Trying to fit rear crash bars

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Kimbles
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2016
Great Britain

Trying to fit rear crash bars

Post by Kimbles »

Hi,
I’m trying to fit some heed rear crash bars and it requires taking the bolt out near the riders foot peg (see pic below) is this a difficult job to get out or is it better just to get them done at the garage.
Cheers
Kim
Attachments
DFE8F3D4-FCC8-4EA8-8491-7E406178F153.jpeg
bandytales

Re: Trying to fit rear crash bars

Post by bandytales »

Kimbles wrote: Hi,
I’m trying to fit some heed rear crash bars and it requires taking the bolt out near the riders foot peg (see pic below) is this a difficult job to get out or is it better just to get them done at the garage.
Cheers
Kim

No not difficult.
Bobf

Post by Bobf »

I installed the crash bars with absolutely no difficulty. Just follow the directions that came with them. If you don't have the directions, check on the site, or email them. They are very helpful.
Better to burn out than fade away. - Niel Young
Kimbles
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Cheers guys, I’ve got the instructions was just worried about the bolt and the fact I couldn’t move it at all I will have to try harder I suppose and get a better socket lol
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

Hi,
I had this problem a while ago and the reason is the fact that the clevis pin is stainless steel and fitted in an aluminium bracket.  Not a good mixture, it will be seized I'm afraid. 
The best thing to do is to remove the bracket complete, soak the area inWD40 overnight and clam the bracket in a vice and drift the pin out.  Sounds brutal I know but it is the only way as far as I am aware.  I ended up buying  a pack of 2 pins on eBay to replace the bolt when I remove the pin.
On my next RT which I purchased new, I actually lubed the pins generously and swivel the pegs to exercise them so to speak.  Every few weeks I check the freedom of the pins to ensure they are not siezed

Good luck, you will get them out if you are patient
bikerman1042

Kimbles
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Thanks bikerman1042 I'm going to my favourite nut and bolt shop at the weekend to get some new ones I shall look at getting better grade ones my final question to you all is what do I re-torque the bolt to as instructions don't say I did the rear peg to 25Nm.

Kim
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

A bit late know, but don't torques them up. The bots that came with the kit come wit nylock nuts, ad you should only tighten them until the nut contacts the mounting bracket, otherwise, you will distort the bracket at best or snap off the bottom piece