2018 RT peg vibration/thrumming

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Pabst

2018 RT peg vibration/thrumming

Post by Pabst »

So I picked up my new 2018 RT today, what an awesome bike! I took it out for a ride and while cruising on a smooth road at about 50mph I noticed vibration in the pegs.  It was more of a thrumming like something out of balance or the feeling you get when you have a bad chain on a bike or a worn sprocket, waa..waa..waa..waa....waa....I'd pull in the clutch and coast and it would lessen.... I think.  Is this what they do?  I only have about 75 miles on it now.
Last edited by Pabst on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murgie

Re: 2018 RT peg vibration/thrumming

Post by Murgie »

What gear are you in at 50 mph?
Dee Dub

Post by Dee Dub »

My RT LC appears to transfer road surface vibrations to the footpegs far more than all the other bikes I have ridden over the decades. I'm not talking about bumps or potholes, but the nature of the road surface. Near my house, there are some 'traffic calming' raised sections that are paved in small tiles. Riding on that surface it feels like the engine or transmission has developed a major problem, then I drop onto the asphalt and the sensation disappears. Even differences in asphalt can be felt through the footpegs!

I suggest you give it a while and keep an eye on how changes in road surface affect the vibration. That's assuming things don't deteriorate greatly, of course.
DW
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Pabst wrote:  Is this what they do?  I only have about 75 miles on it now.
No they don't do that.
Your dealer is where you need to be heading. They may suggest you get some more miles on it.
Do the dealers have a Demo or secondhand bike you could ride for comparison?

guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Dee Dub wrote: My RT LC appears to transfer road surface vibrations to the footpegs far more than all the other bikes I have ridden over the decades. I'm not talking about bumps or potholes, but the nature of the road surface. Near my house, there are some 'traffic calming' raised sections that are paved in small tiles. Riding on that surface it feels like the engine or transmission has developed a major problem, then I drop onto the asphalt and the sensation disappears. Even differences in asphalt can be felt through the footpegs!

I suggest you give it a while and keep an eye on how changes in road surface affect the vibration. That's assuming things don't deteriorate greatly, of course.

Yes, I agree with the above and it's something you forget about with time and mileage. It's better not to analyse every little anomaly and ride the bike because they (BMW twins) are quite apart from other models.
Pabst

Post by Pabst »

Murgie wrote: What gear are you in at 50 mph?

I've tried it in 3rd through 6th and it lessens the higher the revs are, maybe I'm just freaking out but I was on a newly paved road when I first noticed it, I'll have to check again but it sure seemed like something is out of round or balance.  I also set the suspension to soft when I noticed it.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

The electronic suspension on the RT takes some adjusting too (no pun intended) and especially at lower speeds you notice slight wheel noise etc,  however, you'll really notice how good it is as the speed increases and you work it harder.
Pabst

Post by Pabst »

Pickaxe wrote: The electronic suspension on the RT takes some adjusting too (no pun intended) and especially at lower speeds you notice slight wheel noise etc,  however, you'll really notice how good it is as the speed increases and you work it harder.

I went about 100 miles today and I felt it through pegs on the way up but I wasn't really aware of it on the way back, maybe just was just from lugging it in 6th gear.  Maybe it's just something I just got used to after my other bikes not doing it.  What a nice bike for freeway cruising!  It was about 42 degrees here and I set the electric seat to 2 and handgrips to 2 also, never even felt a chill with light gloves and jacket. 8)