Oil level window

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Buck
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2018

Oil level window

Post by Buck »

Hi there just bought a 2010 BMW R1200RT with 20k on the clock last week, rides lovely. Noticed the oil level window just looks white? I gave the bike a good ride to warm her up, got home put her on the center stand for five minutes then checked the circular window on the left hand side. Can not see any oil level just looks white? There is no low oil light showing. The bike had a full service in April by main BMW dealer and has only done 200 miles since. Is the oil level low? Does the window dis colour with age? I am a bit concerned as do not want to overfill but also don't want to run low.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Oil level window

Post by milleplod »

Hi Buck, welcome to the Forum.

It may be that what you're seeing is actually silver, rather than white, which is what you see when the oil is low in the glass. Get someone to help with tipping the bike towards you, sidestand up, so you can see the oil start to show in the glass, then you'll know what it looks like when there's oil visible.....if you only have to tilt it a little from the upright for oil to appear in the glass, there's more than enough in there to have a run out again so you can top up to the level. If it was overfilled, the glass will be full of whatever colour your oil is - a lovely golden hue if it's new, black if it's old! The best way to make sure the right amount is in there - now you're worried that it's low! - is probably to start from scratch and do an oil and filter change (or just oil, capacities for both are in the handbook) and then fill with the specified amount. The light on my RT ('06) is a pressure light, I'm not familiar with later models - does yours have a low level warning too? If it does, and it's not come on, then the oil's not that low, so have another ride out, get it hot, check the level on return and top up to the recommended level. Or....don't worry too much - because the bike survived the ride today! - do another and top up on return!

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This photo shows an oil level between the min. & max. levels.

If the bike has an on-board computer, the Oil-level reminder (Oil) can be accessed via the "INFO" button on the LHS handlebar switch.
If "Oil" is selected to be displayed in the BC area, when the engine is hot, running & in neutral, is the "tick" symbol shown where - - - appears in the photo.

When the <!> symbol + "Oil" appear on the display, the engine oil level is too low.

Insufficient engine oil pressure is indicated by the General warning (triangle) light flashing red, plus the Oil-can symbol appears on the display.
Last edited by David. on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck

Post by Buck »

Thanks for that milleplod did not think about tipping the bike over. Just been in the garage and put it on the side stand but still nothing showing! Maybe it needs to go further over. The oil fill in my bike is on the right hand cylinder and the window is on the left hand side in front of the cylinder on the block. If I am looking at the right thing which I am sure I am. My previous bike was a BMW K1200LT which had the filler and window both on the right hand side. I will have to put her further over tomorrow with some assistance, however I would not have thought that she would have burnt that much oil in 200 miles.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

If I were you, for peace of mind, I'd whip the sump plug off and drain the oil - you should get between 3.5 - 4ltr out (a change with filter calls for 4ltr). That way you'll know what's been put in - it's possible that the dealer messed up, it happens! I assume your bike doesn't have the level-check facility that Dave has highlighted?

Pete
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

An alternative to dropping the oil out, would be to put some in! For a 2010 TC, the difference between MIN and MAX is 0.5 litre. Obviously, as above, if the bike is initially put on the side stand whilst first adding oil, it would require the minimum amount before any shows on the sight glass. After that, put it on the centre stand and fill it to the correct level.

Dealers do mess up, mine has too much oil in.
Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

On my 2007 RT the oil warning light does seem to work.

I would avoid putting more oil unless you are absolutely sure it needs it.

milleplod

Post by milleplod »

ds99 wrote: On my 2007 RT the oil warning light does seem to work.

I would avoid putting more oil unless you are absolutely sure it needs it.
That's why I suggested draining and starting from scratch - can't really go wrong then.
Pete
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Buck wrote:Noticed the oil level window just looks white?
Does the sight glass look like this one.

Photo taken from this thread, http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r110 ... ement.html
Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Buck wrote: Hi there just bought a 2010 BMW R1200RT with 20k on the clock last week, rides lovely. Noticed the oil level window just looks white? I gave the bike a good ride to warm her up, got home put her on the center stand for five minutes then checked the circular window on the left hand side. Can not see any oil level just looks white? There is no low oil light showing. The bike had a full service in April by main BMW dealer and has only done 200 miles since. Is the oil level low? Does the window dis colour with age? I am a bit concerned as do not want to overfill but also don't want to run low.

I think you have enough reason to drain the oil, check it and if it is OK put it back in, otherwise put in some new oil. The window should not be white. How about a picture please.
Buck

Post by Buck »

Yes the window does look like that but more totally white. Definitely different to my LT which was much more clear. I added 200ml of oil this morning then went for a ride. Put her on side stand when I got back but could still not see a level. I am going to contact the previous owner tomorrow night to see if he can throw any light on it. ( if he is truthful!) Failing that I will drain the oil at the weekend. I will try and post a picture.
Buck

Post by Buck »

[attachimg=1]
Attachments
IMG_20181114_203711.jpg
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Buck wrote: [attachimg=1]

Needs a new window pal. This is how it should look. Obviously not that full, I've not fired mine up since putting 3.8 Litres in it due to having no header pipes on it.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

GS 1200 Adventure Oil Sight Glass Change, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Mj2R8KGgw

R1150 GS Oil Level Window Replacement, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVcwkB9qFcI

K100 Motorbike, Oil sight glass removal, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac6krcSjl6g
Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.