Nav 5 or Nav 6?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Nav 5 or Nav 6?

Post by MattyP »

Hi all.  I'm wanting to purchase a BMW sat nav for my 2017 RT1200.  Is it worth paying considerably extra for the Nav 6 or is the Nav 5 decent? Matt
STeinar

Re: Nav 5 or Nav 6?

Post by STeinar »

I changed from 5 to 6. The screen are so much brighter in the sunlight.  But  not so many other things are better
Not regretting anyway  - Happy with the 6 over the 5
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Same as Steiner, I changed from a V to a VI, screen is much better and it has more memory, so you don't need an sd card for the maps. I am happy with the purchase.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I've still got my Nav V.  As the guys above say the screen on the new one is better but the V is still fine for me.  Yes you need an SD card but they are cheap and easy to buy. 
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I have to say that compared to a Tom Tom caravan unit I had the Garmin BMW is a poor contender. The garmin screen seems slow when zooming and at times has a mind of its own.
There needs to be a phone connection to get traffic updates but the Tom Tom if I am correct, had an inbuilt sim that recieved live updates and highlighted them on the screen as red and yellow tracks on the road. For the money it is poor.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: I have to say that compared to a Tom Tom caravan unit I had the Garmin BMW is a poor contender. The garmin screen seems slow when zooming and at times has a mind of its own.
There needs to be a phone connection to get traffic updates but the Tom Tom if I am correct, had an inbuilt sim that recieved live updates and highlighted them on the screen as red and yellow tracks on the road. For the money it is poor.

Each to their own, I have never had any problems with the BMW Nav or any Garmin product and I like them a lot more than the Tom Tom offering. I had a Nav V for 4 odd years and it did the job, buying the VI was just an impulse buy, but again it works fine.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

The Tom Tom would put a line down the rhs of screen showing delays and how long.

My Tiguan and bike are both Garmin. Wonder why?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: The Tom Tom would put a line down the rhs of screen showing delays and how long.

My Tiguan and bike are both Garmin. Wonder why?

And my Honda and bike. Tom Tom bit harder to mount and won't fit in the hole on the dash, although some have done a mod :)
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

STeinar wrote: I changed from 5 to 6. The screen are so much brighter in the sunlight.  But  not so many other things are better
Not regretting anyway  - Happy with the 6 over the 5
+1 Peter
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by jjwill »

I'm very happy with my Nav V.  I also fitted a Glarestomper sunshade.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I was quite happy with my Nav V, it was an impulse buy to get the VI and I managed to sell my V on this site. But the screen is miles better and I don't need a sun screen :)
dengieken

Post by dengieken »

Another difference between the Nav 5 & 6 is that the 6 receives both the US GPS satellites & the Russian GLONASS satellites. When I had my Nav 5 I found that in some mountainous areas it couldnt lock on. The Nav 5 receives only US GPS.The screen is also much better on the Nav 6, as reported by others.

Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rambler358 »

Going from the Nav 5 to the Nav 6 was a worthwhile upgrade for me.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Plenty of comparisons between V & VI on Youtube.
After watching them, I'm convinced the VI is better, but I'm not convinced that it is worth upgrading when, even if I manage to get a decent price for my V, which is only 2 years old, the cost to change is going to be at least £400.

But, of course, if it's your money you can do what you want with it.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: Plenty of comparisons between V & VI on Youtube.
After watching them, I'm convinced the VI is better, but I'm not convinced that it is worth upgrading when, even if I manage to get a decent price for my V, which is only 2 years old, the cost to change is going to be at least £400.

But, of course, if it's your money you can do what you want with it.

My new Nav VI was £570, I got around £280 for my 3 year old model :)