05 RT gear changing problems

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Oscar the rabbit

05 RT gear changing problems

Post by Oscar the rabbit »

Hi everyone hope someone can help me I've a 05 rt1200 and changing down years is a big problem seems fine until engine warms up wont downshift when warm in any gear linkage is geased up
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: 05 RT gear changing problems

Post by milleplod »

Hi Oscar, and welcome to the Forum.

If you're sure the linkages are adjusted properly, and lubricated, you might find that a gearbox oil change would be of benefit. I've heard of gearchanges improving greatly after new oil's been put in, especially if it's not been done for ages - synthetic GL5 75W90 is the stuff you need, and it's a simple diy job. Does it feel as if something's jammed once it warms up? Does the clutch lever feel any different when the bike's warm?

Just a thought.....have you had the bike for long? - ie you've noticed the change deteriorate over time, in which case, see above! If you're new-ish to the brand though, downchanges are definitely better the quicker they're done....no pussyfooting around, a lightning-quick clutch and foot action is the way!

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar the rabbit

Just got it a month ago will do gearbox oil change see if that helps thanks for your advise  . .yes seems completely stuck when I try to change down
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

It's worth changing the oil first, just because it's so easy to do. I'd do the rear drive unit too while you're at it - a litre of 75w90 is enough to do both. Have a look here for 'how to' guides - http://www.jvbproductions.com/Tech_Pictorials.html
Have you actually had a good look at the linkages, or simply squirted some lube on them? A lot of crap can build up on them over the years, and the only way to properly sort them is a strip and clean.

If the oil change makes no difference, then I'd definitely be looking at the clutch operation. Try pumping the lever a few times next time you get the problem - if it frees up the change, I'd suspect a clutch cylinder problem, perhaps air getting in. 

Pete
Oscar the rabbit

Will do  all the things you advised had quick look at linkage and its all greased up by previous owner so im thinking problem been there  a while but I'm worried it a bigger problem  fingers crossed it's not have had 2 1150 RT and a 1100 RT in past
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

The grease could be hiding seizing balljoints, esp if the previous owner simply applied it because of the same problem you're having, without stripping and cleaning first. Can't beat a few jobs to get you bonding with the bike!  :) Whereabouts are you?
Pete 
Oscar the rabbit

Tralee co Kerry ireland
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

A fair way from me then!  :)

Pete
Oscar the rabbit

Sadly yes lol
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Here's a pic of the relevant bits. On my 1200ST, I stripped the lot and replaced the 2 bushes, item 8, before reassembly. The balljoints, at either end of the rod (item 2) are where all the crud collects and solidifies over time.
Pete

[attachimg=1]
Attachments
Firefox_Screenshot_2019-04-11T21-05-02.933Z.png
Oscar the rabbit

Thanks for that do you think that if yr idea don't work I could add gear oil cleaner before I change gearbox oil
Oscar the rabbit

Thanks for taking the time to show me the diagram
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Oscar the rabbit wrote: Thanks for that do you think that if yr idea don't work I could add gear oil cleaner before I change gearbox oil
Do you mean some sort of gearbox additive? If so, I personally wouldn't, only because I've never heard of anyone doing it before, and I like other people to have tried things before I run the risk of possibly damaging something! I have heard of fresh oil making a difference though. Try to get the oil hot before draining (don't be tempted to put the bike on the centre-stand and run through the box like that - it puts the joints at each end of the driveshaft at their maximum angles, it's not recommended at all!), when it comes out, you'll know straight away how long it's likely to have been in there for.....black and 'orrible speaks volumes! I change mine every year, it doesn't really need it, but after 4-5k miles it's as clean as the day it went in.

Pete
Oscar the rabbit

Hi so the guy I bought bike from kindly took it to a mechanic and fixed the problem. which was the gear linkage as I was advised on this great site so I'm a happy biker again thanks for all the help
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

That's good news indeed - thanks for the update.  :)
I'd still be doing an oil change on the gearbox and rear drive though!

Pete