anyone waering Rukka?
If so thoughts? 
I’m
Thinking of buying some Rukka thunder r gear. Any advice

Coach
GJ-MOTO

Re: Rukka gear

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Expensive but good quality, had to return my kit a few time as the trousers and jacket allow water onto my base layers.

Consider Klim gear slightly cheaper and they will repair minor damage. Rukka won't so don't damage the kit or make sure you have it insured.

GJ-MOTO
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

I used Rukka for years, my last stuff was around 9/10 years old when I swapped to something else, and it was still 100% waterproof with no faults at all....it was worth every penny of the then-fortune that I paid for it. But....it was the 'old-school' drop-liner stuff, so was capable of absorbing at least 10-times its own weight in rainwater and took forever to dry out, and was also way too heavy and bulky for hot weather. The reason Rukka don't offer repairs any longer is, I believe, becuase they moved production to China.

I decided last year to buy some new stuff. Initially, I bought Held gear in a sale - really good gear, especially at under £200 for jacket and trousers....very well made, very functional, very comfy, and, like the Rukka, completely waterproof in the worst of downpours. But it was 'old-school' again - I was drawn in by the price! So....I bit the bullet and went for Halvarssons stuff - the Walkyr jacket and Wish trousers. They're laminated, so are relatively lightweight and they don't absorb water when wet, it just beads on them and rolls off. Superb kit....and well under £1000 for the pair, a fair saving over Rukka gear.
Pete
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've had a Rukka Navigator suit for 3 years now, been 100% warm and waterproof, covered around 25k miles in it, I'm a blood biker so out in all weathers. I did however have a little bit of stitching come undone on my trouser pocket, but Rukka repaired and lent me a pair of trousers until mine were back. Rukka still come with a 6 year warranty in the UK, but beware it doesn't cover wear and tear :) I would buy again been very pleased.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I wear a Rukka Armas suit in Winter and touring. Expensive but mine in January will be 10 years old and still looks like new. I must have done 100K miles in it. I do look after it. Wash and reproof once a year. The rubber zip on the jacket had to be repaired. It went to Austria to Goretex repair centre. All was handled quickly and was totally free ! Apparently the zip has a lifetime warranty. Overall money well spent.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Coach C wrote: anyone waering Rukka?
If so thoughts? 
I’m
Thinking of buying some Rukka thunder r gear. Any advice

Coach

Expensive, stiff, and no better than any other good kit. If you like it and can afford it, then go for it, but it is not worth the price hike over other high quality riding gear.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

If commuting all year worth it or another laminated suite. Check out motorlegends website some useful advice on there.(just bear in mind they are retailer and only advertise there products). Read good reviews on the new oxford (laminated suite) jacket priced at £250. Personally found Rukka to stiff and overpriced for my needs so opted for Alpinestars.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
Expensive, stiff, and no better than any other good kit. If you like it and can afford it, then go for it, but it is not worth the price hike over other high quality riding gear.

I would agree, all the high end kit is good. But how many give a 6 year warranty?
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Its funny when I hear folk say to me "Wearing Rukka that's expensive" My answer is is it ? My suit cost 10 years ago £1100 So thats a cost of £110 / year so far. From the condition of the suit I expect it to last another 10 years. Is £55 / year expensive ? However things have moved on since I bought my suit. There are now more top manufacturers making good quality laminated gear. My advice would be buy the best laminated suit you can afford, look after it and it will repay you with keeping you warm, dry and just that little bit safer. Buy cheap and in the long run its bound to cost more and be less effective. Rukka are good but there are others, check out the Motoledgends website or better still go and talk to them.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Best value for money kit I ever had was Hein Gericke (back when they had a network of stores).  Mid price, lasted 9 years before the lining fell apart and it got scruffy without EVER letting in water.

Currently using Halvarssons drop liner Prince/Prime combo which is brilliant although a bit more venting would have been good this last summer.  Tried Rukka in the shop but thought it was uncomfortable and expensive compared to H'ssons.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Sprintgull wrote: Best value for money kit I ever had was Hein Gericke (back when they had a network of stores).

You know, i was the same. I used my HG kit every day with a 160 mile there and back commute. It was used all year round and the jacket never gave up. I got bored with it and moved onto some other brand (an old Gendarme style blue BMW street guard, which has been very comfortable but certainly did leak!).
I think my HG trousers did have a crutch leak if you rode in the rain long enough, but my memory fades to remember at what point the leak started.
The bottom line is, there is other stuff out there which is good too.
wethead

Post by wethead »

I bought a cheap pair of pants at Cyclegear which has lasted me for ever.

A cheap rain pant and jacket that goes over for cooler weather.

The cheapest best jacket in the market for colder stuff: Tourmaster: I still have the Transition2 model, they are up to Transition5

I cannot get behind an 800 pair of pant nor an 800 jacket...I am not gonna argue that they may be better made, but Geez!, to get road grime on? That's all a jacket does: get road grime. The rest they all do the same also: keep you warm, wind off.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I need to send my jacket back because the coating on the main zip has cracked open, also the little zips which hold the inner jacket in are a bit soft and the tails are coming off. One thing I don't like about my jacket is the inner jacket is lined with a fleecy material, which means in hangs up on whatever you are wearing underneath. Other manufacturers tend to use a silky type material to facilitate sliding on and off.