LED headlamp (specific bulb question)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Beagle

Re: LED headlamp (specific bulb question)

Post by Beagle »

michaelc2710 wrote: I have the D4's and you can set the brightness for dipped beam two way's, either using the 'wonder wheel' on the handle bars or by plugging in your laptop going into the settings on your Hex zeCan or CanSmart[/size]I just use the wonder wheel as you can adjust as you ride along, full power is supplied on the main beam.  The improvement on normal dipped is great and on main beam it's fantastic.

Not tried mine on full beam maybe mine arnt 100% on dip, Will try it tomorrow. You got me thinking now.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

PhilMill wrote: I know the LED question has been raised many times, but I'm wondering if anybody has experience of this particular bulb, It seems like its built in a way so it may not dazzle like others do. I'm thinking about it on a 2018 RT.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Headlight-Conversion-BMW-BMW-R1200RT-R1200GS-F800ST-H7-F800GS-R1200GSA/382531397481?fits=UKM_Make%3ABMW&hash=item5910a5e769:g:ohsAAOSw6n5XurcA

I hope the link works.

Thanks.

I am not certain, but I think I tried that LED or one very similar. From a guy in the UK, just like this is.

I sent it back. There were CanBus issues, but they may have that fixed now. The problem I had with this one(?) and one other "fanless" type was overheating of the bulb. Look GREAT when you turn them on. Lots of light. In the daytime you won't notice any change, as the LED lights still look white when they drop voltage to the emitter. But don't try to ride at night! Within 20-30 minutes, and that may vary with ambient temperature, the light gets more dim. To the point it isn't putting out much in the way of lumens!

I have no problem with owners experimenting. I wouldn't have the business I am in now without that! But there is an aftermarket LED solution that many of us have proven over years and thousands of miles. The ones Bandytales mentioned are without fault that I can find.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Beagle wrote:
Not tried mine on full beam maybe mine arnt 100% on dip, Will try it tomorrow. You got me thinking now.

The led’s were on dim unbeknown to me and so today I tried them on 100% using the wheel.
I was impressed with them on dim but full beam is amazingly bright.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Beagle wrote: The led’s were on dim unbeknown to me and so today I tried them on 100% using the wheel.
I was impressed with them on dim but full beam is amazingly bright.

Any issues with dazzling oncoming drivers ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

gogs01 wrote:
Any issues with dazzling oncoming drivers ?

Not been out yet. Fairweather rider.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Beagle wrote: Not been out yet. Fair weather rider.

Me too - snow here this morning.

Please report back when you can say how good they are at lighting the way ahead and (hopefully not) how bad they are for dazzle.

I would be interested in a pair of lights which could match my current (single) dipped beam H7 bulb - without creating more dazzle of course.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

gogs01 wrote:
Me too - snow here this morning.

Please report back when you can say how good they are at lighting the way ahead and (hopefully not) how bad they are for dazzle.

I would be interested in a pair of lights which could match my current (single) dipped beam H7 bulb - without creating more dazzle of course.

They are very good at illuminating in front of the bike and that was on just 50%. You can alays turn them right down with the wheel if you feel they are too bright.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Beagle wrote:
They are very good at illuminating in front of the bike and that was on just 50%. You can alays turn them right down with the wheel if you feel they are too bright.

Hi Beagle.
If those lights are helping you see better when you have the dipped beam selected, I can assure you they WILL be dazzling oncoming vehicles. The beam pattern of those auxilliary lights is not a a 'cut off' so the spread that is helping you see the road and scenery better is also blasting into the eyes of other road users. It is NOT the solution.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

If the auxiliary lights are fitted correctly they are fine. I fitted the Denali  D4's on my engine bars and set the angle up using the garage door.

I agree if you just bolt them on with out setting them correctly you can blind pilots flying over head....
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

bandytales wrote:
Hi Beagle.
If those lights are helping you see better when you have the dipped beam selected, I can assure you they WILL be dazzling oncoming vehicles. The beam pattern of those auxilliary lights is not a a 'cut off' so the spread that is helping you see the road and scenery better is also blasting into the eyes of other road users. It is NOT the solution.

Adjusted correctly they are a great solution.