Metzler Roadtech 1

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
heathy65

Metzler Roadtech 1

Post by heathy65 »

Had a pair of Metzler Roadtech 1's fitted this morning on the recommendation of Mark Zamek at Litchfield Tyres. Wow, what a difference to the Avons that came off. Even in the really wet conditions I rode home in the grip is fantastic, role into corners totally predictable and slow riding stable.  Cheers Mark, excellent service as always.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Metzler Roadtech 1

Post by Casbar »

heathy65 wrote: Had a pair of Metzler Roadtech 1's fitted this morning on the recommendation of Mark Zamek at Litchfield Tyres. Wow, what a difference to the Avons that came off. Even in the really wet conditions I rode home in the grip is fantastic, role into corners totally predictable and slow riding stable.  Cheers Mark, excellent service as always.

Grip is fantastic! You don't need to take it easy for 200 miles then. I know Conti Road Attack 3s apparently use a different system to get them out the mould so are good from the off, are Metzler the same?
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

Just had a pair of Roadtec 01's fitted a couple of weeks ago, they did feel a bit twitchy for the first 50 miles but came to life very quickly after that
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Metzeler Run-in , https://www.metzeler.com/en-uk/tech-saf ... aintenance

"For optimum performance, new tyres should be ridden on cautiously for the first 100-200 km. During this run-in period sudden acceleration, heavy braking, and hard cornering must be avoided."

Continental Breaking-in (Running Tyres In), https://www.continental-tires.com/motor ... l-handbook

"New tires have a smooth surface after the production process, which gets abraded only through the moderate breaking-in of the tires. Sudden braking and acceleration, and hard cornering should be avoided until the breaking-in process has been completed. Only after the surface of the tire is sufficiently abraded is the tire able to build up its maximum grip level."
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
oddshapedballs

Post by oddshapedballs »

2nd set of Roadtec 01's here, amazing tyres, brilliant mileage, better wet grip than the PR4's I had previously and that doesn't seem to lessen as the tyre wears, in my experience riding on a half worn PR4 in the wet is a scary place to be.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

I'm on my second set of Roadtec 01 tires. New set installed by dealer when I bought my RT used. Replaced 1st set with about 12,500 miles on them, could have probably gone another 2-3,000 miles but wanted to get it done before getting into the 2020 season. Excellent grip dry and wet, never experienced a traction problem from new until replaced. A bit of feathering of the tread as they wore but I have always seen that on previous Metzlers and Michelins.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I have the same. Can't criticise them apart from maybe extra tyre noise, but I just don't gel with them. RP5 GTs for me next.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Really like the Roadtech 01’s . Unparalleled grip and handling in all conditions.
To be fair the only quibble is they get a little noisy when well worn and leant well over. Wouldn’t buy anything thing else though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RTeousJohn

Post by RTeousJohn »

Another fan of Roadtec 01 here. 

Used them on KTM 1190 [on which the OEM Conti Trail Attack tyres had already hugely impressed me] and found grip levels raised, and twitchiness over ridges and white lines.  Massively encouraging -I'd say near-perfect - response to adding power through bends, wet or dry, and excellent life (8,000 miles of having Fun).

So when I switched to a 1250RT the OEM Metzeler Interact Z8 felt OK, sort of familiar, although they rode stiffer than the 01's they did well on a Hopp Rider Training day at Cadwell Park (luggage removed of course), despite blurring of tread block edges they held on very well...
Had Z8's changed early at 6,000 miles, as I was off on to Scotland for a week..replaced by BMW dealer with 01-SE new model, which rides much softer - if anything perhaps too flexible? 

Experience of the 01-SE

Inside first 1,000 miles I was keenly aware of 'white-lining' behaviour and stepping between tread bands on Front tyre which has been helped by adding 3psi over recommended. Front tyre is much noisier than the 01 was - on a couple of progressive rides this week in really dirty conditions, the tyre noise was obvious despite heavy rain and some exhaust noise. 
As for the rear its doing pretty well as I near 4,000 miles

Looking at Metzeler data book (see [size=78%]https://d1ykpo4jhzi0cx.cloudfront.net/download/en-uk/1531130569667/metzeler_tdb_2020_lr_v2.pdf[/size] ), the newer version is quite different, and Metz now recommend for the 1250 either
  01 (original series) in 'Heavy Weight Machine' 'HWM' variant i.e. stiffer sidewalls'  or
  01-SE series which has a different construction, and in which there is no HWM equivalent. 

