Trip plans for 2019

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
stayingupright

Trip plans for 2019

Post by stayingupright »

Traditional time of year on here to start the bragging rights to what you have planned to ride in 2019.
I'm expecting to stay UK based next year but I'm not rulling out a quick trip abroad.
Where ya goin'?
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Trip plans for 2019

Post by milleplod »

Scotland for me, at the back end of May, round-trip of around 12/1300 miles. Then in June through France to Spain, near Girona, to meet the rest of the family who'll have taken the easy option and flown to the villa! Hopefully I'll make it in one piece this time - I got wiped up on my 1200ST only 100 miles south of Caen back in May this year, had to complete the journey in a hire car! I'm hoping to visit friends near La Rochelle next year too, a few days with them and then east to Limoges to see someone there - hopefully, that'll be in September.

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

A few of us are going to the Black Forest at the back end of May, then we have a 'jolly boys' weekend where Bude in Cornwall is looking like the destination for this year, Shropshire for the RT Weekend, and hopefully another couple of long weekends arranged at short notice. 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I have a long weekend in Ypres in April, a week on a guided / organised trip to the NW200 in May, a week in June in Zell am See (for the grossglockner) with my local club followed by 5 to 7 days on my own maybe staying at a friends in Switzerland, a long weekend camping at Shell Island in July, and a long weekend in the Ardennes in August.Phew.
exhussar
Bike Model and Year: bmw r1200rt
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by exhussar »

Have a welsh weekend planned for beginning of April with a group of friends from various parts of  England.
Then at the end of May a couple of days in Luxembourg following onto the Black forest and Bavarian Alps.

Then will have to see what else lies instore ( wife permitting )
well having the go ahead from the wife myself and some former Ex forces friends are making a trip to Normandy
to celebrate the capture of Mont PINCON
Last edited by exhussar on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

BMW MOA Rally in Tennessee in June. Around Lake Superior in July. Plenty of shorter weekend trips. Maybe another Iron Butt ride sometime before end of 2019.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

A long haul (from Scotland) down to the Chunnel.

Then down through France avoiding tolls, into Italy still trying to avoid tolls with a couple of nights in Rimini.  All the way down to the toe of Italy and a ferry to Sicily to visit Etna on the way to a couple of nights in Palermo.  Back to the mainland and head for the ferry at from Bari to Croatia.

After a couple of nights in Dubrovnik it's up the Adriatic coast through Slovenia into Italy and head for home via Austria.

It's just a plan at the moment, but target date is second week in May - Brexit or no Brexit !  >:(
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Planning a run down to Normandy and a tour of the invasion beaches and museums , hanging on to see what our freinds in Whitehall do about Brexit !!!!!
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

hammo wrote: Planning a run down to Normandy and a tour of the invasion beaches and museums , hanging on to see what our freinds in Whitehall do about Brexit !!!!!
This may well be the same as my plans for this year.
Might see if there is any interest in getting a group together around June if anyone is interested
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

At the worst, Brexit could introduce the need for a temp visa and possibly a green card for driving/riding through mainland Europe. Not really a big deal, but then if you believe the relentless mainstream media crap and political scaremongering re travel after Brexit, then you won’t want to go anywhere!!😉😂🤪
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

Not a huge Tour as such but I'll be heading to the Isle of Man for the TT Practice week.So West Sussex to Liverpool and accross on the Ferry & Back.
Not an epic Journey but it will certainly be the longest I've done for a few years.
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

Retiring in 3 weeks time  :clap:
Going on a weeks trip to the West coast of Ireland  in May followed by a 10 day trip to the Alps in June with a mate. All booked and sorted.
A holiday in France with my better half in July will provide relaxation  and of course you can tell by the selection of destinations that I have total and utter confidence in the government to ensure that my travel plans will not be disrupted by Brexit!
Isn't life grand  8)
jbarr

Post by jbarr »

Retiring this year and taking off July and August to burn off some leave. Going to start at the most easterly point of North America (Cape Spear in my home Province of Newfoundland) and then heading West across Canada to Whitehorse, Yukon on a solo bike trip. Will take a quick run from Whitehorse to the Alaskan border at a point that is the most Westerly part of Canada. Then back home again, if my old bones can take it. Trip is 9000k each way by the most direct route....which i will be avoiding! Should be quite an adventure on my 2017 RT and i expect to go through a couple sets of tires.

UPDATE on 09-August 2019: Left on July 1st, arrived back home on July 27th, traveled a total of 18,221 kilometers.  Went solo with a planned route but no schedule, booking motels on the day of.  Ultimate freedom.  Awesome trip!
Last edited by jbarr on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Riding my ‘11 rt from San Diego to Atlanta in mid April.  Taking the southern route through the gulf states before heading north.
winglider

Post by winglider »

I am also retiring this year, and plan to do the remaining Iron Butt Association UK, european ride to eats check out the link.
https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?fo ... to-eat.91/
Any one is welcome you do not have to be an Iron Butt member :)