R1250 GSA v R1250RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
gogs01

R1250 GSA v R1250RT

Post by gogs01 »

I've just read an article in Motorcycle Sport & Leisure from the launch of the R1250 GS Adventure and the R1250RT in Spain.

Needless to say, they are both rated very highly and the shift-cam engine is well liked in both applications.  Given that the new engine is the major change in both cases and the previous versions of both were considered best in class, it was hardly surprising that the general tone of the article was as positive as expected.

What did surprise me was what I perceived as some sort of bias in favour of the GSA.  That started with the comment that the GSA was too tall to mount conventionally and this had to be overcome by stepping on to the left footrest prior to throwing the right leg over.  OK, but when mounting the RT, the comment was that the tester (Mike Booth) repeatedly kicked the pannier as he threw his right leg over (why not step on the left footrest first if you're too short or stiff to avoid scuffing the pannier ?).

More seriously, the balance of the RT at a standstill was criticised - "the bike's 279kg really made itself known, especially when a degree or two of lean was introduced".  Really ?  compared to a GSA ??

More seriously, the RT was marked down in the handling department in comparison with the GSA which was said to handle all kinds of surface at all kinds of speeds whereas the RT wasn't felt to be so great.
"The twister (sic) roads were less kind to the RT" .... "the front brake felt a little less impressive" ..... "it was mega stable ..... until you asked it to do it at speed, at which point the bike would just drift wide in an ever increasing arc until it ran out of tarmac"

I've never ridden a GS Adventure and it's many years since I rode a GS, but I remember it handling (and doing everything else) very well and just being a bit tall.  The latest GS Adventure is heavier, has a 30 litre tank and longer suspension so I thought it might be a bit of a handful to mount and control at a standstill, but it's probably great on the move.

I still haven't ridden the R1250RT but, given that most of the changes from my 2017 model are in the engine, I'm surprised at the negative comments particularly in comparison to the GSA.

So, who has ridden the R1250RT ?  Does it compare unfavourably with the R1200RT, or a GSA ?

I'm definitely going to have a test ride on a R1250RT (since I was planning on it being my next bike in a year or two), but do I also need to try the GSA ??

My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
bandytales

Re: R1250 GSA v R1250RT

Post by bandytales »

gogs01 wrote:
So, who has ridden the R1250RT ?  Does it compare unfavourably with the R1200RT, or a GSA ?

I'm definitely going to have a test ride on a R1250RT (since I was planning on it being my next bike in a year or two),but do I also need to try the GSA ??

I have.
I have also ridden the R1200GSA.
Both bikes are excellent.
However, like all things they need to be set-up correctly.
The R1200RT and the R1250RT felt identical to me. And I think that playing around with tyres and pressures on this bike DOES make a huge difference to feedback.

I do understand the frustration of kicking the panniers. I know I do on my bike (when I am wearing my waterproofs).

I have a 2017 RT which I really like, but I still rate my 1150RT as a better suspended bike than the Wethead RT. The Wethead RT's suspension is nowhere near as supple as the 1150RT and I wonder if that is an element which tips a few riders towards the GS, because that too feels more supple. Sure they both track sweetly, but the Wethead RT can be taken off course by bad road surfaces such as ripples, tar-lines, steps in the road surface and cracks. The 1150 just took them in it's stride, and I believe the Wethead GS is more along that line too.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Well, I test rode the same 1250 Bandytales did last Friday. I was coming off a 2014. I was impressed, both with the engine and I thought it handled better than my bike, but my bike had over 5k on the front tyre, and the 1250 had 800 miles, so tyres might have been the culprit. I also read the review in MSL, I am 5ft 8 and never kick the panniers when I get on and off, the tester said he was 5ft 10, perhaps he isn't as supple as me :)

I have ridden over 18k miles on my 2014 bike and have never felt it wanting in handling, but then again unlike the reviewer I probably don't try and ride it like a sports bike. Swift and smooth wins the day. Anyway I went back to the dealer on Saturday and ordered a 1250, it will do for me. Will it do anything my 1200 didn't no, but hey you only live once. I had a 1200 GS as a loaner for a couple of days, it handled brilliantly and I liked it, but I like the RT more, I don't go off road. I did once own a R80GS, wouldn't mind one of those again.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

If you're going to spend a lot of money, why not ride all 3 LC boxers? Then you will know whether journalists "speak with forked tongue".

John Bentall
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

I moved from a 2014 RT to a GSA. I have just ridden the 1250 RT and GSA back to back and have ordered another GSA. I am 6’2” and a hefty old lump. The GSA is the most comfortable bike I have ridden in over 45 years. With aftermarket bar risers, lowered footrests, screen and seats it just about perfect for me and a very fine all-rounder. The GSA is probably a little easier to fine tune than the RT. Of course the RT out performs the GSA if you have long motorway days. But only by a small factor. On alpine and minor roads I much prefer the GSA.
As always it is a matter of personal preference
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

i read the article again last night, I don't know where the journo got his prices from, but the bike he was riding is certainly not £17,300, base price of the LE with Red is £16,700, then he will have had the sports pack, keyless, not sure if he had Dynamic pack, but audio is £1200, so the price for the bike he had would be more towards the higher end of 18k.

