PR4GT Front not great

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sprintgull

Re: PR4GT Front not great

Post by Sprintgull »

My PR4s have done just over 7k now and are getting past their best.  Front worn more than rear.  The rear is squaring a bit now and the front is cupping and does not have a lot of tread depth left.

Just to chuck a spanner in the works, the bike had Z8s from new and I couldn't get on with them - each to their own.  I like PR4s, especially in the wet.  I'd been hoping to wait until the new Michelin Road 5s come out, but I'll run out of tread first.  Speaking to the dealers a couple of weeks ago, they rated the Roadtecs though so I may give them a try.  Apparently the wear on my existing PR4s is pretty typical. 

I guess this just shows how subjective tyre choice is.  How the bike rides on a given brand depends on many variables like pressure, weight, riding style, suspension settings, type of roads, etc., etc.  Feed in the different variables and you'll get a different answer.
Kimbles
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2016
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Well had the Metzeler’s fitted today and oh my god it’s a different bike as you said bandytails, no scary moments on corners or on road seams and no vibration through the bars like I got with the PR4’s....

This is how the bike should feel in my opinion and yes I know new tyres all feel good but all I can say is I wouldn’t touch a Michelin again!

4weeks till the big tour and now I can see me actually enjoying it 👍
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Glad to hear you’re a happy bunny now😉. Mind you, it would’ve be interesting to hear your opinion if you’d ridden the RT with new front and rear Michelin PR4GT tyres, as opposed to a well worn front and a new rear tyre as you previously mentioned. Anyway, as has been said previously on here, tyre choices are a personal thing, so Michelins, Metzelers or whatever will be just that, a personal preference.
Kimbles
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2016
Great Britain

Post by Kimbles »

Steve F I had a test ride on an 18plate with 1500 miles on it with the pr4’s And although better as they were new I wasn’t enamoured with the feel of the bike....

Why buy the bike I hear you say well it’s a fantastic bike and tyres can be changed which I have and initial feelings are it’s just made the bike 120% better 😁👍
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Okay, each to their own I guess. Anyway, as long as you’re assured by the particular rubber on the bike and feeling confident, that IS what matters. Good luck on your forthcoming tour.🙂👍
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I'll be setting off in a few days for a 4000+ mile trip (Romania / Bulgaria) on my second set of PR4GTs.

I didn't have any issues in 9000 miles on the last set, if anything they felt better than the OE Z8s and a little longer-lasting.

Let's hope there's nothing on the trip to change my opinion of the Michelins (lots of showers forecast for the first week  >:( )
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE