Minimum DIY maintenance

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Lateralus

Minimum DIY maintenance

Post by Lateralus »

Hi all, I'm a relatively new motorcyclist (had my license 20 months) and a very new RT owner (bought my 2010 model 3 days ago!).

I'm very much not a mechanically-minded person, and find that neither mechanical not electrical things come particularly easily to me. However, I'm just wondering what basic, routine maintenance I ought to be doing to my RT between services?

Obviously there's no chain to look after (one of the reasons I bought it!),but are there any other simple, regular tasks I should be doing?

I'm not daft, and would be happy to learn a bit more, but I'm always highly concerned about things going wrong and me making things worse!
Last edited by Lateralus on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Minimum DIY maintenance

Post by T6pilot »

give The bike a preride inspection, checking engine oil level while on center stand
(Oil level up to the bubble) check tire pressure with a quality accurate gauge, I do this before every ride
Look at overall condition of bike, I like taking a torx bit of proper size and check the security of all exposed screws, then remove seat and make sure battery cables are secure
If you have metzler tires I suggest checking trad wear regularly
Regular washing, helps you spot errant leaks
Other than the above, ride it and enjoy

Jim
Jim
percy

Post by percy »

When I first started motorcycling I did all my own maintenance and rebuilds - as much out of necessity as anything else.
Nowadays I find that regularly checking of oil and tyres (as Jim commented, use a quality pressure gauge) and a visual inspection is enough. Regular washing helps spot things that might be wrong.
Maybe I'm lucky but I find everything is fine between services which I get done at main dealers nowadays.
It's a bit basic but keep an eye on it and make sure nothing is loose or wobbly and that your oil and tyres are alright, get it regularly serviced and you should be just fine.
Last edited by percy on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lateralus

Post by Lateralus »

Excellent, just the types of responses I was hoping for!

What about winter riding, any trouble spots to look out for when cleaning it? Would normally look to give it a thorough cleaning and dose of ACF50 before any salt hits the roads, then a weekly clean and ACF50 top-up thereafter.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

If you are going to use your bike in winter possibly on salty roads then wash it after every ride. BMs corrode !! Keep it clean and dry and you will have no problems.

The only other maintenance item I would check would be a visual inspection of brake pads particularly the rear. Fronts last for ever but the rear brake pads can be worn out in as little as 6K miles depending on how you brake. I get between 8 - 10 K out of my rear pads buts thats on the LC model bike not sure what previous models are like but worth checking. I see you have bought 2010 model maybe owners of that model could comment.

Enjoy.
Lateralus

Post by Lateralus »

Well I'll try and rinse it down, but I'll be commuting daily so certainly won't be washing it after every ride!

Good to know about the pads, thanks. I'd already noticed that I use the rear on this much more than my previous Tiger Sport!
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

Lateralus wrote: Hi all, I'm a relatively new motorcyclist (had my license 20 months) and a very new RT owner (bought my 2010 model 3 days ago!).

I'm very much not a mechanically-minded person, and find that neither mechanical not electrical things come particularly easily to me. However, I'm just wondering what basic, routine maintenance I ought to be doing to my RT between services?

Obviously there's no chain to look after (one of the reasons I bought it!),but are there any other simple, regular tasks I should be doing?

I'm not daft, and would be happy to learn a bit more, but I'm always highly concerned about things going wrong and me making things worse!
I was much like you, for many years of bike ownership. I never did anything myself - other than oil level and tyre pressure checks - it was all left to the dealer or workshop at service time. When I got my first boxer, a 1200ST, it coincided with my retirement, and I thought it was time for a different approach - I knew the boxer was a fairly simple bike to work on (compared to my previous steeds) and I knew that I wasn't daft! I also knew that it would save me quite a lot of money if I made myself get to know the bike better, a great incentive in retirement! So....I bought a Haynes manual and a BMW workshop CD reprom and looked at what needed doing. I then spent a few hours (if that) watching some YouTube 'how-to' videos, and reading through some of Jim von Baden's very helpful tutorials - http://www.jvbproductions.com/
Armed with a basic understanding of what had to be done, and how to do it, I did my first service all on my own - oil and filter change/air filter/spark plugs/gearbox oil/final drive oil - a bit more involved on earlier bikes as the drain plug is in totally the wrong place and necessitates the drive being dropped down through 90 deg. Doing all that, laptop at my side in the garage, took around a couple of hours - there's nothing difficult about any of it. I sourced the parts/fluids from eBay or Amazon - Mahle or Mann filters (OE suppliers to BMW),good quality, in-spec oil (cheap anyway as fully synthetic is total overkill) and NGK plugs that can often be picked up much cheaper if you spot them listed for the Fiat Bravo rather than the 1200 boxers! The most 'difficult' part of the job on my ST was plastics removal, and that was 'fiddly' more than difficult - although my current '06 RT has more plastic, its easier to remove. 

I reckon the total cost for that first service was under £50. Next time around, I also checked the valve clearances (tappets!...how easy are they!) and the rocker gear end-float, again after watching a how-to video, and then having it on-hand in the garage while I was doing the job. That took less than an hour...and nothing needed adjusting anyway. The only thing I can't do is to balance the throttle bodies, but a local place does that for me at MoT time and only charges me £10 for it!
I've learned how to remove the rear brake caliper and give it a clean/lube to ensure that the slider pins aren't corroded and causing the brake to bind. Fitting pads is a doddle, front and rear - a fortune saved, again, courtesy of not being reliant on a dealer!  ;) I've found it all very satisfying, both gaining an understanding of the bike and the economising, of course.  ;D

You say you're not daft and are willing to learn a bit more - I'd say open up to a bit more involvement with your machine, get to know it better.....its satisfying and very therapeutic!

Pete

Last edited by milleplod on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lateralus

Post by Lateralus »

Thanks for that Pete, very encouraging! The two key issues at the moment are a 2 month old baby meaning I don't have any time, and the lack of a garage in which to do the work!

However, no doubt both those issues will be resolved in the future, at which point I am keen to have a go.