Denali cansmart...amazingly simple!

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Denali cansmart...amazingly simple!

Post by Casbar »

Do you need the Denali wiring extension leads for the D2 mount or is the wiring that comes with the lights and can smart long enough?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

If you are asking me, the Cansmart comes with long wiring harness for lights so should be ok shouldnt it?
Just need to decide on the cable length before I order the Innovv C5. Either 1.8m or 3m. Am inclined toward 3m as I could lose the excess but would be a bummer if it was too short.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: If you are asking me, the Cansmart comes with long wiring harness for lights so should be ok shouldnt it?
Just need to decide on the cable length before I order the Innovv C5. Either 1.8m or 3m. Am inclined toward 3m as I could lose the excess but would be a bummer if it was too short.

Not sure, as the CanSmart is located under the silver cover behind the pillion seat, therefore the cables have to come from the wing mirror brackets all the way to the back of the bike. So would like somebody who has done the install to confirm (unless you have of course). If they are not needed, why would they sell an extension lead for an extra cost.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

In the kit is 2x 4ft led light cables, so I would think that they will be long enough, but would be a pity to order and then find the extension cables are needed :)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Thanks guys. Just going to do the camera first then when my piggy banks put on some more weight I’ll get the lights.
Trilergy

Post by Trilergy »

I used the CanSmart wiring as is. Bought the lights without wiring.
It was an almost perfect fit...ran the  cable down LHS. It was a bit tight getting to the RHS light but I had too much spare I realised. Adjusted carefully and there was exactly enough.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Trilergy wrote: I used the CanSmart wiring as is. Bought the lights without wiring.
It was an almost perfect fit...ran the  cable down LHS. It was a bit tight getting to the RHS light but I had too much spare I realised. Adjusted carefully and there was exactly enough.

Thanks  8)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Done the fwd camera, next is the lights.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

On the advice of Denali, I purchased two light extension cables, it made the install very easy, took off both side outer and inner panels and ran the cables back. But now I've traded the bike, I have to take it all off again so I can install on my new bike when I get it. At least I know the score now :)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote: On the advice of Denali, I purchased two light extension cables, it made the install very easy, took off both side outer and inner panels and ran the cables back. But now I've traded the bike, I have to take it all off again so I can install on my new bike when I get it. At least I know the score now :)

Are the side panels easy to remove to fit the pod brackets?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote:
Are the side panels easy to remove to fit the pod brackets?

Plenty of advice on how to remove them on the net and in the manuals, not difficult at all, just need to be careful. The inner panels to route the cables are also just held in by screws, so you just have to make sure you put the correct screws back in, when refitting them. You will need torx screwdrivers to fit the brackets, a torx bit and socket won't have enough reach to go through the bracket
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:
Plenty of advice on how to remove them on the net and in the manuals, not difficult at all, just need to be careful. The inner panels to route the cables are also just held in by screws, so you just have to make sure you put the correct screws back in, when refitting them. You will need torx screwdrivers to fit the brackets, a torx bit and socket won't have enough reach to go through the bracket

Thanx

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:

The lights came today, very pleased with the quality of them and the brackets. The instructions look good and are very comprehensive. I would be grateful if you could explain the purpose of the plastic lens in the box.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

The lights come setup for spot, the lens are fog lamp lens, so you can swap to fog rather than spot, or have one of each.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote: The lights come setup for spot, the lens are fog lamp lens, so you can swap to fog rather than spot, or have one of each.

Thanks for your help. Wont be doing much riding in fog. :)