Power Commander

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
MEM62

Power Commander

Post by MEM62 »

Anyone gone down the PCV and rolling road setup route a 2012 twin cam? Not looking for power increases- just want to correct the lean running and get the motor to run as it should. 
Last edited by MEM62 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MEM62

Re: Power Commander

Post by MEM62 »

That will be a no then.......
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I think most people have the ECU reprogrammed instead of going down the Power Commander route. Heard some good reports about www.hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk though have no personal experience of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

B787MECH wrote: I think most people have the ECU reprogrammed instead of going down the Power Commander route. Heard some good reports about www.hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk though have no personal experience of them.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have heard of them and read some favourable reports.  The problem is they are too far away for me. 
LAF

Post by LAF »

I have.  Both on my 15 RT and now on my 17.5 GS.
I love it and it helps these lean running motors like nothing else.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

MEM62 wrote: I have heard of them and read some favourable reports.  The problem is they are too far away for me.
Hilltop do a postal service - send them your ECU, it comes back to you all sorted. Lots of people have had it done, it's cheaper than having the full Dyno element of the service too. I'm about to send them my '06 one, having had my 1200ST done years ago, with tremendous results.
Pete
JC-RT

Post by JC-RT »

LAF wrote: I have.  Both on my 15 RT and now on my 17.5 GS.
I love it and it helps these lean running motors like nothing else.
ImageRe: Power Commander
Do you have the Auto Tune module on the '15 RT as well?
LAF

Post by LAF »

Yes.  This pic is of my GS where I just installed the PC5 with Auto Tune from the RT I sold.  It worked/works on both bikes.  I would have done the ECU or BMSK but sending over seas with customes and all it just seems like it would be a long process.
And since I owned the PC 5 I said the heck with it I may as well run it.
Here is a link to it.  I have the PC 5, Dual Auto Tune, and the POD 300 LCD screen.
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander.aspx?mk=2&mdl=72&yr=6993
JC-RT

Post by JC-RT »

Thanks for the info.  I currently have the Power Commander V on my '15 RT and was considering the Auto Tune as well.  I am currently running stock exhaust and filter, but that will eventually change.
Dynojet revised their installation instructions for the Power Commander V to leave the stock O2 sensors connected, which is a change from the 2014 instructions that had the stock O2 sensors disconnected.
I realize with the Auto Tune that the stock O2 sensors are replaced with broad band O2 sensors which are in turn connected to the Auto Tune Module. When disconnecting the stock O2 sensors did you get a code from the onboard computer?
zxbob

Post by zxbob »

For the US guys - I have used the PCV with auto tune on a number of my bikes in the past with great results. I almost purchased one for my RT. I found a BMW performance retailer in Arizona who reflashes your ECU. Stock numbers for the 2018 RT are advertised at 125 / 92 with the reflash they say it’s now 137 /105. I did not dyno my bike before or after so I cannot verify their numbers, but what I can say is what a noticeable improvement all over the rpm range. The cost was $500.00 which included overnight shipping so it was 4 days from the day I shipped it till the day I got it back. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a performance upgrade. My bike is a 2018 R1200RT with a full exhaust (stainless header & Acropvic muffler) stock paper air filter.
Good parts ain’t cheap and cheap parts ain’t good !
JC-RT

Post by JC-RT »

zxbob, do you have anymore information on the retailer in Arizona who does the reflash?
zxbob

Post by zxbob »

Vivid racing - talk to Blake, 866-448-4843 ext 8
JC-RT

Post by JC-RT »

Thanks
JMC

Post by JMC »

Hi
I installed on my completely stock 2010 RT TC a Power Commander V with Autotune.
My goal was to eliminate that roughness and lack of strength in the lower rpm, specially when you drive off and the engine wants to stall, and, if possible, to get a little extra power on full accelerations.
So far i found out that it is possible to make the engine to work much softer and stronger. Just program the autotune with a general AFR of 13.2 in all the target cells. Not sure if the engine gains any extra HP but it sure is much nicer to ride and makes you feel it is quicker.
However, that 13.2 AFR throughout all the target cells made the engine to use a all lot more fuel. I can say my range with a happy riding style, which before gave me a fuel range of 380/420 kms with a full tank, now was down to 300/320 kms with a full tank.
So now I'm trying to achieve a nice balance between power and low fuel consumption, by playng with the AFR values in the different zones of the engine power band.
Anyone has any custom PC V maps and Autotune AFR tables to share that already addressed this issue?

zxbob

Post by zxbob »

If your using auto tune you are already building your own map. If you haven’t watched the video on how to extract the auto tune map and insert it into your PCV it’s worth watching. That’s the beauty of having auto tune.