thinking of buying a rt 1200

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Darseyno1

thinking of buying a rt 1200

Post by Darseyno1 »

Hi there, I am seriously thinking of buying a 2018 rt 1200 and wanted to find out from those of you who know the pros and cons of this machine. one of the things that cause me some concern is the reliability of the bike, the service costs, the ride and comfort of the bike and any other items that you would like to inform me off to help me make a decision.
Beagle

Re: thinking of buying a rt 1200

Post by Beagle »

Darseyno1 wrote: Hi there, I am seriously thinking of buying a 2018 rt 1200 and wanted to find out from those of you who know the pros and cons of this machine. one of the things that cause me some concern is the reliability of the bike, the service costs, the ride and comfort of the bike and any other items that you would like to inform me off to help me make a decision.

Had mine 12 mnths in May. Impressed by build quality and I used to help build military aircraft, ride, handling, power, all the options.

Had to replace seats and windscreen for comfort reasons. Satnav isn't the best as its Garmin but does the job.
Had a K1000RS and a K1100LT and this is by far a better bike.

Only done 1700 miles but glad I got it.

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Darseyno1 wrote: Hi there, I am seriously thinking of buying a 2018 rt 1200 and wanted to find out from those of you who know the pros and cons of this machine. one of the things that cause me some concern is the reliability of the bike, the service costs, the ride and comfort of the bike and any other items that you would like to inform me off to help me make a decision.

What other machines are you considering? For me the RT is in a class of one because it is lighter than the competition.
John Bentall
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I've covered 14k in just under 2yrs mostly with a pillion and loved every mile. The ride, comfort and reliability has been 1st class.

If you get a bike built after August 18 you should get 3 yrs warranty in stead of 2 yrs, this is when BMW changed the warranty given.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Hi, I've had mine for two years (12000miles) now and I'm very pleased with it. Been on several long trips, fully loaded and two up and it's really impressed me with its performance, reliability, and especially its light and accurate handling. Being tall I changed the screen for the Wunderlich touring version which is bigger than standard and with the bikes adjustable screen angle makes the ride smooth and quiet. The seat I find comfortable and the electronic suspension and engine modes enable you to adjust the bike to your own riding style and comfort levels. 
I've had no problems with it but I think it's important to keep it clean and looked after to avoid any corrosion problems. I've got no corrosion anywhere, but I don't ride it in winter.
Haven't been all that enamoured with some of the BMW dealerships I've dealt with and its worth shopping around if you can. If it's out of warranty then there are lots of independents that will be just as good if not better than the main dealers, and cheaper! Of course, you could do most,if not all, of the maintenance yourself. You will need a diagnostic tool called a GS-911 if you do (approx £350).
With the introduction of the new 1250RT there will be quite a few 1200's being part exchanged so there should be some good deals going. Best of luck and enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

There is very little to fault these machines. There have been a handful of problems that you should be made aware of. We know a few of the 2014 models have suffered alternator failure (VERY FEW).
The paint finish on parts of the engine / transmission / final drive has been less than perfect on a few folks bikes. On those bikes, we have seen some corrosion causing the paint finish to blister a little bit.

Pro's: Economical, Comfortable (see con's below though). Easy to maintain, lovely engine and gearbox on later models.
Con's: Windscreen generally considered to be less than ideal. Most of us have changed to the Werks Quiet Ride (very good screen), Aeroflow or Cee Bailey screens. The Rider's seat is considered by many to be very uncomfortable. I am one of them, but my seat has definately got much better with age and mileage.

I personally would suggest you think carefully and consider getting the 2019 R1250RT because I really think that it will be worth more at resale time. I also think it is a better bike. The suspension with it's auto height adjustment is great.  The engine is more powerful and I think you will find it more economical - if ridden in the same way as the 1200 Wethead.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I've done 23,000 miles in two years from new on my R1200RT LE

Mine has comfort and dynamic packs, so keyless ignition, central locking, electronic suspension adjustment, cruise control, tyre pressure monitoring etc etc etc.

I'm not so committed to BMW that I wouldn't buy another make if there was a model I considered to be better for my use.

I do two or three continental trips each year with or without pillion and I don't believe there's a better bike currently on the market.

If you're worried about service costs you probably don't want to look at this class of bike, but compared to anything in it's class it won't be much more expensive.  No reliability issues for me with my last three RTs over some 60.000 miles.

Comfort is a very subjective thing. I know people fit bar risers, big screens and aftermarket seats as a matter of course, but the only thing I have found necessary is the optional high seat (my inside leg measurement is somewhere between 31 & 32"), and I have found a seat cover by "Cool Covers" ( https://www.coolcovers.co.uk ) to be a help in hot weather.

Let us know what you decide (either way !  ;D )
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

In my experience water-cooled boxers are both more reliable and cheaper to live with than previous boxers, not to mention considerably faster and somewhat more comfortable: while far from optimal the saddle is not the torture device typically fit to older BMW's.

The problems I've had with mine are sidecase locks (both) and random shutdown at idle. All were solved under warranty quickly and efficiently. Now the battery is ailing after about two years but will "most likely" be replaced under warranty at next service in a week or so. Intriguingly enough I had the sidecase locks replaced on my previous bike as well (Hexhead RT).

My only gripe with the bike which, alas, cannot be solved is due to brake balance it literally goes through rear brake pads. I am presently trialing Braking pads as they seem to last somewhat longer than OE at a lower price but only time will tell.

To be honest I doubt there's a better bike out there. I road tested a K1600GT before buying this and while head and shoulders above the Goldwing (also road-tested, didn't like it one bit), it's just too heavy for my old and worn bones.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

How prolific is this exhaust butterfly valve issue ?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: How prolific is this exhaust butterfly valve issue ?

I've had two sets of headers in 18k miles due to the flap sticking. I have a mate who has had one new set on his 2015 bike. But there seems to be lots that don't have issues. As long as BMW replace I'm not that bothered and my new bike will have a 3 year warranty.
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

Beagle wrote: How prolific is this exhaust butterfly valve issue ?
BMW introduced a new exhaust valve assembly on bikes built in August/September 2016 which is also used as a replacement on older bikes. So far (knock on wood) no problems reported on these latter production valve assemblies.
It reminds me of what Honda did with exhaust flapper valves on SC44 Fireblades: when the bike came out the valve was maintenance free and good for the life of the bike. By the time the SC44 went out of production two bulletins had been released to inspect, clean and lube with graphite every 20,000 miles.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

ElPolloDiablo wrote: BMW introduced a new exhaust valve assembly on bikes built in August/September 2016 which is also used as a replacement on older bikes. So far (knock on wood) no problems reported on these latter production valve assemblies.
It reminds me of what Honda did with exhaust flapper valves on SC44 Fireblades: when the bike came out the valve was maintenance free and good for the life of the bike. By the time the SC44 went out of production two bulletins had been released to inspect, clean and lube with graphite every 20,000 miles.

Not sure about that, mine was replaced in Oct 2016 unless they put on old stock, and again in Oct 2018. Although my latest set does seem to have a bulge on the bottom where the flap sits, which I don't remember from my old set.
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

Casbar wrote:
Not sure about that, mine was replaced in Oct 2016 unless they put on old stock, and again in Oct 2018. Although my latest set does seem to have a bulge on the bottom where the flap sits, which I don't remember from my old set.
The one with the bulge at the bottom is the new one. I can post a picture of it later if it can help.
Not sure when BMW started shipping the part to dealerships for replacement works: if it can help the old (no bulge) chrome plated exhaust manifold was 18518562191 while the new (bulge) chrome plated exhaust manifold is 18518555262.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

ElPolloDiablo wrote: The one with the bulge at the bottom is the new one. I can post a picture of it later if it can help.
Not sure when BMW started shipping the part to dealerships for replacement works: if it can help the old (no bulge) chrome plated exhaust manifold was 18518562191 while the new (bulge) chrome plated exhaust manifold is 18518555262.

Hi ElPolloDiablo, As far as I can tell (unless we are talking about something different), they both have this bulge.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
Hi ElPolloDiablo, As far as I can tell (unless we are talking about something different),they both have this bulge.

My old manifold had a small bulge the new one I have now fitted has a real pronounced bulge like a large cap, defiantly different as I spotted the difference in October. If yours is a 2017 model, you probably have the later manifold. My first two almost just had a small indentation on the bottom, presumably where the bottom of the flap pin was.