Tool Storage on R1250RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
PeteM

Re: Tool Storage on R1250RT

Post by PeteM »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Main things I want to carry are a puncture repair kit, disk lock and visor cleaning kit. If I can squeeze the puncture kit under the rear seat then the visor kit can go in the glove box and I can leave the disk lock at home when I don't have the panniers on. If not then will investigate how easy it is to remove the speakers.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

PeteM wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys.

Main things I want to carry are a puncture repair kit, disk lock and visor cleaning kit. If I can squeeze the puncture kit under the rear seat then the visor kit can go in the glove box and I can leave the disk lock at home when I don't have the panniers on. If not then will investigate how easy it is to remove the speakers.

I fit my disc lock in the right hand glove box. 

I'd be interested to know if you can the puncture stuff into the back of the bike. Mine won't!
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

bandytales wrote:
I fit my disc lock in the right hand glove box. 

I'd be interested to know if you can the puncture stuff into the back of the bike. Mine won't!

No the puncture repair does not fit in the back. Only a tiny space there. At the moment it is in the topbox in a small bag with the disklock

I've only got the left glove box as I don't have the audio kit (why do they not fit two without the audio?). It is mainly full of visor cleaning kit but I can probably slim that down by getting a smaller microfibre towel.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

PeteM wrote:
No the puncture repair does not fit in the back. Only a tiny space there. At the moment it is in the topbox in a small bag with the disklock

I've only got the left glove box as I don't have the audio kit (why do they not fit two without the audio?). It is mainly full of visor cleaning kit but I can probably slim that down by getting a smaller microfibre towel.

you can buy the bits to convert the right hand side with a locking box, have seen some do it. Pretty expensive though :)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Here you go - explains what you need to do and the bits your need

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ubby-Holes
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

£160 at two year old prices before adding the lock and central locking mechanism  :o

Think I will pass on that one
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

PeteM wrote: £160 at two year old prices before adding the lock and central locking mechanism  :o

Think I will pass on that one

You diid ask :)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote:
Good on you :) I only carry a puncture repair kit and my breakdown recovery number. Might be different in other parts of the world, but in Europe that works pretty well

I have a full tool roll. I use it regularly too. For example when I ride in to get my tyres changed, I use a fair few of the tools out of that roll.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
I have a full tool roll. I use it regularly too. For example when I ride in to get my tyres changed, I use a fair few of the tools out of that roll.

When I ride in to get my tyres changed, I hand my keys over and go get a coffee. What do you actually use your tools for, when on the road then? In 18k miles on my current bike, I have never used any tools whilst out and about.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote:
When I ride in to get my tyres changed, I hand my keys over and go get a coffee. What do you actually use your tools for, when on the road then? In 18k miles on my current bike, I have never used any tools whilst out and about.

Ah, well I don't trust my bike with tyre fitters (no disrespect meant), but I use the time that the wheel is out to clean and inspect stuff and apply anti-corrosion products. So the calipers get a good clean and so too does the exhaust system.
Likewise when I have been out in the back of beyond (OK, Scotland), my tools have proved invaluable. Have you tried getting a breakdown truck when you can't get a phone signal!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
Ah, well I don't trust my bike with tyre fitters (no disrespect meant),but I use the time that the wheel is out to clean and inspect stuff and apply anti-corrosion products. So the calipers get a good clean and so too does the exhaust system.
Likewise when I have been out in the back of beyond (OK, Scotland),my tools have proved invaluable. Have you tried getting a breakdown truck when you can't get a phone signal!

Nope, but the chances of me having the correct tools to fix something would be minimal. So out of interest, what did you fix by the side of the road in Scotland on your LC then? I'm not talking about punctures as I do carry puncture repair bits :)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote:
Nope, but the chances of me having the correct tools to fix something would be minimal. So out of interest, what did you fix by the side of the road in Scotland on your LC then? I'm not talking about punctures as I do carry puncture repair bits :)

My need for tools was a puncture to the extent that I had to take a wheel off.
From my perspective, I am glad you are happy with the toothbrush, credit card and phone approach. For me, not so much.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
My need for tools was a puncture to the extent that I had to take a wheel off.
From my perspective, I am glad you are happy with the toothbrush, credit card and phone approach. For me, not so much.

No, not at all, I was just curious as to what could actually be done at the side of the road and what tools to carry. I wouldn't be taking the wheel off at the side of the road. If I got the wheel off I would still have to take it somewhere, so would need transport, then if I could get transport, I could then get the use of a phone and ring Mr BMW rescue - job done. I do carry puncture repair kit, but that is it.