OEM Power Sockets

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
kioolt
United States of America

OEM Power Sockets

Post by kioolt »

I want to rewire the power outlets on my 2018 RT straight to the battery.  [size=2px]My bike has the outlet at the rear also.  [/size]Does anyone know what type of electrical connectors are on the OEM sockets?  I would like to have the right ones on hand before I go through the trouble of getting to them.  Also,  does anyone know of a shortcut way of doing this?  Example given, unplug the yyy conductor cable near the xxxxx and hook it up to the battery.
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: OEM Power Sockets

Post by milleplod »

The rear of the auxiliary socket looks like this. I searched for ages, but never managed to find a plug to match it!
Pete
Attachments
BMWPower.jpg
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is the female socket that fits to the rear of the auxiliary socket part of the main wiring harness, therefore, unlikely to be available as a repair lead.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

The lead is available, but only as part of the auxiliary socket kit that you would buy if your bike had no power socket from the factory. Somewhere in the rear loom is the connector for one end of that lead to plug into. I searched (and searched....and searched.....) for the plug I've shown in the pic, but gave up in the end!
Pete
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

This best I can find is the additional socket and wiring harness from Motorworks. This could be adapted for your needs but its pricey.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=36&Ct=IA&SbCt=BA_15_36_IA_80
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Alternatively scrap the OEM sockets and replace with Powerlet sockets. I see your in the States so they should be readily available.

http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product ... its/SKTKIT

Complete kit harness inline fuse and battery connectors.
Last edited by Levisp on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

How about tracing the auxiliary socket(s) power lead back to the main wiring harness, disconnect it and see if there is a repair lead that can be used to wire directly to the battery, complete with an inline fuse.

Item no.3 is an example of the auxiliary socket(s) lead to the main wiring harness, gives some idea of what to look for.
Last edited by David. on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

It looks like the easiest and cheapest way will probably be to replace the existing BMW outlets with Powerlets.
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Just rethinking this - if the OP is wanting to connect the sockets direct to the battery, why not just snip the wires at the back of the sockets, leaving the original plug connected, properly tape up the wires remaining in the loom, then extend from the back of the socket to the battery, with the new cable tied to the loom? Or am I missing something....?!

Pete
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

milleplod wrote: Just rethinking this - if the OP is wanting to connect the sockets direct to the battery, why not just snip the wires at the back of the sockets, leaving the original plug connected, properly tape up the wires remaining in the loom, then extend from the back of the socket to the battery, with the new cable tied to the loom? Or am I missing something....?!

Pete

I'm guessing he wants to keep it so he can put it back to OEM if he sells the bike. However he could cut the wires and use a good quality waterproof plug / socket. That way he could be put back to OEM by just plugging the socket back into harness.
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

Add a direct wired and fused powerlet plug next to the Bmw plug on right upper panel, did it on my 15, unibit drill creates the correct hole for powerlet plug
One word of caution when removing upper side panels, those cheesy tabs are easy to break
Jim
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

kioolt wrote: It looks like the easiest and cheapest way will probably be to replace the existing BMW outlets with Powerlets.

As you are wiring direct to the battery (via a fuse) you can just disconnect the BMW loom from the OEM socket and tuck it up with a zip-tie, then remove the OEM socket and keep it for when you sell the bike and want to put it all back to original spec. A replacement socket can then be fitted where the BMW one came from and no one could tell the difference. - That is what I did !!    :silence: [size=78%] [/size]
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

I think I will only replace the front socket with a non-BMW plug.  It appears the easiest one to get to.  Also, the rear socket should be able to handle my wife's heated vest since both sockets together are rated for 10 amps according to the owner's manual I downloaded.