I personally am a bit short for a standard GS, I rode the LC low one and liked it, but after two days my back was killing me and I still had trouble swinging my leg over the pillion seat and I'm 5ft 8. Everybody buys bikes for different reasons and not every bike suits every rider. If I had any intention of going off road or doing tracks rather than just going to tesco, then I probably would buy a GS low, maybe next time :)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Having had my current RT for 3 years, bought it used with a 1000 miles on the clock. I'm sure I will like the 1250, as its basically the same bike, but if I don't, I'll get a different bike, so its not the end of the world :) Mine is supposed to be ready week 15, which is the last week of March, so hopefully Brexit won't screw things up, although it should already be in the country by then  8)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Here is a different perspective
Attachments
R1250 RTpdf.pdf
(524 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Enjoy the new RT Casbar!  Looks forward to hearing what you think.  Probably my next bike too.  Does central locking cover the sat nav yet?
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I guess my main irritation with the MSL article was what I perceived as an unfair bias towards the GSA.

1.  If you can find a way to mount the GSA, why not use that technique to avoid scuffing the panniers on the RT (and why no panniers on the GSA ?)
2.  I really struggle to believe that the RT is more of a handful at a standstill than a GSA.
3.  Not only have I never had any handling issues with the RT, I have read several reports from the launch of the R1250RT and since, none of which identified any problems with it.
4.  As has been pointed out, the price of the GSA on test would have been over £18k (and might have been over £19 with panniers).

I don't doubt for a moment that the GSA is a brilliant bike but for my personal use the RT is always going to be a better fit. 
If I fell out of love with the RT or BMW, I would consider another Yamaha FJR1300A, a bike which I consider to be almost as good as the RT. 
Otherwise, I might look for something lighter and more manageable for me in my declining years - Ninja H2 Carbon maybe ?  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: Enjoy the new RT Casbar!  Looks forward to hearing what you think.  Probably my next bike too.  Does central locking cover the sat nav yet?

lol - no. Its basically the same bike as the 2018 except for the engine. They have changed the display slightly, it has auto hill start if you want it and the suspension changes dynamically to the road conditions. But think that's about it  8)  So not buying because its a 1250, it was just time for a newer bike and thought I might as well go for the 1250 and join the beta testing team.
dengieken

Post by dengieken »

I’ve recently brought a new R1250RT. It follows a K100, two R1100RT’s & three R1200RT’s. I’ve never ridden a GS because I can’t reach the ground!
I decided, years ago, that I must be able to put both feet flat down when stopped. The RT, with low seat makes this possible.

My most recent 1200RT wethead had a clunky transmission & lacked torque at low revs. It handled superbly on Mitchelin Pilot Road 4 GT’s & was very economical.
My 1250RT has the best transmission of any BMW I’ve ever owned! The torque & tractability is also much better than the 1200.
Given that I thought the 1250RT & 1200RT are the same apart from the engine I was surprised that my 1250RT didn’t feel as sure footed as my 1200RT.
My 1250RT has Metzeler Z8’s from new & I now realise that the Z8’s have taken several hundred miles to soften up & give their best. They now feel much better. However when they wear out I will probably go back to PR4GT’s. Economy is not yet as good as the 1200 but that may improve.
Regarding the MSL article I think that, because of the adventure rider image of the GS it will always outscore a boring tourer. Motorcycling, like most things in life, is ruled by fashion. 
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

dengieken wrote:.... I now realise that the Z8’s have taken several hundred miles to soften up & give their best. They now feel much better. However when they wear out I will probably go back to PR4GT’s.

I'll take Z8's over PR4 every time.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

dengieken wrote: I’ve recently brought a new R1250RT. It follows a K100, two R1100RT’s & three R1200RT’s. I’ve never ridden a GS because I can’t reach the ground!
I decided, years ago, that I must be able to put both feet flat down when stopped. The RT, with low seat makes this possible.

My most recent 1200RT wethead had a clunky transmission & lacked torque at low revs. It handled superbly on Mitchelin Pilot Road 4 GT’s & was very economical.
My 1250RT has the best transmission of any BMW I’ve ever owned! The torque & tractability is also much better than the 1200.
Given that I thought the 1250RT & 1200RT are the same apart from the engine I was surprised that my 1250RT didn’t feel as sure footed as my 1200RT.
My 1250RT has Metzeler Z8’s from new & I now realise that the Z8’s have taken several hundred miles to soften up & give their best. They now feel much better. However when they wear out I will probably go back to PR4GT’s. Economy is not yet as good as the 1200 but that may improve.
Regarding the MSL article I think that, because of the adventure rider image of the GS it will always outscore a boring tourer. Motorcycling, like most things in life, is ruled by fashion.

Nice write up, the demo bike I rode had Metzlers and had done 800 miles, it handled really well. Although like you, I have always had PR4GTs, so come swapping time, who knows. There seem to be some great tyres around and plenty of choices. PR5GT may even be out :)
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

gogs01 wrote: I guess my main irritation with the MSL article was what I perceived as an unfair bias towards the GSA.

Journalists? Bias?

The best ever was a comparison some years ago in Bike magazine between the GTR1400 and the 1200RT.

The summary said that the R1200RT bettered the Kawasaki in every possible aspect as a touring machine. However he would put his own money on the GTR as the the key thing that mattered to him was the adrenaline rush of the big 4.

Luckily i do not live on the same planet as that journo.

John Bentall