Fuel Pump not pulling last gallon

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
AdamWebber

Fuel Pump not pulling last gallon

Post by AdamWebber »

I recently downgraded my 2014 R1200GS to a 2008 R1200RT.  I've had at least one BMW in my garage since 2003 so I'm not new to them.  I've done all of my own maintenance for years.  The other day I had a problem.  The RT said I had about 65 miles left until empty and it died on me.  I thought that the fuel pump had died and after some troubleshooting I found that the fuel pump wasn't pulling the last gallon or so from the tank.  To confirm this, I filled up the tank with 6 gallons (still 1 gallon remaining) and everything works fine.  So I know that the fuel gauge is reading approximately the correct value in the tank.  My GS would run out of fuel at 0 miles so I thought that this was interesting that the RT ran out at 65 remaining. 

So now that I know it's not pulling the last little bit of fuel from the tank, I was hoping to get someone to let me know why it isn't sucking it up from the bottom.  There's a strainer at the bottom of the fuel pump.  Could that be clogged?  Is there anything else that could have come loose or become plugged to prevent the last bit of fuel from being used?