Here's the rub...from my recent experience, when I need new tyres in February I am likely to request 01 (original) HWM.
R1250RT Red-Slate
RTeousJohn

Post by RTeousJohn »

UPDATE

Have dumped the R-01SE series as the RT with electronic suspension rides poorly with that rather flexible tyre...it felt like the suspension was 'getting it all wrong' until I changed to a HWM construction tyre.   

Went with Bridgestone T31 GT (= HWM) and it was a huge relief to notice the way the bike suspended on them, and the neutral feel they give.   
Like these enough that April 2022 I'm about to put on 3rd set...
R1250RT Red-Slate
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

I've used the 01 on a few bikes. On the RT is the first time ive noticed the road noise. Think it's mainly the front tyre with the noise being transmitted through the fairing. This is one thing i can put up with. Comparing the tread depth with the Michelin 5/6, the RoadTec looks half the depth but the 5/6 wears down quicker. On my 2010 Tiger, i wore out the rear within 6 thousand miles. I have to admit i did ride that bike fast and got to lean at some tight angles which a Tiger shouldn't. On some corners, i was running on the edge of the tread. Even in the wet, i was cornering like i was on an RD500LC. I just couldn't get them to let go. Since going back to the RT my riding is more cruising and enjoying the scenery than being a 120mph fly swat.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

Now on my 4th set of Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires last week.  First set - 12,375 miles; 2nd set - 11,387 miles; 3rd set - 11,842 miles. Probably could have gone another 1500-3000 miles on any of these sets but I don't like to push it too far and I usually end up installing a new set early spring before riding season really ramps up and don't want to be worrying about maintenance and downtime.  So far great grip in dry and wet conditions. In last 2000 miles or so the treadwear does start to get a bit feathered and are a bit noisier at highway speeds. Been tempted by the Michelins but slightly higher price and why change something when it has worked well and provided good tire life.
Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

My RT had Metzelers on it when I purchased it second hand. The rear tyre is a 6 year old Roadtec 01 heavy duty tyre.
I have been quoted AU$400 (fitted) to replace it next week after it has done its last 1500km trip. It sticks brilliantly in the wet and hasn't caused any significant posterior puckering events to-date. I have no desire to change tyres even though I have had good service from Michelin tyres in the past.
In the following image the Roadtec heavy duty symbol can be seen:
20221031_190617.jpg
20221031_190617.jpg (374.57 KiB) Viewed 695 times
2011 R1200RT Highly Modified
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 878 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

My roadtec 01 that i have fitted are the standard ones, not heavy duty or the new SE model. Seeing there were not any "heavy duty" tyres when my bike was made(2007). I do a lot of research on products before i buy, especially tyres and brakes. After talking to many companies, garages, and people who use the tyres the conclusion came down to my 07 Rt is under the borderline regarding H/D tyres. If i had a K1200 upwards then a H/D is needed without questions. With my tyres ive felt no flex or handling problem. I inflate my tyres at 36F 42R for normal one-up riding. They are still noisy at 6000 miles but no grip has been lost. In Dartmore i did have a couple of times the rear twiched a bit but the was down to loose gravel and the normal grip was reganed within a nano second. In all, they are wearing better than when i had them on the Tiger and this time i should get nearer to the 9k mark before buying another pair
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My 2007 Hexhead came new with factory fit Metzeler Z6's. The rear had a version code (C), not a standard tyre. For one-up (solo) riding they were inflated as recommended to 32F and 36R.

I've used none version code (HWM) tyres both one-up and two-up with luggage. The tyre pressures were adjusted to 36F and 42R for the latter. I've never suffered any ill effects or reduced mileage with none version code tyres.