Retired or about to retire?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
guest2383

Re: Retired or about to retire?

Post by guest2383 »

I retire TODAY! :clap: :clap: :clap: Now the fun really begins!
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Bought mine 20 months ago with an eye on retirement, which happend 10 months ago for me.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Looks like the 'RT' is the 'Pensioners' choice, a bit like a two wheeled Honda Jazz 😉
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I'm retired, not an OAP....
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"A pensioner is a person who collects a pension, most commonly because of retirement from the workforce."

"This is a term typically used in the United Kingdom (along with OAP),  Ireland and Australia where someone of pensionable age may also be referred to as an 'old age pensioner'."
Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

I was an 'ole man' as a youngster but perhaps I didn't mature further, as now a big kid @ 62  :alas:

Had an R100RT @ 25 after a Honda CD 175 & Triumph bonneville 750.  Sold the RT @ 32 due to marriage and the 'Skirted General' worrying too much, understandably as she had lost family on them.  Then suffered 4 wheels for 21 years but we only live once & 'Skirted General' had mellowed slightly so bought the 2010RT @ 53 & now the 1250 @ 62.

Generally speaking the RT is an older mans bike for sure, I wouldn't be surprised if I was the youngest owner in the country of the R100RT and possibly one of my cars the Rover 75, certainly can't remember seeing a younger Rover 75 driver than myself and I sold it when I was 55!

I'm very close to virtual retirement now (handing over a small company but will keep a finger in the pie) and looking forward to putting plenty of miles on the 1250, the engine & handling of which is wow, wow, wow and I'm still running in! be.

Not so sure about the build quality though, my 2010 was much better and even that corroded unexpectedly in places.

Anyway thought I would chip in........
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

I turn 60 in November and 41 years as a bricklayer. 5 more years and I’ll throw in the towel. I bought my first and only rt in ‘14 with very low miles and very well taken care of. I can definitely say I’ll buy a new one in a year or two.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Went around the U.S. last summer (not shy, but retired), and noted that nearly all the bikers with their touring load showing also showed gray hair sticking out of their helmets.  I used to think serious mileage touring was a young man's game.  Apparently not.  The Gray Panthers rule the roads!
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 219 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I retired about 12 years ago aged 58 and immediately moved to France with a Honda Blackbird, which was fun but not really a touring bike. On my return to the UK in 2009 I part-ex'd the BB for an ST1300 shortly after meeting my (now) wife 'cos it's no fun for a Blackbird pillion!

Now the Pan's got a bit heavy and the RT seems the next logical (and lighter) choice, final test ride tomorrow to make sure Wifey's comfortable and change over on 1st August... then the big hunt continues for a Sargent seat!  BTW, I thought I read somewhere that they are a plug and play with the BM's heated seat socket, but I can't find that written anywhere now... anybody answer the question for me please?
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Steve398 wrote: I retired about 12 years ago aged 58 and immediately moved to France with a Honda Blackbird, which was fun but not really a touring bike. On my return to the UK in 2009 I part-ex'd the BB for an ST1300 shortly after meeting my (now) wife 'cos it's no fun for a Blackbird pillion!

Now the Pan's got a bit heavy and the RT seems the next logical (and lighter) choice, final test ride tomorrow to make sure Wifey's comfortable and change over on 1st August... then the big hunt continues for a Sargent seat!  BTW, I thought I read somewhere that they are a plug and play with the BM's heated seat socket, but I can't find that written anywhere now... anybody answer the question for me please?
I've got heated Sargent seats for my 17MY R1200RT, both just plug in to the BMW seat socket & work great. Just have to put the passenger switch on from the OEM seat.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.