Yet to purchase, do I wait for the VVT model due out next year?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Bismarkphile

Yet to purchase, do I wait for the VVT model due out next year?

Post by Bismarkphile »

After months of research and test rides across many brands have finally come down to two motorcycles, the K16 and the R12. with a strong bias to the R12. The weight advantage of over 100lbs, and the smaller width , and removable pannier systems sealed it, as well as the extra feel in the front end on cornering.
The new model with VVT is supposed to increase the bhp to 150, which compared to the K16's 160 bhp is comparable. My question from those who are familiar with BMW as a company is am I likely to be the guinea pig on the remodelled boxer engine of the 2019 R12 with VVT, or am I better going for the heritage of a perfected bike and tried and true engine of the current 18 model? Do BMW have a history of not perfecting their innovations before going to market?  Is it likely that I will have a recall on the new model?
heathy65

Re: Yet to purchase, do I wait for the VVT model due out next year?

Post by heathy65 »

Most definately. worth waiting 12 months if you really want the VVT.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Not sure you are going to be a guinea pig for the new VVT engine as its more of another step in the boxer evolution rather than anything totally new. Personally I would wait to see how good or not so good the new engine bike is over the present model. If its good but not worth the high cost then there will be plenty of 2018 secondhand ones on the market to choose from as people upgrade to new model. Secondhand prices may drop a little.

Me I'm keeping my 2014 model for a few more years yet. Need to get my value out of the bike. My only grip of my model is the gear box. It will be interesting to see if the VVT model has a better clunk free gearbox.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Levisp wrote: Not sure you are going to be a guinea pig for the new VVT engine as its more of another step in the boxer evolution rather than anything totally new. Personally I would wait to see how good or not so good the new engine bike is over the present model. If its good but not worth the high cost then there will be plenty of 2018 secondhand ones on the market to choose from as people upgrade to new model. Secondhand prices may drop a little.

Me I'm keeping my 2014 model for a few more years yet. Need to get my value out of the bike. My only grip of my model is the gear box. It will be interesting to see if the VVT model has a better clunk free gearbox.

Yes, I totally agree. Except that the current Wetheads ( late 2016 onward) gearbox is pretty much clunk free...except into first from neutral (once warm)
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

There is always a reason wait, but I would say buy a current RT and enjoy it now :-) Peter
septikangel

Post by septikangel »

Peter Baker wrote: There is always a reason wait, but I would say buy a current RT and enjoy it now :-) Peter
Got my current and am enjoying it.
Lots of imperfections have been sorted.
The 2018 RT is good.
There never will be a perfect bike for everybody.

The future is bright, but now is very good indeed.
:enjoying: :enjoying: :enjoying: :enjoying: :enjoying:
1976 Norton Commando 850MkIII, 1994 Yamaha FZR1000RU, 2019 Honda Goldwing GL1800
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Consider whether those additional 25hp are necessary to meet your riding needs.  I ride a 2016RT, and have never lacked for power, whether riding up mountain passes, 2-up, or both at the same time.
BMW MOA #210438
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I traded a 1600gt for a 15RT, quite happy with the power of the current model, but another 25hp who would complain. The biggest gain for the RT over the GT is the weight savings, with the added power, my guess 1600 sales will tumble till Bmw adds power to it flagship bike
My dealer isn’t saying a word about 19 bikes, but I do see some discounts on remaining 18’s
Jim
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

timminator wrote: Consider whether those additional 25hp are necessary to meet your riding needs.  I ride a 2016RT, and have never lacked for power, whether riding up mountain passes, 2-up, or both at the same time.

Must admit I totally agree I don't need more power but I would like to the see the weak areas improved. There are a lot of small things that could be improved but that doesn't sell bikes. Big HP gains seems to even those who want more probably don't actually need it.
Bismarkphile

Post by Bismarkphile »

The extra HP will be noticeable low down. The K16 delivers 75% of its torque at up to 1500rpm . The variable valve timing on the R12 will likely do the same, or similar. I expect the difference will be more noticeable in the low RPM torque. This could improve the commuter city traffic experience , being able to stay in second 90% of the time (our zones are between 40-60 kph ( 25-35 mph), while also providing decent engine braking. The VVT will likely kick in around 4500 rpm which will suit long haul trips on our roads here. Many of Australia's interstate highways are long and straight, some go 240 kms without a bend, and towns 300 kms apart
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I don't think the power increase is as much as 160 bhp I read 132. They always save a bit more for the following year's all new model !
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

blokeonthemove wrote: I don't think the power increase is as much as 160 bhp I read 132. They always save a bit more for the following year's all new model !
I have been reading the same details lately. Originally had heard 150BHP, but later articles reporting only 134, only 9hp more than the current model.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2018/august/technical-details-2019-134bhp-bmw-r1250gs-and-r1250gs-adventure-revealed
BMW MOA #210438
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I wouldn't go so far as to describe someone buying the latest version as a Guinea pig, but my personal experience has been that he version at the end of its run is usually a little better sorted and at least a more known quantity than the brand new model.
The new bike will always get rave reviews and may indeed turn out to be a better (for you) bike, but you won't really know that for a further year down the road.
If you wait for the new model to be launched you'll probably buy one (and probably be happy with it) but if you buy the current model at a reasonable price, I know you'll be getting a great bike.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

History suggests that new BMW models tend to have more than their share of teething problems. I'd buy the present model and wait a few years to see how the new model develops.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Pickaxe wrote: History suggests that new BMW models tend to have more than their share of teething problems. I'd buy the present model and wait a few years to see how the new model develops.

+1