Blueing

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
realshelby

Re: Blueing

Post by realshelby »

Steel wool will leave very small, almost microscopic particles of steel embedded in the surface. Guess what happens to steel when it gets wet! That rust can be harder to get off than the bluing or browning.

I use Happich Semi-chrome polish on both stainless and chrome. Leaves no scratches like some compounds or steel wool.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

I just let mine go blue.... :wonder: Is that wrong?
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

smileymiley wrote: I just let mine go blue.... :wonder: Is that wrong?

Well no where near as wrong as using steel wool!
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

I don't mind a bit of blueing - it matches my midnight blue metallic bike. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MEM62 wrote: I don't mind a bit of blueing - it matches my midnight blue metallic bike.

Got better things to do than polish exhausts :) But you'll be getting your headers replaced because the flap is stuck before long. I've had two sets in 3 years :)
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Casbar wrote: Got better things to do than polish exhausts :) But you'll be getting your headers replaced because the flap is stuck before long. I've had two sets in 3 years :)
Mine is still OK.  Had the bike from new in Jan 13 and no issues with the flap thus far. 
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Mines done 1700mls and before I put it back on the road after winter I got some grease that withstands 1500 degrees c so I’ll try some on the pivots when I remove the silencer.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MEM62 wrote: Mine is still OK.  Had the bike from new in Jan 13 and no issues with the flap thus far.

Thought the LC didn't come out until 2014! Well has I said, I have covered 18k and on my second new set of headers and now I've traded the bike, so someone will get a bike with new headers.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Casbar wrote: Thought the LC didn't come out until 2014! Well has I said, I have covered 18k and on my second new set of headers and now I've traded the bike, so someone will get a bike with new headers.
I have the TC - not the LC. 
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MEM62 wrote: I have the TC - not the LC.

Ok, its a different flap in the LC, stuck in the Headers, isn't the flap on a TC in a separate piece of pipe.
Iscadean

Post by Iscadean »

Totally agree. Do not use steel wool on chrome. Chrome is very soft and will scratch easily. The blueing is a normal part of the process as heat affects the chrome and steel underneath. I love the blueing anyway. Whoever said it was a bad thing and to therefore remove it told you wrong.
gary45

Post by gary45 »

The harder faster you push the bike the further down the pipes the blueing will travel. It's not a bad thing.