Another Satnav Lock Option?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
OldKid

Another Satnav Lock Option?

Post by OldKid »

Hi All, took a look and couldn't find this option which looks very good and pretty straightforward, no drilling etc:

http://thetroshinbeemer.uk/offsite/SatN ... review.php

The site is nothing to do with me by the way & I am going to continue with my old Nav IV with 1250 when I pick it up as hoping to avoid the expense of another Garmin by using the phone for Nav, some good phone apps out there now and improving all the time.

Probably won't bother with the lock myself (unless i ultimately get the Nav VI) as anyone who knows how to nick the sat nav from RT will probably not want the Nav IV :kacsint2: .....
Sprintgull

Re: Another Satnav Lock Option?

Post by Sprintgull »

Yes it is a glaring omission on such a great bike to let several hundred quids-worth of sat nav free to the light fingered, while various fluids are inserted or removed to/from me and the bike.  As it says, it is not an overnight solution (the determined will butcher a way past it) but for brief stops it is great.  To be honest I've already dropped my Nav 5 a few times so that is more of a risk.

The Oldtimers guys have posted here in the past, but the link you have provided is a really clear explanation.

Thanks for posting!
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Sprintgull wrote: Yes it is a glaring omission on such a great bike to let several hundred quids-worth of sat nav free to the light fingered, while various fluids are inserted or removed to/from me and the bike.  As it says, it is not an overnight solution (the determined will butcher a way past it) but for brief stops it is great.  To be honest I've already dropped my Nav 5 a few times so that is more of a risk.

The Oldtimers guys have posted here in the past, but the link you have provided is a really clear explanation.

Thanks for posting!

No prob's, suspect I will be bugging you guys with lots of queries soon and luckily very recently saw the link on youtube while searching for 1250RT stuff, so nice to offer something without doing any work!be........
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Looks a really neat solution. But having lived with removing the Nav when stopped for 4 years, I'm not sure its worth over £100 to me for a solution, got other farkles that need my hard earned for the 1250 first
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Yeh, understand that & your 'solution' will continue to be the same for me, at least as long as I stick with the Nav IV and that may well be as long as it or indeed I last :pee: ( The BMW / Garmin Navs are so well made my IV could easily outlast me as long as they continue to be supported) as I want to move ahead with iPhone / iPad and a suitable app. Think I have found the right app now (called 'scenic' - only currently suitable for iOS devices though) this for another post down the road though I reckon.  What I did find out was wireless iPads do not have integrated GPS :nif:  but this for another post too......
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Well, I took the plunge... and bought the Oldtimers sat nav lock for the R1200/1250RTLC. 

Got to say they are really nice guys to deal with, and the kit arrived within three days (in UK).  It was a piece of cake to fit and works a treat. 

OK, some will now jump in and say 'how much?!!!' but having used it a couple of times it just makes a good day ride out easier.  Before I was taking the Nav5 off at every stop (some don't I know), now it stays there all day while I stop and wander off to pay for fuel, buy coffee, go for a stroll, bag another RBR landmark, etc.....  These guys saw a problem and had the initiative to come up with a really neat fix so I don't begrudge them the cash.

Recommended, but it should have been there from day 1 - thanks again BMW.
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Yes, it is such a neat solution, think I would have done it if I wasn't hanging on to the Nav IV & then anticipating moving over to an app and phone / iPad.

Absolutely agree with you re "thanks again BMW", fantastic machines but BMW let themselves down in certain areas, I will post a review on the 1250 when I have a few more miles on the clock, there are a few more "thanks again BMW" :shirty: [size=78%].......[/size]
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Just ordered this thanks for the detailed install.
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

No prob’s, Hope it suits.....
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Wunderlich have brought out a central locking based version as well now
https://www.nippynormans.com/r1250rt-2018-on/wunderlich-gps-security-for-the-rt-with-central-locking

If I didn't already have the key based Wunderlich one I would buy this
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

It looks like the original version of the Oldtimers system.  Beware that if you have Sirius radio you will have a problem with your antenna with the Wunderlich system pictured.
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

PeteM wrote: Wunderlich have brought out a central locking based version as well now
https://www.nippynormans.com/r1250rt-2018-on/wunderlich-gps-security-for-the-rt-with-central-locking

If I didn't already have the key based Wunderlich one I would buy this

This is the one I ordered.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote:
This is the one I ordered.

Let us know how you get on, the instructions show it being connected to the right hand side actuator cable, is that cable still there if you don't have a lockable bin on that side, or do you use the left hand side one?
Marcosalopo

Post by Marcosalopo »

Thought this seemed a good solution to whet should have been sorted by BMW.
Then had another thought! Has any o e had their Sat Nav stolen?

Also the cost of protection, if this was a house worth 600,00 the cost of perhaps preventing theft would be 145,000 , not a good proposition?

So think I will stick with simple precautions and remove sat nav when bike unattended.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Was looking at the OldTimers Lock solution. So i emailed them and asked what they thought to the Wunderlich solution. They replied, they are a manufacturer of equipment for motorcycles and car manufactures and supply to major suppliers, with several smileys. So I would say, Wunderlich are actually supplying their produced product re badged for £149, as opposed to 130 euros or 140 euros through PayPal direct to OldTiners :)

I have never had my sat nav stolen, but I never leave it in the cradle unattended, so I guess this gives you piece of mind. Don't think I would rely on it for overnight, but a quick coffee or fuel up would be fine.

A mate of mine bought an actuator and built his own, linked to the central locking, but I'm not that smart :)
Last edited by Casbar on Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.