maps missing!!!!!

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

maps missing!!!!!

Post by BoB21 »

Hi All,Whilst searching ukgser forum found sticky thread "NUTTYS LAW" under sat nav sub section. He had got to France and realized when he zoomed in he only had basic maps which are next to useless.  It transpires that Garmin has divided Europe into North and South and South was missing when he had updated maps. France is classified as South Europe along with all alpine Countries. Upon checking my Nav found same issue Ive just hooked up to express and said everything was up to date, reloaded maps and South Europe is back. Glad I had read and checked b4 going next month, apparently some are affected some are not.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: maps missing!!!!!

Post by Steve F »

I’m not alone then on this weird and b.annoying quirk! Last year the wife and I toured France with my Nav 5 sat nav loaded with my Garmin pre-planned route. Likewise, I ensured that my sat nav was uploaded with latest maps software before I set off. My Mac showed that it was up to date. All good so far. Rode down to Folkestone (sat nav not used as journey route is somewhat predictable!). Anyway, I switched it on on arrival at the Eurotunnel terminal in prep for the first leg of my French tour, when, hey b.presto, I only had N Europe countries loaded. Great!! How useful to have Scandinavia and Iceland(!!??) installed! Day 2 of our tour involved stopping off at a BMW main dealer in Tours who very helpfully reloaded the Euro maps, and all was then well!!
Anybody else had this issue besides BoB21 and myself/?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Steve F wrote:Anybody else had this issue besides BoB21 and myself?
Looks like you're not alone, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?p=31396#p31396

Is this just a problem with NTU maps, my Zumo 660 has CN Europe NT 2019.10 [1] ALL. Europe is not split into North & South.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Steve F wrote: Anybody else had this issue besides BoB21 and myself/?
I was on an organised tour of Spain recently and 2 bikes out of 14 had this affliction.  It is really quite widespread.
John Bentall
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

David,
My Nav 5 has the same map config issue as per the ukgser forum thread
[size=12px]http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ight=Nutty[/size]
[size=12px]
[/size]
[size=12px]John,[/size]
[size=12px]Yes, it would appear to be so!! I’m still suspicious of the interface between Garmin Basecamp and Garmin Express when used in conjunction with a Mac, as Windows users appear to be having trouble-free uploading of Euro maps, both North & South!! Well done Garmin!!🙄😡[/size]
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

To Add Im on windows 10 But think I have Inadvertently found at least part of cause. I wanted to put music onto Nav5 so bought a 32gb card but when i put card in could not get postcodes or towns when  searching. Asked at BMW and was told to just hook up to express and it would sort itself out (but keep old card in case)  which I did. No update or install. Postcodes and towns came back and all good. Still problem with no music so searching and found Nuttys law so checked. Yesterday after reinstall of maps on new card decided to check original card and found same problem so updated.Put new card back in and sure enough no south Europe so it seems if you take card out you lose south Europe. Also the linked thread said to check,go into maps and check if south Europe is there. It was showing ticked on mine but no map better way to check is zoom in and check minor roads are there.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All you need to do is check installed maps after you have done a map upgrade in Garmin Express. If it doesn’t show north as well as south just do it again.  Loosing maps when you take out the usb card would only happen if you have loaded maps to the card.  I have never found that necessary and just use it for music.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Had a Garmin Zumo 660 for 7 years now, recently purchased a 32GB memory card to install the maps on, works a treat.
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

I hadnt loaded maps to card but obviously that is where they were ,either from garmin/bmw new or when express performed update. Once again Nav was saying south Europe was there and ticked but zoom in and no roads were there just very basic main routes and coastlines appeared as straight lines. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Are these map problems specific to all BMW Nav. devices.
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Not sure, as found on BMW forum most people use NAVs affects some and not others. Posted on other forum lets see if others affected had cause to remove there cards prior to losing maps.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Nav V, (made by Garmin) is exclusive to BMW, not based on an existing Garmin unit, probably the same for the Nav VI.

Would be interesting to know if these map problems exist with the Nav IV, (same as Zumo 660).
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

David. wrote: The Nav V, (made by Garmin) is exclusive to BMW, not based on an existing Garmin unit, probably the same for the Nav VI.
Would be interesting to know if these map problems exist with the Nav IV, (same as Zumo 660).
The outer housings of the Nav5 and Nav6 are indeed exclusive to BMW, but much of the innards are common to the Zumo 59x series of SatNavs. So any Zumo featuring "Whole of Europe" mapping would similarly affected.
I read somewhere that a release of Garmin Express coincided with the splitting of the maps. Thus it is vital to pick up the latest version of express before updating maps.
My Zumo 660 has mapping for Western Europe rather than the Whole of Europe and there is a single map - no North/South divide.

John
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Update  from other forum and people affected say nothing to do with removal of cards. Why it happened on mine still trying to work out.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just a glitch in Garmin Express.  Don’t bother updating what you have loaded, it doesn’t always  work.  I found it best to just reload the whole thing from Garmin.com.it will override and replace what you already have but retain any devices you have stored.