Tool Storage on R1250RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
PeteM

Tool Storage on R1250RT

Post by PeteM »

Hi Guys

Picked up my new R1250RT, looking for how to carry things like my puncture repair kit and a few other bits I used to carry under the seat or in the glove box of my air cooled RT and there does not appear to be any where for it to go. I don't always ride with the topbox and panniers so don't want to have to put them in there. Anyone come up with an innovative solution to the problem? I think the R1200RT LC has the same issue.

Thanks

Pete
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Tool Storage on R1250RT

Post by Casbar »

BMW Rescue
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

What about one of them boxes that go behind the reg plate?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

Hi Pete,

there is a bit of usable space in the seat tail. Also, if you don't have the audio option, there is a large usable space behind each 'dummy' speaker grille in the dashboard. I have a box of bulbs and some tools in one side and my Airman compressor in the other side, both wrapped in heavy-gauge ziplock bags and fastened to the fairing spars with shock cords. The Torx driver from the standard toolkit (clipped to the underside of the riders seat) can be used to remove the bolts that hold the speaker covers on.
Last edited by RTs4me on Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Hi Pete
The panniers on my RT never come off other than cleaning,  top box only on when SHMBO is with me. My Slime compressor & puncture repair kit fit in the pannier indentations .You've always got somewhere to put your helmet & gloves when stopped. I've never found a problem when riding including filtering,  if the front gets thru the panniers will.Think the bike looks better with them on anyway.  :)
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

simbo wrote: What about one of them boxes that go behind the reg plate?
I haven't seen one in a a decade or so but they have always intrigued me. If you have a link I'd be very grateful.  :)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

ElPolloDiablo wrote: I haven't seen one in a a decade or so but they have always intrigued me. If you have a link I'd be very grateful.  :)

This type.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-N ... e-Solution
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

smileymiley wrote: Hi Pete
The panniers on my RT never come off other than cleaning,  top box only on when SHMBO is with me. My Slime compressor & puncture repair kit fit in the pannier indentations .You've always got somewhere to put your helmet & gloves when stopped. I've never found a problem when riding including filtering,  if the front gets thru the panniers will.Think the bike looks better with them on anyway.

I'm a pannier and top box kind of guy. The repair kit, compressor and waterproofs travel in the top box.

If I didn't want to travel with all the boxes I'd take the top box off last because that would involve removing both seats, unplugging the power lead and unlocking the box from under the interior mat. Not exactly a hard job, but not something I can be bothered to do on a regular basis.
To travel without panniers or top box I would look for something like Givi's XS5112R, a soft luggage bag.  :)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Check below rear seat
I’ve managed to stuff a couple spare spark plugs, thin wall socket for plugs and tool for removing coils and front wheel
Jim
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

T6pilot wrote: Check below rear seat
I’ve managed to stuff a couple spare spark plugs, thin wall socket for plugs and tool for removing coils and front wheel

I get when I used to ride bikes in the early 70s carrying various bits and bobs, But with modern bikes, what is the benefit of carrying plugs, front wheel removal tool etc. I have covered over 40,000 miles on RTs and never had to change the plugs at the road side. The only issue I have had was a puncture, which I couldn't repair because it was a double one, so rang BMW Rescue.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

PeteM wrote: Hi Guys

Picked up my new R1250RT, looking for how to carry things like my puncture repair kit and a few other bits I used to carry under the seat or in the glove box of my air cooled RT and there does not appear to be any where for it to go. I don't always ride with the topbox and panniers so don't want to have to put them in there. Anyone come up with an innovative solution to the problem? I think the R1200RT LC has the same issue.
Thanks Pete
Been there and found the solution that really works well for me.

Remove the radio loudspeakers (if fitted) and put them in a cupboard for when you sell the bike.
Now, you have 2 massive storage areas.
This is what I keep in mine:
Full tool roll.
First aid kit.
Compressor.
Bike washing bowl,
sponge,
and washing liquid.
There is probably more, but I can't remember right now.

Last edited by bandytales on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

With Casbar on this one.  I carry a puncture kit, a very compact socket/torx set and my AA card.  If the panniers are not fitted then it's just what I can stuff into my pockets.  The only time I've been stuck by the road were for a puncture on the K1300GT (recovered double quick to Coopers Sunderland) and broken wire off the back of the ignition on the K1200GT (recovered by the AA to CW).  RT has been 100% reliable so far in 14000 miles (what a daft thing to say).
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

Exactly like the one I remember then.
Thanks.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Casbar wrote:
I get when I used to ride bikes in the early 70s carrying various bits and bobs, But with modern bikes, what is the benefit of carrying plugs, front wheel removal tool etc. I have covered over 40,000 miles on RTs and never had to change the plugs at the road side. The only issue I have had was a puncture, which I couldn't repair because it was a double one, so rang BMW Rescue.
Caspar

Your probably right on the spark plugs, I’ll agree i’am a little anal about what I carry, that little tool for removing front wheels and coil could really come in handy one day!!  I’ve also managed to squeeze in a mini snap-on ratcheting screw driver with various torx bits, in all honesty only thing I’ve ever used is my cycle-gear tire pump and it lives in top case

Jim
Jim
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

T6pilot wrote: Caspar

Your probably right on the spark plugs, I’ll agree i’am a little anal about what I carry, that little tool for removing front wheels and coil could really come in handy one day!!  I’ve also managed to squeeze in a mini snap-on ratcheting screw driver with various torx bits, in all honesty only thing I’ve ever used is my cycle-gear tire pump and it lives in top case

Jim

Good on you :) I only carry a puncture repair kit and my breakdown recovery number. Might be different in other parts of the world, but in Europe that works pretty well