Low seat or lower suspension

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
zip50

Low seat or lower suspension

Post by zip50 »

[size=2px]Now that I have my new/used RT (2014) I want to set her up just right. I am somewhat vertically challenged at 67" with a 29 inseam. As such I am well short of flat foot (don't mind) but too close to tip-toes for comfort while commuting every day.  Would those of you who are similarly diminutive recommend the low seat or a lowered suspension? Pluses and minuses? [/size]
Qball-16

Re: Low seat or lower suspension

Post by Qball-16 »

I would try a low seat first, before spending considerably more on lowering the bike.  If the low seat works, great.  If not, start saving your pennies...

I put HyperPro lowering springs on my RT, which made the ride quite harsh.  They were just a temporary solution for my stubby legs, until I could squirrel away enough money to replace the stock suspension with lowered shocks.  Keep in mind, if you lower the bike, you'll likely end up having to shorten/replace the side and center stands - otherwise there won't be enough lean angle on the side stand, and it'll take a Herculean effort to get the bike onto the center stand...

If you do end up going with a lowered suspension, I can highly recommend Tractive Suspension's lowered shocks!  The guys at Tractive were the original designers of the ESA system for BMW.  After forming their own company, they have made significant improvements to that original design.  Plug-n-play compatibility with BMW systems.
Oldbrook

Post by Oldbrook »

I have a 29in inside leg and use a low seat with standard suspension. Works for me, Dave
2011 R1200RT Polar metalic
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

Qball-16 wrote: If you do end up going with a lowered suspension, I can highly recommend Tractive Suspension's lowered shocks!  The guys at Tractive were the original designers of the ESA system for BMW.  After forming their own company, they have made significant improvements to that original design.  Plug-n-play compatibility with BMW systems.
I found the OEM lowered seat terrible and eventually bought the Tractive system from Beemer Shop. It cost about $2,000 for the parts but I installed it. Install wasn't too bad. Note that you have to send the oem shock in for them to use some of the ESA components so your bike will be out of commission for a few days. I also had to cut and weld both the side stand and the center stand but it wasn't a big deal. It made a big deal because I could flat foot. The system works well. Maybe a bit better response than the oem. All ESA functions still work and the shock is rebuildable. I have not had trouble with lean angle restrictions and I ride at a brisk pace. I highly recommend it if you can afford it.
Steve
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

I'm 5'7" nowadays (shrunk a bit after I fractured my spine) and use a low seat and these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Wunderlich-Rider-seat-lowering-kit-black-Part-No-42721-002-/143149319201 which seems to work perfectly for me.Although I'll be getting a BMW Comfort Seat in the next week or two which is little lower anyway.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Zip,  I'm over 5'10" and also find the bike too tall.  Here's a previous post of mine with some jury-rigging, NO COST suggestions.  Good luck, since it seems Beemers were designed for ubermenschen!

[size=2px]I'm 5'11" but long-waisted, 32" inseam, and can't completely flat-foot it.  Backing up is the real trial;  I've tended to shift my butt on the seat to the appropriate side so that I have at least one foot flat and able to get a reliable purchase on the road.  Here are some other suggestions to lower the seat height.  If you, too, find the bike a bit tall and unsteady - can't quite flat-foot it - here are a couple of ideas.  Pls let me know if there are any downsides to them.I just totally removed the movable height adjuster grommets system under the driver's seat.  Lowers the seat about another inch.  Doesn't seem to contact the battery, etc. under the seat and the seat remains in place and secured.  Even at a long-waisted 5'11", I find that, especially when backing it up a slight incline or rough ground, it's an adventure.  Fix:  popping off the lower anchor of the front pegs' return spring (which tensions the front pegs forward) will allow you to fold them up during such maneuvers (manoeuvres if you're from the UK).  This prevents barked shins and bone bruises from the pegs, and allows a greater range of motion for your legs;  and, since you no longer have to adopt a wider stance to avoid the pegs, a smaller rider can point their legs straight down and take advantage of every bit of inch-seam.  This and the torturous upright position almost dissuaded me from buying the RT, but these fixes help with both problems.  Pass it around if you see someone struggling.[/size]
Oneillmartin

Post by Oneillmartin »

Removed the front lowering part under the seat and it seems to lift up after maybe it will be ok when sitting on it
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I don't think it can be stolen.  I tried to remove it and it stayed in place unless you unlocked the rear section.  Also, who'd think of stealing it, figuring all seats are locked nowadays.  Doesn't shift around while riding, either.
deepseeker

Post by deepseeker »

The BMW low seats are notoriously uncomfortable, FYI. I have an '09 RT with the low frame and low seat, and found the back of the seat is higher than the front, pushing you forward, and making for an uncomfortable seating position.
A place in Washington called Rich's Custom Seats modifys so many that they sell the OEM covers on eBay.
This week I finished a project where I cut about an inch from the high area at the back of the drivers area, sewed in a larger vinyl patch, and glued it down. Results to be seen when it warms up!
There are a half dozen vendors that sell low seats, and they really believe in Bring More Wallet, but some names come up often as really working well.
So, consider the alernatives before investing in the OEM low. Can't comment on the Comfort Low, but that looks interesting too.
Pic of mine attached.
Attachments
Low project seat.jpg
Utopia backrest, StreetRays setback / risers, Garmin 550 GPS.