Hi and Thank you

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
OldKid

Hi and Thank you

Post by OldKid »

Hi all, I have just registered and wanted to say a hello & thank you to you all and in particular Steinar for creating and maintaining the site. I am soon to move from my faithful & much loved 2010 RT to the new 1250 and have been gleaning some very good information from this site.  The moved is with mixed emotions as my old AC machine has been great, not a hiccup and I am going to miss the tank rail, deep 'glove box' and I think slightly better build quality, despite the current bike suffering some corrosion I wouldn't have anticipated.  However I am really looking forward to the lighter feel, increased and smoother performance, a big jump on the 2010.

Noted Steinar's comments about rudeness on the site and the fact that there are more members leaving than joining, haven't seen so much of the rudeness (although some) but perhaps the reason for the number of members falling is we RT riders are becoming older!! :silence: The GS seems to be the 'youngsters' choice, with new RT purchasers mainly traditional RT riders, suits me as have never been a one for following the crowd and think the RT better for touring.

Anyway cheers all, expect you will be hearing more from me, mainly queries at first I suspect ;) ......
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: Hi and Thank you

Post by hammo »

Hi , Well if the new 1250cc is better than the 1200cc it will be interesting to read the new owners comments , i purchased the 1200 RTLE in 2018 and its been fantastic ,  ^-^ i believe one of the positive comments on the new model is you do not get the "clunk" when you engage first gear but i do not see that as worth changing the machine , any my freind i hope you enjoy the new bike immensely and have many safe miles riding it .
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

Welcome aboard.Enjoy your new RT.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Welcome to the forum.
Your views on RT v GS seem to match mine, I think the RT is absolutely spot on for touring.
I haven't tried the 1250RT yet but I had a 1250GS for a day.  Very nice, and some indication of what the drivetrain on the 1250RT may feel like.  Felt like an improvement, but not a very noticeable one over my 2017MY RT.
Maybe next year, unless I give up fighting with big heavy bikes and change to something much lighter !
Let us know how you get on with the new bike.  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Hi , Well if the new 1250cc is better than the 1200cc it will be interesting to read the new owners comments , i purchased the 1200 RTLE in 2018 and its been fantastic ,  i believe one of the positive comments on the new model is you do not get the "clunk" when you engage first gear but i do not see that as worth changing the machine , any my freind i hope you enjoy the new bike immensely and have many safe miles riding it .

Thanks Hammo......

I did test ride the LC 1200 (i'm moving from the AC 1200) & it was superb but decided it was too soon for me to change, can't make a fair comparison between that and the 1250 as only rode the LC 1200 once but of course there is a significant difference between the LC 1250 and the AC 1200.  All I'll say is I had the broadest of grins every minute I was on the 1250, expect I had the same for the LC 1200 mind:-).
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Welcome aboard.Enjoy your new RT.

Cheers Geordielad, will do I'm surebe
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Welcome to the forum.Your views on RT v GS seem to match mine, I think the RT is absolutely spot on for touring.I haven't tried the 1250RT yet but I had a 1250GS for a day.  Very nice, and some indication of what the drivetrain on the 1250RT may feel like.  Felt like an improvement, but not a very noticeable one over my 2017MY RT.Maybe next year, unless I give up fighting with big heavy bikes and change to something much lighter !Let us know how you get on with the new bike. 

Thanks Gogs01,

My gut feeling and it is not well based is: I suspect the difference not significant enough unless it is time to change but may be when the connectivity technology is improved. A suitably sized TFT screen Larger than the GS's must come along one day that should include integrated 'satnav' etc, current setup feels very much a halfway house and that BMW are saving more for later..... 

Know what you mean re heavy bikes.  i am not suggesting you have but I have to own up to more than one drop of my AC 1200 and the panniers bear the marks (will implement the very well advised bumper protectors for the new bike):  One in soft ground, bike fell over without any 'assistance' from me, another when I & my fishing rod holdall (rode to France with it bunjee strapped to me!) got tangled with the bike at a fuel station and twice when U turning on narrow slightly sloping ground, the second of which was gravelly.  i'm almost ashamed to say the latest was quite recent :alas: , a builder (building project the cause of the gravel) kindly came and helped me lift the bike before I had an opportunity to do so myself so not sure how I'd have faired probably 5 years after my last but suspect it would have been harder, particularly as i was fully loaded.

