Central Locking

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
gogs01

Re: Central Locking

Post by gogs01 »

horand wrote: Iconic is now home.
Yes the top box has central locking. It even has a built in light!
Currently investigating the bluetooth functions. I have a Sena 20S headset, IPhone 5S and a Nav 5.
If I have issues I’ll be back for more advice.
Regards to All.
David
They all have the built-in courtesy light, and that light will completely flatten the battery if you leave the top box open to air for a week or two after a trip. DAMHIK !  :-X

A high level brake light can be fitted in the trim at the back of the lid - a pretty good safety feature I think.  :)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
horand

Post by horand »

Many Thanks
Yeah the brake light added to the box sounds worthwhile.
Is the wiring of a light complicated?
Regards
David

BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Ah, the very useful top box interior light.
Didn't know I had one, found it on a Monday morning, after leaving the bike on Friday afternoon.
Bike started fine, but now if I need to leave to box open, i close the catch which puts the light out.
:)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

horand wrote: Many Thanks
Yeah the brake light added to the box sounds worthwhile.
Is the wiring of a light complicated?
Regards
David

I had the brake light fitted by the dealer before I picked the bike up, so I don't know how complicated it is. 
Since there is no extra wiring external to the top box, I would guess that it should be plug and play (but you'd be safer asking the dealer how much the charge for fitting would be - that will give you an indication of the time involved.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

BeeJay wrote: Ah, the very useful top box interior light.
Didn't know I had one, found it on a Monday morning, after leaving the bike on Friday afternoon.
Bike started fine, but now if I need to leave to box open, i close the catch which puts the light out.
:)

I'll try to remember that for next time - Thanks !  ;D
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

The Top Box brake light was easy on mine. Two screws to remove blank, the wiring existed so just plug and play, two screws back to secure, job done.
horand

Post by horand »

For clarity are you saying the wiring to the brake light wiring of the bike exists in the top box?
So I could purchase the brake light and DIY?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

horand wrote: For clarity are you saying the wiring to the brake light wiring of the bike exists in the top box?
So I could purchase the brake light and DIY?

Mine was there. Take out the screws and see if the wire is there. Its only a few minutes to check.
horand

Post by horand »

Good Idea.
I’ll have a peep tomorrow.
Thanks
horand

Post by horand »

Yes you were 100% correct.
There is a plug to wire into.
I assume the brake light will come with the wire connected to it with the reverse plug?
I’ll send you a link to the brake light I’m planning to purchase for your opinion.
Having taken the panel for the brake light off the box for inspection I am struggling to work out how to remove the blank that the light will replace?
I don’t want to force it and do damage?
Any ideas?
Thanks
David
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

horand wrote: Yes you were 100% correct.
There is a plug to wire into.
I assume the brake light will come with the wire connected to it with the reverse plug?
I’ll send you a link to the brake light I’m planning to purchase for your opinion.
Having taken the panel for the brake light off the box for inspection I am struggling to work out how to remove the blank that the light will replace?
I don’t want to force it and do damage?
Any ideas?
Thanks
David

Theres a surround to remove. This picture is not very good but it shows the surround holding the light in the small image.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-topcase-led-brake-light-r1200rt-k52-k1600gt-k48-k1600gtl-k48.html?LGWCODE=109815;86700;4971&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9PPuhr_U4AIVBZztCh3WVgKKEAQYBSABEgKUXPD_BwE
horand

Post by horand »

Many Thanks
I’ll order this now.

I appreciate your help.
Kind Regards
David
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

horand wrote: Many Thanks
I’ll order this now.

I appreciate your help.
Kind Regards
David

No probs. I think youll find its straightforward when you come to do it. Let me know how you get on.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

I have the extra brake light on order and am intending to fit it myself but just had a disquieting thought - does it affect the Canbus and hence need dealer coding?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have the brake light with my top box. But I only travel with the top box when my wife comes along, which is only about twice a year. So I fitted some extra brake/running lights around my number plate. I bought Skene P3 lights from the States, they come with a module to wire into the bike, so no can bus issues and you can set them to flash or whatever you want. On my 1250 I now have a Denali Cansmart, so have removed the module that came with the lights and have them wired direct to the Cansmart and controlled from there.