PR4GT Front not great

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Kimbles
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2016
Great Britain

PR4GT Front not great

Post by Kimbles »

Hi guys,
Went out for another run today and again felt the tyres weren’t great just couldn’t put my finger on it as it’s got PR4 gt’s on and everyone raves about them (pressures were fine)...

I thought it may just be me coming from a Vstrom and Bridgestone tyres.

Got my mate to ride it for a bit and he felt the same fighting slightly into bends and a harsh feeling.

My question is has anyone not got on with the Michelin tyres and have they had the front look like the tyre has gone lumpy I’m seriously thinking of changing them to maybe Metzeler roadtecs or Dunlop roadsmart 3’s....

Both front and rear don’t have much mileage on them but the front is giving bad feedback to me, it could just be me but your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kim
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: PR4GT Front not great

Post by Steve F »

Any clue as to how many miles (approx) the front tyre has on it? Maybe the previous owner on here might be able to enlighten you?? I’ve been using PR4 GTs front and rear on my 2015 RT since I had the bike from new, and find them spot on in both rain and dry weather. When worn, I have noticed a slight twitch when crossing prominent (ie thick) lane marking white lines, but nothing significant. Have you had any second opinions on the condition and tread depth of your tyres?
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

My PR4s  had a little under 10K miles on them  and the front was getting very vague.  Big heavy bikes seem to wear the fronts quite badly as you describe  the front wear was in a ripple effect.  Changed them  for the Metzeller Roadtec 01, like a new bike again.

Don't think there is anything wrong with the PR4s  but they seem to have a lot of tread left available,  just got to a point where they where horrible to ride on.
Kimbles
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

I am taking it to my garage for tomtom wiring in so will ask them about it and see what they think, my mate rode it as my second opinion and we came to the conclusion the lumpy looking front was the culprit the rear is brand new I may change front if guys at garage concur
Kimbles
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Exportman my mate had pr3’s on his FJR with the same feeling as mine today he has changed his to roadsmarts and it’s a different bike...

Yes the front has the ripple effect that’s how to explain the look of it, I find it a very strange feeling so I think it needs remedying but I will give it more time
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Must admit I like my PR4 GT. On my third set. Always change front and back at the same time. Get about 7K out of a set. By then back is down to about the 1mm tread mark and front has lost its profile. Always a very different bike with new tyres. However tyres are very personal. If you don't like them then replace with something else. Hope you find a solution you like. Lets us know how you get on.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Ripple sounds like cupping/scalloping. If you don't check pressure and run low occurs. Had this on mine now run at 2.7bar and don't use on board computer as not accurate. I like pr4 gt especially in wet. Do keep getting punctures though.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Kimbles wrote: Hi guys,
Went out for another run today and again felt the tyres weren’t great just couldn’t put my finger on it as it’s got PR4 gt’s on and everyone raves about them (pressures were fine)...

Hi Kimbles, I certainly don't rave over them. They made my Wethead feel dreadful to the point of getting rid of it.
They were dreadful all the time (from new). I have used the Pilot Roads to great success on my old Oilhead, but the Wethead is a different beast.
The bike tracked terribly over surface irregularities and scared me on a good few occasions.

I changed to Metzeler Z8's and the bike is a real pleasure to ride.

Hopefully you will find the same when you make a change (to whatever brand).
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

bandytales wrote:
Hi Kimbles, I certainly don't rave over them. They made my Wethead feel dreadful to the point of getting rid of it.
They were dreadful all the time (from new). I have used the Pilot Roads to great success on my old Oilhead, but the Wethead is a different beast.
The bike tracked terribly over surface irregularities and scared me on a good few occasions.

I changed to Metzeler Z8's and the bike is a real pleasure to ride.

Hopefully you will find the same when you make a change (to whatever brand).

Metzlers on mine are also great.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

I've not had any bad moments with the OE PR4s, however, I don't find them particularly inspiring and both the front and rear have significantly raised/cupped tread wear after 5000 miles.  In fact, the only attribute for me has been decent mileage. The rear had probably got another 1k left in it and the front 2k, however, with an impending tour around Scotland, I've just put a pair of BT023GTs on her.

I usually get about 4K from a pair of 023s on my Triumph Sprint, so, fitment to the RT will be interesting, albeit, the riding will mostly be two up but still spirited.
Kimbles
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Ordered the Z8’s today to be fitted next week when I get my tomtom wired in so if anyone wants a PR4 GT rear tyre with 800 miles on it only PM me 👍
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Kimbles wrote: Ordered the Z8’s today to be fitted next week when I get my tomtom wired in so if anyone wants a PR4 GT rear tyre with 800 miles on it only PM me 👍

Front AND Rear I hope?
Kimbles
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Yes front and rear will both be changed It looks a good touring tyre to me just not a Michelin fan
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Kimbles wrote: Yes front and rear will both be changed It looks a good touring tyre to me just not a Michelin fan

Well, I am not brand loyal to anything bike related. However, too many Wethead owners have been ill at ease with some parts of their bike's handling with the PR4's on. Like I said earlier, for me they were downright frightening especially when filtering past stationary traffic and the tyres would come across a road seam, or tar strip and decide to move violently sideways.

My Metzelers are just starting to 'white line' now with 4500 on them. There is plenty of life left in them and they feel good, so I am happy with that.

Looking forward to hear your views.

Kimbles
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Thanks bandytails that’s exactly how they were at weekend and when cornering it felt like I was fighting it to get round, I’m very much looking forward to the metzelers and wi keep you updated as to my thoughts....

I asked previous owner and he hadn’t changed from new so it had 5993 miles on the front Williams only changed the rear but just annoyed as it still has loads of tread left ah well the joys of tyres some good some bad.

Kim