Starter not working

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
hessam69

Starter not working

Post by hessam69 »

Hi,

I own a 2006 R1200RT with 87,000 miles and I have never had any problems with it.

After a period of inactivity for 18 months were the bike was not started, I tired to start it and it would not, but I could hear the starter solenoid throwing. I am using a car battery that is fully charged and jumper cables.

I then bridged the two terminals on the starter together using two screwdrivers and the starter engaged. I removed the starter and ran it out of the engine, and it works fine. After re-installing the starer, no start. Any ideas please?

Thank you
DeltaBravo
Bike Model and Year: BMW RT1200
United States of America

Re: Starter not working

Post by DeltaBravo »

Does the engine turn over by hand (take out the plugs and rotate the rear wheel).  Sitting for 18 months may have caused something to "freeze" up.

Good luck.

Dennis
hessam69

Post by hessam69 »

I had thought about that, but when I bypassed the starter solenoid and powered the starter directly the engine sounded like it turned. It made the normal starter sound. I guess I could remove the plugs and try moving the bike back and forth in gear thank you
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

hessam69 wrote:I then bridged the two terminals on the starter together using two screwdrivers and the starter engaged. I removed the starter and ran it out of the engine, and it works fine.
Looking at the video in this link, https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Start ... w-val4.htm, it shows two tests.

One checks the solenoid is working & the other the starter motor itself.
Bikerman1042

Post by Bikerman1042 »

Is the starter motor a pre engaged type?  This means that when the solenoid is activated, the starter pinion is driven into mesh with the ring gear.  If the pinion is sticking, it wont shift, and the motor wont spin over until the pinion is meshed with the ring gear