BMW Warranty

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
GJ-MOTO

BMW Warranty

Post by GJ-MOTO »

I would like to know if U.K. Owner have had issues with BMW not honouring the warranty,or push back when warranty issues are raised. Do they try to use the manual and blame the customer for not following the recommendation.

I have a 66 plate that's just done 11552 mile, bike has lost 2ltr of oil and not had any oil or engine fault displayed. Bike is washed and checked regular but not used in the summer as I use my other bike. Had my 6000 service done sept last year by BMW, didn't lose a drop of oil, hadn't lost a drop of oil leading up to my planned service on 14/09/2018. Until the bike was recovered and taken to my nearest BMW centre. The investigation consisted of walking around the bike and video the bike that showed the oil level low. Picking up on that point I've had no oil level warning lights displayed in the 11552 miles nor any oil pressure warning light leading up to the bike losing 2ltr of oil. The first I notice there was a problem is when I had a slight loss of power then a noise from the offside of the engine while filtering in traffic. The bike was pulled over parked and recovered to the BMW centre.

So a puma case was raised that just highlighted no oil and the video footage used. The bike wasn't strip down to do any minor investigations. BWM have refused to honour any warranty as they are blaming me the customer that the bike had no oil. But I've asked the question why would a bike have two safety features that didn't display any warning before the levels got seriously low. Why haven't the BMW centre interrogated the system for alarm faults or checked to see if the switches are functioning correctly.

Ive asked the BMW centre to investigation these but they won't unless BMW instruct them. I've also asked for there report conducted and a copy of the puma claim made. Having owned bikes for 30+ years and done my own checks and servicing. I find it strange that BMW dont investigate further and flatly refuse to investigate or honour the warranty. I'm sure some of you may be saying I didnt check the oil level. But the bike was washed two weeks previously before I park it up in the back of the garage. So when I wheel it out to use it, no sign of oil on the garage carpet. Should I need to check it, would the bike burn 2ltr of oil considering it hadn't lost a drop in the first 6000 miles and checks after that didn't indicate a problem.

It would be good to hear from other that may have had issues with BMW. As I seem to have a legal fight heading my way. Unless they reconsider and investigate or honour the warranty.
Last edited by GJ-MOTO on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
GJ-MOTO
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW Warranty

Post by David. »

Generally, I've found BMW Warranty Services very good at upholding any claims.

In 2007, I had a Hexhead which, after 6 months & 10,000 miles partially seized on one cylinder. The first thing BMW did was drop the oil out & measure the quantity, which was correct.
Prior to this, the bike had four oil & filter changes, at 600 miles by the BMW dealer, 3,000 miles by myself, 6,000 miles by the BMW dealer & 9,000 miles by myself, all documented in the service book.
The claim was upheld & repairs completed.

The T&C's of the BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty say, it will not cover, "repair or replacement required wholly or partially due to lack of maintenance".
IMO, insufficient oil is lack of maintenance.

A little trick an ex-army friend told me about a generator which ran out of oil, top it up with oil (used oil if necessary),  before calling in the troops.
Last edited by David. on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Sorry to hear your bad news with the engine. It would seem that your argument is that there was no indication of low oil level to warn you of the impending damage. Unfortunately I think BMW will probably maintain that the oil level should be checked at the sightglass regularly. With even a very low level of oil the oil pressure light might not illuminate as it really only indicates no oil pressure. The oil level indication might not be considered reliable enough to rely on ( pretty pointless then!) The engine must have been burning a lot of oil (which is unusual on the LC) rather than a oil leak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

GJ-MOTO wrote:The first I notice there was a problem is when I had a slight loss of power then a noise from the offside of the engine while filtering in traffic.
At this time, was the bike burning oil, (smoke showing from the exhaust).
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

BMW may mean that when the oil light comes on there is insufficient oil to maintain adequate lubrication ( breakdown of oil due to temperature) at speed. The same will apply at the point just before the light comes on so although there is no oil light on there is insufficient oil.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

I've always found BMW dealers to be the best when it comes to warranty claims. In fact, when I reported warped discs on my first RT (2006 MY), rather than ask me to bring the bike in for inspection, they ordered the discs from BMW and fitted them on my next service visit.

If they're not honouring your warranty claim, I would suggest they feel they're on pretty solid ground.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Pickaxe wrote:When I reported warped discs on my first RT (2006 MY),  rather than ask me to bring the bike in for inspection, they ordered the discs from BMW and fitted them on my next service visit.
Had the discs changed on my 2007 RT, think it was a problem with the way they mounted to the wheel.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

GJ-MOTO wrote: It would be good to hear from other that may have had issues with BMW. As I seem to have a legal fight heading my way. Unless they reconsider and investigate or honour the warranty.

if you want to get legal, then I would have a chat to White Dalton solicitors or join Which? Personal Legal Service and talk to them. you could call [size=2px]an independent BMW servicing organisation near your home and ask whether they've heard of this problem.[/size]

I would concur with the others who say that LC motors generally don't use oil between services. It would indicate a possible failure on yours, if the oil is being consumed by the motor or pushed out through the breather - possibly a broken piston ring or valve.
John Bentall
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Mine is slightly higher mileage that yours but as others are saying here it uses hardly any oil.  When did you last check it (either using the oil level check from the wonderwheel or just having a look at the sightglass)? 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The oil-level sensor, https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=12_2361 is basically a float.

With all the oil drained out of the engine, it would be interesting to know whether or not the low oil level warning is displayed.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I think it would strengthen your case if there was a sudden oil loss which was a warranty issue in itself then it would not be a maintenance issue.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

On the topic of warranty claims, I have always found BMW to be very fair and helpful, although my claims have never involved anything as serious as serious engine issues.

As for engine oil, I very rarely do a visual check at the sight glass because (a) I carry out fairly regular checks via the wonderwheel, (b) I have learned that my bike doesn't normally consume / lose any significant amount of oil between services and (c) I would expect an oil warning light to come on in time to allow me to pull over and switch off before the engine eats itself.

Isn't it slightly ridiculous of BMW say that the light is only going to come on after the oil is so low that the engine will have suffered severe damage ?  That's not a warning light as I understand it - that's a light to tell me I have a big bill coming my way.  Not funny, BMW !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

For BMW to honour the warranty I think there has to be a sudden oil loss associated with the oil light warning otherwise they must assume the bike has been run for a greater period with low oil which as has been mentioned may not be adequate enough for engine protection at speed.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Beagle wrote: BMW may mean that when the oil light comes on there is insufficient oil to maintain adequate lubrication ( breakdown of oil due to temperature) at speed. The same will apply at the point just before the light comes on so although there is no oil light on there is insufficient oil.

But isn't the pressure oil and low oil there for protection to prevent engine damage? The bike was washed two weeks previously and then park in the garage while I used my other bike. So level was ok then and no sign of leaks when I pulled it out to use it two weeks later. As the bike isn't LC model no issues with the temperature all running normal and within the parameter displayed on the instrument panel.
GJ-MOTO
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

David. wrote: At this time, was the bike burning oil, (smoke showing from the exhaust).

Bike wasn't burning oil and the level was checked regular when I washed it in the winter period every two weeks, to identify if it had burned any. I know from previous none LC models that it was common for the engine to burn oil due to high temperatures.
GJ-MOTO