New RTW Owner, ascending the learning curve with questions - hope its ok to ask!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jstar40

New RTW Owner, ascending the learning curve with questions - hope its ok to ask!

Post by jstar40 »

Evening All,

John here, the new owner of a '14 RT with 48k (it kinda unexpectedly dropped into my lap in short order, so to speak:).  I'm familiar with other BMW's (funduro, f700GS, r1150r), but this touring bike is a different animal entirely (I recently took the f700gs out for a 250 mile spin that just beat the snot out of me - no way I'm touring on her, hence the move to the RTW!).

I didn't have the time to investigate all the ins and outs, aftermarket options, etc, so I hope it's ok to ask questions about items I don't feel like I'm otherwise finding comfortable answers to on the forums.  I had a full day to test ride her before I chose to buy - I was surprised how nimble it felt for a "big bike".  That said, get into the menu options and its clear I need to do some studying on how the controls work!

For example, I'm confused about what kind of gps/bluetooth audio integration makes sense.  One idea was to get a bluetooth headset for the helmet to operate the nav and music from my iPhone, but was thinking that dropping a Nav 5 in would be worthwhile upgrade to free up the phone for music and calls only. 

I'm assuming with BMW having done all the maintenance checks and servicing along the way that the bike is in proper order, but I still have questions like how long I can expect the steering head bearings to last (I checked them myself, they seem ok),when the shocks need to be serviced, when I need to replace the fork oil, is the electronic fault diagnostic tool a necessary addition, etc.

Anyways, I hope its ok to ask rookie questions as I trim this bike out.  I'm expecting a maiden voyage to Portland and possibly British Columbia within maybe 2 weeks once I get the new windscreen, bar risers, tank bag (which one!?),and the audio/Nav decisions worked out.

Glad to be aboard, many thanks for any replies!
Last edited by jstar40 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Re: New RTW Owner, ascending the learning curve with questions - hope its ok to ask!

Post by bandytales »

jstar40 wrote: Evening All,

Welcome along John.
jstar40 wrote:...[/size]this touring bike is a different animal entirely... I was surprised how nimble it felt for a "big bike".[/size]

It sure is.

jstar40 wrote:[/size]... get into the menu options and its clear I need to do some studying on how the controls work!

For example, I'm confused about what kind of gps/bluetooth audio integration makes sense.  One idea was to get a bluetooth headset for the helmet to operate the nav and music from my iPhone, but was thinking that dropping a Nav 5 in would be worthwhile upgrade to free up the phone for music and calls only. 

Once you work your way through the manual it all slowly starts to make sense.

jstar40 wrote:[/size]I'm assuming with BMW having done all the maintenance checks and servicing along the way that the bike is in proper order, but I still have questions like how long I can expect the steering head bearings to last (I checked them myself, they seem ok),when the shocks need to be serviced, when I need to replace the fork oil, is the electronic fault diagnostic tool a necessary addition, etc.

Your first assumption would be wrong. I'd advise giving the bike a good look over and establishing a baseline.
Ive never heard of steering head bearings going out on these bikes. As for shocks, there is no predictable timeline as it depends on so many things. Replace / service them when you feel them 'going south'.
As for an electronic fault diagnostic tool, well, if you intend to keep it and do your own maintenance, then a GS911 is pretty much essential.[/size]

jstar40 wrote:[/size]Anyways, I hope its ok to ask rookie questions as I trim this bike out.  I'm expecting a maiden voyage to Portland and possibly British Columbia within maybe 2 weeks once I get the new windscreen, bar risers, tank bag (which one!?),and the audio/Nav decisions worked out.

Glad to be aboard, many thanks for any replies!

Which screen are you getting?
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: New RTW Owner, ascending the learning curve with questions - hope its ok to ask!

Post by beemerboy9 »

jstar40 wrote:

My advice is to "keep it simple" and stick to what you know - but I am not clear what you are using to listen to nav and music if you do not currently have a BT headset. If you are perfectly happy with an iphone for nav and music on your 700/1150, then stay with it.

If you are used to an iphone screen then the Nav VI has a screen closer in quality and clarity to a good smartphone.

The radio is not that brilliant on FM so unless you are really intent on listening to Sirius radio, then i would ignore the radio bit of the bike until you have done some serious touring and know exactly what you want.
John Bentall
Rwslater
United States of America

Post by Rwslater »

I have a 2015 RT and have the Nav 5 and an iPhone.  I also have a SENA 20S on the helmet.  I used the SENA to bluetooth connect my iPhone for music and calls, and also bluetooth the NAV 5 to the SENA for nav commands.  The only thing I have noticed is that I have to bluetooth connect the NAV 5 to the SENA first and then connect the phone to it, not sure why but I do. 
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

Rwslater wrote: I have a 2015 RT and have the Nav 5 and an iPhone.  I also have a SENA 20S on the helmet.  I used the SENA to bluetooth connect my iPhone for music and calls, and also bluetooth the NAV 5 to the SENA for nav commands.  The only thing I have noticed is that I have to bluetooth connect the NAV 5 to the SENA first and then connect the phone to it, not sure why but I do.
Go to http://www.rka-luggage.com/A46%20SENA/V ... 0Page.html. There is a video on the sequence of connecting the bike, Nav, and phone.  The order is important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jstar40

Post by jstar40 »

Thank you very much!!