I will certainly feed back on the 1250 but sadly I don't think it will mean so much to all you 1200LC riders.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

OldKid wrote:
My gut feeling and it is not well based is: I suspect the difference not significant enough unless it is time to change but may be when the connectivity technology is improved. A suitably sized TFT screen Larger than the GS's must come along one day that should include integrated 'satnav' etc, current setup feels very much a halfway house and that BMW are saving more for later..... 

Know what you mean re heavy bikes.  i am not suggesting you have but I have to own up to more than one drop of my AC 1200 and the panniers bear the marks (will implement the very well advised bumper protectors for the new bike):  One in soft ground, bike fell over without any 'assistance' from me, another when I & my fishing rod holdall (rode to France with it bunjee strapped to me!) got tangled with the bike at a fuel station and twice when U turning on narrow slightly sloping ground, the second of which was gravelly.  i'm almost ashamed to say the latest was quite recent :alas: , a builder (building project the cause of the gravel) kindly came and helped me lift the bike before I had an opportunity to do so myself so not sure how I'd have faired probably 5 years after my last but suspect it would have been harder, particularly as i was fully loaded.

I will certainly feed back on the 1250 but sadly I don't think it will mean so much to all you 1200LC riders.

I think (and hope) you're right about the TFT screen appearing on the RT - that might just be enough to swing it for me.  I had a 2010 RT and loved it, then a 2013, basically the same bike but in 90th anniversary colours. Brilliant bike.

On dropping bikes, I've done it too so don't think you're unique !  At 71 I'm not getting any stronger, and that's the only reason I wonder if it's wise to keep going down the RT road when there are much lighter alternatives available.  Not so fast, comfortable or able to carry pillion/luggage, but lighter.  ;D

OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Yes understood your meaning and certainly understand the thinking of lighter bikes, none of us are getting any younger, I'm 62 myself & hoping I might just have another RT in me beyond the 1250, hope you do manage another.  I wouldn't hold your breath for the suggested upgrades, as someone said to me the 1600's haven't had much in the way of upgrades so they will likely be first if it is to happen.
[size=78%]Thanks for your comment re dropping the bike, very kind of you.  Yeh I think most have done it at some time or other.  I actually forgot another occasion[/size] :alas: [size=78%], this time as I was joining a BikeSafe class!! I thought the side stand was down and it wasn't[/size] :( .[size=78%]  Lucky for me I wasn't embarrassed by everyone seeing it but I owned up when we were all introducing ourselves, it was a good ice breaker [/size][size=9px]and everyone was giving up their seat and letting me go first for the coffees afterwards[/size] :) ??? [size=78%].[/size]
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

True, you are not alone in dropping RT's and I have considered getting something lighter, but what?
When it comes to costs, BMW are very good at adding zero's to the price of bikes, spares and accessories  :beee: so what I am looking for in my next bike from them is that they retain the power and touring capability (luggage, proper integrated satnav etc) of a 1250, but lose one of the zero's ......................
With the weight of a 125.
One can dream eh?

gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

geordielad wrote: .....so what I am looking for in my next bike from them is that they retain the power and touring capability (luggage, proper integrated satnav etc) of a 1250, but lose one of the zero's ......................
One can dream eh?

Yes !!  Sounds perfect !  But unlikely !!!  ;D
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

geordielad wrote: True, you are not alone in dropping RT's and I have considered getting something lighter, but what?
When it comes to costs, BMW are very good at adding zero's to the price of bikes, spares and accessories  :beee: so what I am looking for in my next bike from them is that they retain the power and touring capability (luggage, proper integrated satnav etc) of a 1250, but lose one of the zero's ......................
One can dream eh?

Yeh, even if BMW listened to their customers reckon that is for dreams only or maybe one is waiting for us beyond the pearly gates but lets not 'speed' there eh :alas: .  Love the BMW engineering / bikes (particularly the RT of course) and the dealerships and service but BMW certainly have room for improvement in other areas :shirty: .......