Mounting phone using GPS location

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Andy K

Mounting phone using GPS location

Post by Andy K »

Hi All,

I’ve got a 2014 r1200rt with the blanking plate over the GPS slot.  Im guessing to buy the gps OE will require me to take out a second mortgage and as my iPhone 10 can adequately sort me with directions, my feeling is mounting the phone is probably a better option - given I’ve just spent $900 (aus) on a Givi 56l monokey top box....

The 2014 has no real handle bar real estate, and I can’t help thinking that the location specifically put there for the gps would be the most sensible option in location for the phone ( in a landscape orientation ).

Has anyone worked out a way to either replace the blanking plate with some clever mount that holds a phone ?  Or maybe putting steel there somehow behind the blank and using magnets - or something else?  Any good problem solving engineers out there?

Can’t seem to find anything that has used that area - so maybe it’s impossible - or is there a bracket that the oe option uses that can be used?

Any ideas appreciated....

Andy

Beagle

Re: Mounting phone using GPS location

Post by Beagle »

Andy K wrote: Hi All,

I’ve got a 2014 r1200rt with the blanking plate over the GPS slot.  Im guessing to buy the gps OE will require me to take out a second mortgage and as my iPhone 10 can adequately sort me with directions, my feeling is mounting the phone is probably a better option - given I’ve just spent $900 (aus) on a Givi 56l monokey top box....

The 2014 has no real handle bar real estate, and I can’t help thinking that the location specifically put there for the gps would be the most sensible option in location for the phone ( in a landscape orientation ).

Has anyone worked out a way to either replace the blanking plate with some clever mount that holds a phone ?  Or maybe putting steel there somehow behind the blank and using magnets - or something else?  Any good problem solving engineers out there?

Can’t seem to find anything that has used that area - so maybe it’s impossible - or is there a bracket that the oe option uses that can be used?

Andy

Can you not fix a phone mount to the face of the blanking plate.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

What about looking for a second hand Nav V on eBay.  Seen them go for about  £300/350 over here. A more integrated, robust and waterproof solution. What what its worth you can use the twirly wheel on the handle bars to operate it as well.

Mike
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Andy K wrote: Hi All,

Andy

https://www.nippynormans.com/phone-mounts-and-cases?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=How%20to%20navigate%20with%20your%20phone&utm_content=How%20to%20navigate%20with%20your%20phone+CID_f16ffc16c4286636672e8eefde194e65&utm_source=SelectMailer&utm_term=here

Andy K

Post by Andy K »

MikeS wrote: What about looking for a second hand Nav V on eBay.  Seen them go for about  £300/350 over here. A more integrated, robust and waterproof solution. What what its worth you can use the twirly wheel on the handle bars to operate it as well.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately there isnt many on second hand out here in oz.. and I agree - having the thumb wheel connected for control  is a nice to have...  I’m guessing a uk one would need a different card (assuming you can access the card) - so it might be worth looking at.

The ram option is also ther, using one of the star screw extensions on the fluid res - but I just figured putting the phone under the shield where there was a perfect place for it would make sense...

Will see if I can cope till Christmas and the start dropping hints,,,problem is there’s a lot of shit needed now I’ve got this bike, inner bags, Bluetooth set, sat nav, new gear, better helmet, etc etc....

Andy
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

you can put memory card in navs yourself and believe  purchase whatever maps you want to download. Worth looking into.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Bit late for the OP, but if anyone is considering the same:

[size=5px]https://images.app.goo.gl/2i3hShwFWtyzfXvm6[/size]
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Wunderlinq allows to control of the iphone from the Wonderwheel.
John Bentall