Weave at slow speed

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ian9532

Weave at slow speed

Post by Ian9532 »

Hi I'm new to the forum and BMW bikes, I'm lucky enough to owe a new 2018 R1200RT, I've tried using the  search key but couldn't find he answer, so sorry if it's already been covered.
I wasn't able to test ride the bike before I bought it here in Spain, there wasn't one available. So not sure if this is normal with a shaft drive/opposed twin, but when I come up to a roundabout/junction slowing to around 3000rpm there is a very pronounced weave threw the bike which is very disconcerting.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards.
Ian
Blueboy

Re: Weave at slow speed

Post by Blueboy »

Hi congratulations on your beautiful new machine!
I suggest to bring it back to the dealer for a road test.. this is not normal, hopefully it's something minor.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueboy
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Does it do the same thing if you freewheel?
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Ian9532 wrote: Hi I'm new to the forum and BMW bikes, I'm lucky enough to owe a new 2018 R1200RT, I've tried using the  search key but couldn't find he answer, so sorry if it's already been covered.
I wasn't able to test ride the bike before I bought it here in Spain, there wasn't one available. So not sure if this is normal with a shaft drive/opposed twin, but when I come up to a roundabout/junction slowing to around 3000rpm there is a very pronounced weave threw the bike which is very disconcerting.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards.
Ian

Have you checked tyre pressures?
Is it happening every time? If not is there something on the road surface (like over-banding/tar strips/road joints etc).
For sure after checking tyre pressures, a trip to the dealer is step 2.
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

That seems really weird, I was going to say tyre pressures or tyres squared off? have you got some uneven weight in your panniers?
Ian9532

Post by Ian9532 »

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions, the tyre pressures were a little low 2.1/2.5 instead of 2.5/2.9.
Unfortunately I've been too busy to take it out and see if it's made any difference.
Will keep you posted.
Cheers.
Ian
Ian9532

Post by Ian9532 »

Hi
Yes it happens all the time, so not road related and it's brand new so not tyres. I did try it without the panniers the other day and same problem.
I've got the 1000km service due soon so will try and explain to the dealer.
Cheers.
Ian
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I don't have one that new, mine is a 2007, but I have noticed this a little too, as if the front is too light. I raised the rear preload a little and it is better than it was, but it is definitely there and more noticeable than on my other bike but I have become used to it and it isn't an issue any more.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Ian9532 wrote: Hi
Yes it happens all the time, so not road related and it's brand new so not tyres. I did try it without the panniers the other day and same problem.
I've got the 1000km service due soon so will try and explain to the dealer.
Cheers.
Ian
Ian,
Just to clarify. You stated 3 mins before the above post that the tyre pressures were low, but hadn’t yet ridden it after putting more air in the tyres? Your post above says that you don’t think that the tyres are at fault. Have you ridden it yet with the correct tyre pressures??🤔 If the problem persists thereafter, get the workshop mechanics to ride it for you (which I’m sure they’ll do regardless). Anyway, I’m curious to hear the comments from the dealer if you still have the problem then!
septikangel

Post by septikangel »

Have a new 2018 myself, which caused me concern too in much the same way.
I honestly thought the steering bearings were not adjusted correctly.
I noticed the 'weave' at slow speed and at 70mph.
Dealer checked bearings, steering damper, wheel alignment run out, calipers for sticking and unable to find any problem. Not evident on their test ride.
My tyres were at 2.5 and 3.00.
Tech's lowered pressures for me to 2.4 and 2.9 and can't say I really noticed issue at speed anymore.
Or am I just acclimatising?
Fortunate to ride other bikes.
When I get back on the RT I almost immediately notice the weave at slow speed.
Other bikes don't have steering dampers.
They do create an effect on steering don't they?
I reckon I just need to ride it more and I won't notice as I get more accustomed to the bike.
Takes time to set Tyre pressures to suit own preferences.
My 'wing 'wobbles' at recommended front pressure.
Add 2 - 4lb more and wobble's gone, a 'fix' most 'wingers use.
All the fun of finding out about the bike and setting it up for personal preferences.
Enjoy it, I'm luvvin' it. :)

1976 Norton Commando 850MkIII, 1994 Yamaha FZR1000RU, 2019 Honda Goldwing GL1800
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Ian9532 wrote: ... there is a very pronounced weave threw the bike which is very disconcerting.

Curious minds...What brand of tyres on your bike?
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

6psi down on the front.....and the rear.....and it feels odd??! I bet it does...the sidewalls will be squirming all over the place!!  :alas:
Pete
Ian9532

Post by Ian9532 »

The tyres are Michelin Pilot Road 4GT
Ian9532

Post by Ian9532 »

Hi Steve, my reply regarding the tyres being good was aimed at the comment  "squared off".
I took the bike out today and it has transformed the handling, I rather nievely thought the pressures would be checked before handover plus it's got the tyre pressure monitoring system.
Can't wait to get the 1000km service out the way and have some fun.
Thank you to all who replied.
Regards.
Ian
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Ian,
Good. Glad to hear it’s all sorted now.🙂👍