Price gougers!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Price gougers!

Post by jackronner »

For the second time on my 2005 RT, the upper windshield swing arm that attaches the screen to the body snapped off right at the windshield attachment.  It's made of what looks like cheap pot metal, but I've been reliably told it's just a bad grade of aluminum.  Bad enough that BMW can't pony up enough to give us a reliable steel part to prevent a windshield from tearing off and slamming into the rider at high speeds, but they wanted  almost $90 US for a 3" piece of metal.  Tried having a welder re-attach the broken end, but the metal was too poor to allow it.  Wound up drilling a hole near the broken end, and passing thin galvanized wire thru the hole and around the peg on the windshield side a couple of times, and it works a treat if this happens to you out on a tour, so carry a bit of bailing wire (I always do).

Changed my oil for the first time, and found you need a special tool to remove the filter, since there's no clearance for a normal tool, and no nut on the bottom (as my replacement filter had).  They want you to take it in to the dealer - but I had a hammer and a chisel.  I can understand BMW wants to keep their dealerships healthy by engineering the bikes so that we are more likely not to do-it-ourselves, but when they price a tiny piece of shoddy metal so spectacularly high it begins to wear on me, since it just appears to be a case of pure corporate greed, and I'm tired of being milked. 
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Price gougers!

Post by T6pilot »

Careful with the filters with nut on bottom (K&N) the quality isn’t there. Correct filter tool can be had from Beemer boneyard quite reasonably in price as can filters in bulk
They may also have your windshield bracket
Keep ridding

Jim
Jim
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Precious few of the boneyards left in the S.F. Bay Area.  And few beemer parts of any vintage or model.  I guess it speaks well of the brand that most of them are still on the road, apart from the rare wreck (apparently Beemer riders are safer, further adding to the scarcity of used parts!)
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

jackronner wrote: For the second time on my 2005 RT, the upper windshield swing arm that attaches the screen to the body snapped off right at the windshield attachment. It's made of what looks like cheap pot metal, but I've been reliably told it's just a bad grade of aluminum. Bad enough that BMW can't pony up enough to give us a reliable steel part to prevent a windshield from tearing off and slamming into the rider at high speeds, but they wanted almost $90 US for a 3" piece of metal. Tried having a welder re-attach the broken end, but the metal was too poor to allow it. Wound up drilling a hole near the broken end, and passing thin galvanized wire thru the hole and around the peg on the windshield side a couple of times, and it works a treat if this happens to you out on a tour, so carry a bit of bailing wire (I always do).
Changed my oil for the first time, and found you need a special tool to remove the filter, since there's no clearance for a normal tool, and no nut on the bottom (as my replacement filter had). They want you to take it in to the dealer - but I had a hammer and a chisel. I can understand BMW wants to keep their dealerships healthy by engineering the bikes so that we are more likely not to do-it-ourselves, but when they price a tiny piece of shoddy metal so spectacularly high it begins to wear on me, since it just appears to be a case of pure corporate greed, and I'm tired of being milked.
Welcome to the wonderful world of BMW
Last edited by guest2383 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

My oil filter tool came from AliExpress - £5/6 delivered, hardly broke the bank! Regarding filters, I only ever use BMW-branded ones (made by Knecht-Mahle), Mahle or Mann - never, ever HiFlo, K&N or others. I start shopping around for a replacement as soon as I've done the annual service, and always manage to find reasonably-priced, OE or OE-quality parts. The screen arm though....yours broke twice?! We had work bikes that racked up 70k+ miles and never had one break, so I wonder why you were so unlucky!

Pete
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Did you have standard screen on yours?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

milleplod wrote:Regarding filters, I only ever use BMW-branded ones (made by Knecht-Mahle),  Mahle or Mann - never, ever HiFlo, K&N or others.
I use Hiflo oil filters on my 2010 TC, the BMW dealers are happy to fit them.
Plus, I have it in writing from the BMW Warranty Claims Manager that, "He has advised that using a Hiflo oil filter will not affect your warranty in any way, and this part is of equivalent quality to an OEM filter".

The Hiflo oil filter costs me £4.50 from a trade only supplier.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

David. wrote: I use Hiflo oil filters on my 2010 TC, the BMW dealers are happy to fit them.
Plus, I have it in writing from the BMW Warranty Claims Manager that, "He has advised that using a Hiflo oil filter will not affect your warranty in any way, and this part is of equivalent quality to an OEM filter".

The Hiflo oil filter costs me £4.50 from a trade only supplier.
My decision not to use Hiflo (owned by K&N, or t'other way round!) was based on a video I saw ages ago where various filters were taken apart and examined - Hiflo scored very low. Of course, they might have upped their game now, but I stick to what I've used for many years. This video at around 17m 30s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZicO-ZmPGcw shows one being dissected, although it's not the one I originally watched, I can't find that one on YouTube.

Pete

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

jackronner wrote: For the second time on my 2005 RT, the upper windshield swing arm that attaches the screen to the body snapped off right at the windshield attachment.  It's made of what looks like cheap pot metal, but I've been reliably told it's just a bad grade of aluminum.    Wound up drilling a hole near the broken end, and passing thin galvanized wire thru the hole and around the peg on the windshield side a couple of times, and it works a treat if this happens to you out on a tour, so carry a bit of bailing wire (I always do).

Not keen on your shade tree 'repair' as a long term 'solution'.

Ave you seen these?
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/r12rtshldarms.html
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

milleplod wrote:Hiflo scored very low. Of course, they might have upped their game now.
Some further information about oil filters within this thread, viewtopic.php?t=1
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:For the second time on my 2005 RT, the upper windshield swing arm that attaches the screen to the body snapped off right at the windshield attachment.
From this diagram, which part no. failed.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

David. wrote: From this diagram, which part no. failed.

Has to be “5”
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Which is why the likes of Beemer Boneyard have upgraded item 5's for sale!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Beemerboneyard swinging arm #5 are aluminium, https://www.beemerboneyard.com/r12rtshldarms.html

These are available in stainless steel, https://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/apps/we ... ow/3658072

Have the latter fitted to my 2010 TC after installing a Ztecknik screen.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Both replacements are way better than the OEM part.
I like the BeemerBoneyard item, as it is lighter. However, they are both similar prices. And very reasonable prices too.