TOP CASE DISASSEMBLY

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

TOP CASE DISASSEMBLY

Post by jackronner »

Just finished 10k miles around the US and Canada, and the top case lid didn't pop off on my 2005 RT, but the left side sliders/posts in the base don't move to engage the lid's "teeth", and the seal on that side isn't water tight.  Right side works fine and holds it shut securely.  I assume that the sliding posts are actuated by a cable system, but it looks as if you have to remove the inner shell to expose the slider mechanism.  However, it would appear that parts of it are held on by rivets rather than screws, etc.  Blow up diagrams don't help, and they only show a photo of the lock mechanism, not a diagram. Given that the case costs about as much as a used car, don't want to experiment on it.  Anybody have any experience with this?
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Re: TOP CASE DISASSEMBLY

Post by Graham88 »

I took mine apart to rekey the lock. The rivets do not need to be removed to take out the inner shell.

Basically remove every screw you can see plus the nuts under the handle and the inner shell will come out.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks for the info.  I'm guessing that there are two actuating cables leading to the left and right sides?  Probably cost $300 apiece.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

From memory (I only did it three weeks ago) they are not Bowden cables, they are steel bands about half inch wide. I didn't actually pay much attention to the mechanism as I was only after the lock barrel; from what I saw there shouldn't be much to go wrong that isn't easily repairable.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Does this thread help at all?......scroll down it for pics.
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=831470&page=2
Pete
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Wow, I wasn't hopeful of getting any response at all!  Thanks again to all, and the pics were very helpful, Milleplod.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I'm the OP, and it just occurred to me that I may not have to  remove the inner shell of the top case.  My issue is the left side locking sliders aren't actuated by the handle, so I'm wondering if that can beg addressed, or at least assessed, by removing the handle alone (two screws and two nuts)?  Would that expose he workings?  No parts diagram I've seen shows the relevant parts, or even the handle.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

The mechanisms are actuated by a rack and pinion type system, with the pinion on the handle and rack sticking through the case. Since one rack operates all of the lid locks (and a second operating the case-to-bike mech), and some of those are working correctly I very much doubt you will see much just by removing the handle. Having said that, you have to remove some of it anyway so it's not going to hurt to have a look.

You should be able to have the case disassembled and re-assembled within a half hour with a torx key and a 8mm ring spanner, even if you don't fix the problem, you'll know for certain what it is.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, G88.
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Post by slparry »

Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1