BMW Warranty

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
GJ-MOTO

Re: BMW Warranty

Post by GJ-MOTO »

beemerboy9 wrote:
if you want to get legal, then I would have a chat to White Dalton solicitors or join Which? Personal Legal Service and talk to them. you could call an independent BMW servicing organisation near your home and ask whether they've heard of this problem.[/size]

I would concur with the others who say that LC motors generally don't use oil between services. It would indicate a possible failure on yours, if the oil is being consumed by the motor or pushed out through the breather - possibly a broken piston ring or valve.

Appreciate the info as they seem to be quoting the manual and I've counter that by using the manual back and haven't had any formal reply. Have ask for the puma case report that was submitted twice to BMW and what the garage had provided to them in there finding.
GJ-MOTO
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Sprintgull wrote: Mine is slightly higher mileage that yours but as others are saying here it uses hardly any oil.  When did you last check it (either using the oil level check from the wonderwheel or just having a look at the sightglass)?

Two weeks previously when I washed the bike over before swapping the bikes round and using my other one. Had lost any oil in the 1st 6000 miles and during my checks leading up too 11552 miles recorded. Anyone that know me knows I keep my bike clean and do regular checks.
GJ-MOTO
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

David. wrote: The oil-level sensor, https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0A03-EUR-01-2016-K52-BMW-R_1200_RT_0A03,_0A13_&diagId=12_2361 is basically a float.

With all the oil drained out of the engine, it would be interesting to know whether or not the low oil level warning is displayed.

Needs the engine running, which isn't possible without oil.

I would hope the can take the oil warning sensor off and bench test it.
GJ-MOTO
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Beagle wrote: I think it would strengthen your case if there was a sudden oil loss which was a warranty issue in itself then it would not be a maintenance issue.

Agree, but no investigation has been undertaken other than walking around the bike with a video camera and making assumptions to the cause.

Bike has been fully maintained by me and BMW and was already booking in two month in advance of it 1200 mile service to keep the warranty live. The issue with the engine occurred three days before it was due in to have this service.
GJ-MOTO
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Thanks for everyone's feedback, apologies I've been enjoy Scotland on my other reliable bike. So I have only just had the time to reply to the various post.

Will keep you updated on my progress and what the outcome is.
GJ-MOTO
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Retorichical question,  Without checking your manuals, according to your manuals, do you know how often you should check your oil levels. Are you aware that you should check your oil level every 3rd fill. But the manual also refers to another page that talks about levels and warning lights.

So if the oil level is ok when you start a journey and no indication is given during the journey, you would expect everything is ok? Most logical individuals would.  However BMW feel that when a bike developes a fault whilst being ridden, and the rider immediately ceases their journey as they have concerns that damage may be caused to the bike, even though no oil warning lights have been displayed, it's the riders fault as they should have known the bike had burnt high levels of oil during their journey.  There has been no logic to their response to decline repairs or further investigations as to what caused the bike to burn or loose excessive oil, other than referring me to the manual and when to check oil levels!!

They also refuse to acknowledge when the ITSA log was checked, that no warning lights had been displayed in the first instance, that this would indicate either, the bike was not at low levels of oil that would cause damage and was therefore running within its safe parimeters , and therefore there must be a further fault that has cause the damage.

They still insist this is customer error!!!
Last edited by GJ-MOTO on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJ-MOTO
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Seriously, until they take it apart and find out what has caused the oil to disappear you will get no further. They should be looking for a broken piston ring, valve stem seal, a problem in the oil circulation system - something that might cause excessive consumption. I barely top up between services.
I would pay up front and pray mightily that they can find the cause. You need to tell them that you are worried that this will happen again unless the root cause is found.

My old habits die hard, and I probably do check the sight-glass every "third-ish" fill.
John Bentall
julianq

Post by julianq »

I agree that BMW can be a pain, (still owe for switch gear after 12 moths that I refused to pay for), but how long does it take to check the sight glass? Do not do a full on powder check every day, but do a quick look over. I have also learnt over the years that a hot engine uses oil, ie traffic so look a bit harder if it overheats. Maybe none of this applies, know people who do not check and rely on services.
JQ 2007 R1200RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I doubt if you would burn enough oil on a journey to harm the engine, therefore if no oil leaks or smoke, then you have not been checking the oil level and its probably been happening for a while. Nobody relies on the oil warning light to come on before checking the oil levels. You wouldn't in a car, so what is different with a bike?
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote: ..... Nobody relies on the oil warning light to come on before checking the oil levels. You wouldn't in a car .....

Really ?  Nobody ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote:
Really ?  Nobody ?

Yeh your right, my wife would, but then she has me as a backup  8)
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

beemerboy9 wrote: Seriously, until they take it apart and find out what has caused the oil to disappear you will get no further. They should be looking for a broken piston ring, valve stem seal, a problem in the oil circulation system - something that might cause excessive consumption. I barely top up between services.
I would pay up front and pray mightily that they can find the cause. You need to tell them that you are worried that this will happen again unless the root cause is found.

My old habits die hard, and I probably do check the sight-glass every "third-ish" fill.

If an engine was burning that much oil you'd have noticeable power loss and seriously visible smoke trail. You suspect there's much more to this story.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I cannot remember where I read this or heard it but BMW considers an oil consumption rate of 1 litre / 1000 miles as normal. Now if this is correct then if you never check your oil level over 3000 miles you wouldn't have much left ! This of cause could be bollocks. Just for the record my LC goes from top of sight glass ring to middle over 6000 miles. Result I never have to top up. However I still check oil level after every ride.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

My 2014 LC doesn't seem to use any oil at all. Just had its 12k service a couple of weeks ago, I'll keep an extra special eye on it :)
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I did 25k miles on my 2014 LC and never had to top up the oil, my current 2018 biuke with 6K miles also hasn't needed topping up.