Aux Sat Nav Connection

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Levisp

Re: Aux Sat Nav Connection

Post by Levisp »

I was thinking of bypassing the Canbus altogether and using one of these.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wirin ... ealed.html

Just need a switchable power source for relay.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I've never found it as complicated as many seem to make it. Ho hum.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Stratman wrote: I've never found it as complicated as many seem to make it. Ho hum.

So let us into your secret.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

easiest power supply that goes on and off with the ignition that is NOT controlled by CANBUS is the feed to the aux power socket

its easy to splice into the wires underneath, just take the panel off

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well yes but I left a USB charger socket in mine once and it flattened the battery.
Attachments
IMG_0235.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg
ds99

Post by ds99 »

mm... on my 2007 RT the power to the aux socket is cut with the ignition

i can't speak for later models, maybe on later models this power is controlled by the CANBUS system, hence if anything is plugged into it and drawing any power (however small), the CANBUS system will continue to supply it.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thanks for links. My model aux socket must be Canbus controller because I use a Canbus friendly charger to charge battery through this socket.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i would plug it into the Canbus socket and see how you get on. some people find this ok, others don't.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Levisp wrote:
Not on mine. Below is a pic of my BMW Garmin Nav lead. The bigger white plug is the one that goes into the bikes harness. The smaller one with black tape over it is just spare. On the bike this spare plug is just zipped tied to the harness. I put insulating tape over it to stop moisture getting into it. Its this plug the spare one that the Nippy's additional power lead plugs into.

The smaller of the cables is in fact a connection for an additional antenna for the unit.  Never known it to be used on the latest Navigators. It has nothing to do with powering the Navigator.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Every 1200 RT has Canbus wireing with the later ones, I think about 2013 onwards being Limbus.  If you buy anything that is not BMW and plug it into an accessory socket there is always the danger  the system will stay open when you switch off.  If it didn’t do that you would not be able to use a battery charger.  USB adaptors are the worse offenders.  It’s easy to know if something keeps it open.  Switch off and listen carefully for about 40 seconds.  Hear a click.  It’s off.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote:
The smaller of the cables is in fact a connection for an additional antenna for the unit.  Never known it to be used on the latest Navigators. It has nothing to do with powering the Navigator.

OK so what your saying is Nippy's aux plug / lead plugs into bikes harness and replaces the BMW Garmin part altogether.

Maybe OP could verify this as he did it.
Last edited by Levisp on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I askd a Tech at dealers the best place to power a camera through the ignition. Mne has the Nav. Was tld use the fuse under the seat and piggy back the one that goes through ignition. Can the your nav not use this?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Beagle wrote: I askd a Tech at dealers the best place to power a camera through the ignition. Mne has the Nav. Was tld use the fuse under the seat and piggy back the one that goes through ignition. Can the your nav not use this?

Why would you when the bike has a dedicated socket for the GPS. I had an Autocom on mine and that was connected via the fuse next to the battery box.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

RTman10 wrote:
Why would you when the bike has a dedicated socket for the GPS. I had an Auykvom on mine and that was connected via the fuse next to the battery box.

Apologies, I thought some were having problems with that.