Nav 5 charging

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Nav 5 charging

Post by jjwill »

My Nav 5 even with a flat battery would connect and start up on my 2014 RT.  However on my 2018 RT I have to charge the 5 before it will connect on the bike.  Any thoughts as dealer tells me the 5 must have juice in before it will activate on the bike.
Thanks
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Nav 5 charging

Post by Casbar »

I used to have a V on my 2014, if it had a completely flat battery it wouldn't start up immediately, sometimes it could take 20mins. So I made sure the battery was never flat. You probably know this, but if you just take the Nav out of the cradle and push off on the screen, the Nav isn't actually off, its in standby and will run the battery down. The only way to switch it off complete is to take it out of the cradle, cancel the shut down, then push the power button and then push off on the screen. Its the same with my Nav VI. So if you leave it in the cradle on the bike, its not off either.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

My VI goes off on the bike and starts straight away days later.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: My VI goes off on the bike and starts straight away days later.

That maybe so, but its not off, its in standby. So if you are only not using it for days your ok, but if you left if for weeks, the battery would run down. I'm not making this stuff up, phone Garmin and they will confirm, if the unit is left in standby for a long period the battery will flatten. If you use it frequently you will never know.
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

Casbar wrote: You probably know this, but if you just take the Nav out of the cradle and push off on the screen, the Nav isn't actually off, its in standby and will run the battery down. The only way to switch it off complete is to take it out of the cradle, cancel the shut down, then push the power button and then push off on the screen. Its the same with my Nav VI. So if you leave it in the cradle on the bike, its not off either.
THIS ^^^^^

If I know the bike's going to be sitting for a while, I'll take the Nav out of the cradle and manually power off as specified above and then put it back in the cradle.  This has cured the Nav's dead battery issue when starting the bike again.
Tiedend
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Tiedend »

I’ve had similar issues with my Nav VI with a blank screen if the battery is flat.

My dealer did not mention when asked that it was normal for this to happen.

Being a literal sort of chap I quoted the BMW Nav VI owners manual which says:-

‘Turning On the Device
NOTE: The device turns on automatically if it is in the optional motorcycle or automotive mount and external power is connected and turned on.
Press the power key.’

Which rather suggested to me that if external power was present it was supposed to turn on but I don’t know what ‘Press the power key’ means as in the bike cradle you can’t reach it.

Knowing that if the battery is flat it won’t start up makes me turn off the power fully. Also regular use keeps the battery at a level that will in most situations mean I don’t have a problem

Something you have to live with I guess.
Graham
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Wales

Post by jjwill »

Thanks everyone for your help