Potentially getting back into biking and have some queries about the RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
snerkler

Potentially getting back into biking and have some queries about the RT

Post by snerkler »

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting back into biking after having 6 years off due to a nerve injury and also fibromyalgia, and now that the nerve injury has gone I'm hoping that I can cope with just the fibro. With that in mind I have to think very carefully about which bike I go for, and have ruled out my last bike, a 2010 R1200GS Adventure, due to the arm fatigue caused by the wide bars, and the buffeting despite having the touratech screen extender (I'm 6'4" with 33" inseam). After looking at various makes and models from Harley to Kawasaki I've pretty much narrowed it down to a post 2014 RT and have a few questions, especially for the tall riders.

Obivously the only way I'm going to know for sure is to ride the bike for myself, but I'm having a fibro flare up at the moment and in the meantime wondering if fold could answer a few questions please?

Firstly, how much buffeting is there (if any) and if you add the high seat does this cause more head buffeting? Secondly how much extra leg room does the high seat give? I know it raises the overall height by about 20-25mm but how does this equate in the real world to extra leg room and knee bend? The dealership didn't have a high seat to try, and said that it would be unlikely that I could test ride a bike with one unless they get a a used bike in that has the high seat on it. If a high seat causes more buffeting would lowering the pegs be a better option, or can you counteract the buffeting with the larger screen? When sat on the bike at the dealership my legs were quite bent, but not uncomfortably so, although I fear that this could change with bike gear on and/or with prolonged time in the saddle.

Lastly, the guy at the dealership said that they'd changed the flywheel (IIRC) in mid 2015 resulting in less vibrations which is obviously a good thing for me to reduce arm fatigue. When in 2015 did this happen, and how would I know exactly when a bike was made?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Toby
Marc67

Re: Potentially getting back into biking and have some queries about the RT

Post by Marc67 »

Hi Toby,

I'm having the exact same questions, so very much looking forward to see the answers.

I bought a 2018 a few weeks ago and told the dealer I would like to swap the normal seat to a high seat. Obviously they don't have any in stock and they don't want to order a single seat for 700$CA, so they told me to try the normal seat and if I want to swap to a high seat they will order another bike with a high seat and swap the seats when the other bike is delivered to them.

So hopefully will get some clarity from the responses to this post.
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

Marc67 wrote: Hi Toby,

I'm having the exact same questions, so very much looking forward to see the answers.

I bought a 2018 a few weeks ago and told the dealer I would like to swap the normal seat to a high seat. Obviously they don't have any in stock and they don't want to order a single seat for 700$CA, so they told me to try the normal seat and if I want to swap to a high seat they will order another bike with a high seat and swap the seats when the other bike is delivered to them.

So hopefully will get some clarity from the responses to this post.
Hi,
I’m assuming you haven’t taken delivery of the bike yet then, or are they allowing you to use it for a while then swap the seat at a later date?
Marc67

Post by Marc67 »

They are allowing me to swap the seats at a later date.
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

Marc67 wrote: They are allowing me to swap the seats at a later date.
That's very nice of them  :)  So how tall are you, and how're you finding the RT for size?
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

as a suggestion, as I have no knowledge of the above due to me being a short arse, have you considered the K1600 bagger with the foot plates, therefore you could extend your legs out? The only downside is you cannot change gear and rear brake from the foot rests as far as I'm aware ?
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

Gman1969 wrote: as a suggestion, as I have no knowledge of the above due to me being a short arse, have you considered the K1600 bagger with the foot plates, therefore you could extend your legs out? The only downside is you cannot change gear and rear brake from the foot rests as far as I'm aware ?
I considered the K1600 (all variations) but it's a question of cost and weight as well. I did have a sit on the bagger and must admit it felt odd with my feet in that position. I'm sure you'd get used to it, but due to the other factors I've kind of ruled out the K1600,...... for now ;)

Likewise I was looking at Harleys as I mentioned previously, but the foot position and (for me) the god awful brake and gear shift pedal positions has put me off. I'm already struggling for leg room and to have to physically lift my foot (and therefore leg) up and over to the pedals just felt awkward.
Marc67

Post by Marc67 »

Snerkler,

Well I wouldn't say it's very nice of them as I asked for a high seat based on the results from the BMW-Motorrad.com seat height configurator application. According to the application, my inner leg curve is 1836mm (6'2', 36" waist, 33" inseam) and I need a high seat. So I've asked (written on the purchase contract) for a high seat, which they don't have in stock or any on their ordered list, so they offered to make their next order with a high seat and make the swap when they get this new bike.

However I am a bit concerned about the overall ergonomics, especially in terms of a potential forward slope with the high seat set at the lowest or the need for bar risers in case there will be too much weight transfer on my arms with the high seat.

With the normal seat config, I could say that buffeting with screen set at max is almost inexistent. Foot leg and knee bend is just okay, I would certainly appreciate a bit more and I'm concerned about a full day ride which I didn't experience yet, being on the break-in period.

So that why I am very curious about the response to your post.
Last edited by Marc67 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

Marc67 wrote: Snerkler,[/font][/color][/font]
[/font][/color]
Well I wouldn't say it's very nice of them as I asked for a high seat based on the results from the BMW-Motorrad.com seat height configurator application. According to the application, my inner leg curve is 1836mm (6'2', 36" waist, 33" inseam) and I need a high seat. So I've asked (written on the purchase contract) for a high seat, which they don't have in stock or any on their ordered list, so they offered to make their next order with a high seat and make the swap when they get this new bike.[/font][/color]
[/font][/color]
However I am a bit concerned about the overall ergonomics, especially in terms of a potential forward slope with the high seat set at the lowest or the need for bar risers in case there will be too much weight transfer on my arms with the high seat.[/font][/color]
[/font][/color]
With the normal seat config, I could say that buffeting with screen set at max is almost inexistent. Foot leg and knee bend is just okay, I would certainly appreciate a bit more and I'm concerned about a full day ride which I didn't experience yet, being on the break-in period.[/font][/color]
[/font][/color]
So that why I am very curious about the response to your post.[/font][/color]

Ahh right, thanks for clearing that up, I misunderstood the seat situation ;) I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts after riding a while and then how you get on with the high seat. If you wouldn't mind reporting back at a later date I'd really appreciate it  8)
peteandalex

Post by peteandalex »

you could get a foot peg lowering kit that might help a bit?

Marc67

Post by Marc67 »

I thought of a footpeg lowering kit but I am concerned about the reduced clearance and chances of scrapping the pegs...
snerkler

Post by snerkler »

peteandalex wrote:
you could get a foot peg lowering kit that might help a bit?[/quote]
Yeah, that was one of the other options :) [size=78%][size=78%]
Marc67 wrote:
[/size]I thought of a footpeg lowering kit but I am concerned about the reduced clearance and chances of scrapping the pegs...
[/quote]
I don't think I lean that far tbh, never scraped a peg yet anyway  ;)
Marc67

Post by Marc67 »

I will wait to see with the high seat, which is however only 5mm (3/16") higher when set to the low position than the normal seat at high position