Battery make & lifespan

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Battery make & lifespan

Post by David. »

What make of battery is, or has in the past been fitted to your bike & what is it's current or previous lifespan.

So far, I've only had experience of BMW(Exide) OEM GEL batteries. My first 2007 Hexhead RT was part ex'd after 3.5 years with the original battery still fitted. On a 2010 TC, the original battery lasted approx. 3.5 years. It failed unexpectedly when I was away from home overnight & had to have another BMW(Exide) battery fitted at a dealer. Had this replacement battery transferred to my current 2012 TC, it's now been in service for 5 years between both bikes. I'm suspecting I may have to replace it this year.

In summary, I've had three BMW(Exide) GEL batteries & they've lasted between 3.5 & 5 years. Based on this, perhaps I should buy the same again, an Exide GEL (not BMW badged),  although, I'm also considering a Yuasa battery.

Any comments and/or input would be welcome, thanks.
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Battery make & lifespan

Post by B787MECH »

I can't comment on the life of the battery in my 2016LC but have had no problems with it so far. I think it's important to keep the bike on a battery maintenance charger all the time it's not in use. I use the Optimate 4 as it can handle charging through the Canbus via the accessory socket.
I think modern good quality batteries can last much longer if kept properly charged, either by regular use or on a maintenance charger. The ones in our three cars have lasted between 7-10 years. Obviously some bikes have suffered from inherent defects that cause a battery to drain, often cured by software updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The OEM battery for an LC is also made by Exide for BMW.
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

On my old boxer the original battery was an Exide. It lasted exactly one year before being replaced under warranty with another Exide which lasted a massive 10 months before again needing replacement. This time I fit an Odyssey and the battery was still on the bike when I traded it in for my present one.
Present liquid cooled boxer... again an OE Exide and again troubles well before time:on Monday I should know if the warranty replacement has been approved, otherwise I'll just fit a Yuasa or a FIAMM.My brother's K1600GTL had another Exide battery which lasted all of a whooping three months before needing replacement. On his first GS the original Exide was replaced under warranty by a BMW-branded Yuasa which was still on the bike when it was traded in five years later.And the least I say about the Exide batteries in the company cars the better.
As a meter of comparison in 26+ years of riding and agri equipment I've had a single Yuasa battery fail under two years: it was the one the dealer had put in my Honda before I picked it up from them (used). Yuasa replaced it under warranty and the replacement is still on the bike almost six years later. FIAMM batteries used to be so-so until they were bought out by Hitachi: now their batteries are more expensive than they once was but also last far longer.
Last edited by guest5886 on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.