the wrong place anyway.......
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Bobf

Post by Bobf »

Better to burn out than fade away. - Niel Young
pkpilot

Post by pkpilot »

Bobf wrote: Check in "downloads",  https://1200rt.com/index.php?action=dow ... ew;down=70
THANK YOU!  I will save this file in a safe place(s).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk