Extra mirrors on 1250 RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Extra mirrors on 1250 RT

Post by daverj »

does anyone know if it’s possible to fit conventional bar mounted mirrors to a 2018 1250 RT fitted with the auxiliary light switch and SOS switch. Seen them on the bikes without these types of clamps but nothing as yet for bikes with these accessories fitted. Thanks
R1250RT LE
Jack_the_Lad
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: Extra mirrors on 1250 RT

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

Much as I despise people who reply to questions when they don't know the answer with no huge degree of certainty, I'm about to do it anyway as nobody else replied to you.
I have a 2018 1200 RT, and thought the mirrors were utter cr@p.  Hugely disappointing for a company that prides itself on good ergonomics - and we won't even mention the seat!

On my RT I used what BMW refers to as pipe clamps from a GSA - sorry don't know if they will work on the 2015.  Note that there exists more than one type depending on model.
Once the pipe clamps are added, you can add standard screw-in mirrors - I use the GSA mirrors, as I'm familiar with their slightly strange shape and can adjust them perfectly.
Hope this helps.

Alex

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]
Attachments
Capture.JPG
IMG_20190610_155114~2.jpg
Last edited by Jack_the_Lad on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a
daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Interesting idea. Will call in to the dealer to see if they do them for both sides. Thanks for replying
R1250RT LE
Jack_the_Lad
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

Yes, I have them on both sides.

Didn't show the fiche just to keep the screen shot to a legible size.

A very easy - if not inexpensive - fix.

Good luck!
daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Have you got the factory fitted auxiliary light switch on the left bar and the SOS switch on the right bar? If so was this a simple straightforward job or was there wiring to mess with.
R1250RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

daverj wrote: Have you got the factory fitted auxiliary light switch on the left bar and the SOS switch on the right bar? If so was this a simple straightforward job or was there wiring to mess with.

I think you'll find your switches are in the way. It looks like those mirror brackets fit to the same place the aux light and sos switch casing fits.
daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

That’s what I thought, but pictures a bit blurred. Might call into the dealers and ask them.
R1250RT LE
Jack_the_Lad
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

I don't know if they will fit your bike, but these have worked very well for me:

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1200-RT-LC/Accessories-Paint-protection/Blind-Angle-Mirror-Glasses-Chrome.html

Alex
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

I find a surprising number of motorcyclist complain about the mirrors on their bikes, only seeing their elbows  etc.  The solution is quite often to correctly position them.  You do not need to be able to read the index number of the vehicle 10 ft  behind you in both mirrors   The near side should be positioned to see the road behind you and to the near side  the off side mirror positioned to see a wider sweep to the off side and very little of the space immediately behind you.  Like this you will see cars and larger vehicle without difficulty  motorcycle may disappear into the blind spot  but generally they should not be too much of a worry. 
Jack_the_Lad
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

The major issue for me with the RT mirrors is how far away I have to look from the road to enjoy a really poor view behind me.
Switching to GS/GSA mirrors moves them a foot higher - and that's a LOT on a bike! - and my mirrors are now positioned where I have to move my eyes very little (i.e. its much quicker) to get a good look behind me. 

In my perfect world, I'd have mirrors which would be easilywithin my peripheral vision which would allow me to catch any previously missed movement of vehicles behind or to the side of me.
BobM

Post by BobM »

I know it`s a little old now but while scanning through Nippy Normans items, I came across the Wunderlich Elephant tank bag Tour Edition. One of the 8 pics accompanying the item showed an RT with the SOS button, and above the button was a mirror. It wasn`t clear whether the left bar had the extra lights button and a mirror. Cheers
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

JacktheLad,  Couldn't agree more.  For a touring bike, having to look DOWN and away totally takes your eye-line away from the road ahead.  Further, if you have a wide touring load, it blocks you mirrors' view behind.  On the first gen hexhead, there is an unused mirror hole on the switch assembly which, I'm told, will accommodate the GS mirrors.  I just inelegantly used some old stalk mirrors by mounting a metal sleeve above the hole, passing a long bolt through it an attaching to a perforated steel bar through which I mounted the standard-issue mirrors.  Looks shite but works a treat. 
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

daverj wrote: Have you got the factory fitted auxiliary light switch on the left bar and the SOS switch on the right bar? If so was this a simple straightforward job or was there wiring to mess with.

I have 2020 R1250RT with SOS right and aux LED light switch left and the "pipe clamps" I used on my 2015 & 2018 R1200RTs fit just perfectly. These clamps came from a R1200GS so they should still be available, hope this helps.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
BobM

Post by BobM »

TJRL
      Did you buy these clamps or did you take them off a GS.  Cheers.