Nav V and Samsung

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
gogs01

Nav V and Samsung

Post by gogs01 »

My Samsung phone is paired with my Nav V and, although it accepts incoming calls, I can't hear the caller and the caller can't hear me. I am able to hear the satnav directions, and the phone calls have worked in the past.
Does anyone have an idea of what the issue might be ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Re: Nav V and Samsung

Post by slparry »

I have a Nokia 5, also on Android like your Samsung. It all worked perfectly with the Nav V  and RT and also with my car too (BMW X3)

However, recently the OS of the phone was upgraded to Android 9 (Pie) from Oreo. Android Pie appears to have broken the Bluetooth stack and my phone does exactly the same as yours. Mine also doesn't have an audible ring or dial tone. I've done some research online and it appears lots are having the same issue

I guess we'll have to wait until Google provide an update
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Makes a change, its normally Apple that messes things up with their iPhone upgrades. I've had a world of pain in the past :)
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

slparry wrote: I have a Nokia 5, also on Android like your Samsung. It all worked perfectly with the Nav V  and RT and also with my car too (BMW X3)

However, recently the OS of the phone was upgraded to Android 9 (Pie) from Oreo. Android Pie appears to have broken the Bluetooth stack and my phone does exactly the same as yours. Mine also doesn't have an audible ring or dial tone. I've done some research online and it appears lots are having the same issue

I guess we'll have to wait until Google provide an update
Samsung S8+ here, also just had the upgrade to Pie, no problems whatsoever. Working the same as it always has.
Very strange.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I had the same issue with my setup. Samsung S9, Nav6 & scala rider freecom 4 duo. Sometimes it wouldn't connect the phone to the nav or if it did I wouldn't have sound or phone book on the Nav.
I paired the phone to the headset first then paired both the headset and phone to the Nav6 separately.
Never had a problem since even with the Mrs headset paired.

Hope that helps

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

michaelc2710 wrote: I had the same issue with my setup. Samsung S9, Nav6 & scala rider freecom 4 duo. Sometimes it wouldn't connect the phone to the nav or if it did I wouldn't have sound or phone book on the Nav.
I paired the phone to the headset first then paired both the headset and phone to the Nav6 separately.
Never had a problem since even with the Mrs headset paired.

Hope that helps

So do you have your phone paired to the Scala and the Nav? I only have my phone paired to the Scala as I only have incoming calls occasionally and not interested in using the phone book on the Nav VI. Although this way I am not getting the Garmin App for traffic onto my Nav. But as I ride different bikes with different Nav, thought having the phone direct was the best option
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Yes I have paired phone to both, I need call history, phone book contacts etc
I cover some weekends as technical support for engineers, so need to be contactable,  it saves stopping if I need to call back if we get cut off.

The setup works really well (now)

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

michaelc2710 wrote: Yes I have paired phone to both, I need call history, phone book contacts etc
I cover some weekends as technical support for engineers, so need to be contactable,  it saves stopping if I need to call back if we get cut off.

The setup works really well (now)

When I asked Cardo if I could pair to both, they said don't :) So when you get a call how does it prioritise I wonder :) But good to know it works, that now gives me the option to get the traffic info as well with the Cardo App. I assume you run the app as well, if so, does it impact the phone battery like?
michaelc2710
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

No I don't bother with the Cardo app.
When I take a call it cut's of from the Mrs (if she's on the back) cut's the radio or music off and put's the route instructions (if I'm following one) on a lower volume.
Once I finish the call everything comes back BUT sometimes I need to press the Cardo button ('A' I think it is) if the Mrs hasn't auto connected. IF I have to press the button it's just 1 bleep in the ear and all good again.

Hope that makes sense
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

michaelc2710 wrote: No I don't bother with the Cardo app.
When I take a call it cut's of from the Mrs (if she's on the back) cut's the radio or music off and put's the route instructions (if I'm following one) on a lower volume.
Once I finish the call everything comes back BUT sometimes I need to press the Cardo button ('A' I think it is) if the Mrs hasn't auto connected. IF I have to press the button it's just 1 bleep in the ear and all good again.

Hope that makes sense

Yes, probably my question wasn't clear, what i meant was, if the phone is pared to the Nav and the headset and the nav is paired to the headset, when a call comes in, I wonder which channel it comes over, the direct or the Nav channel. Anyway, good to know it works :)
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Post by slparry »

BMW recommendation is that all phone functions should route through the Navigator and not to pair the phone directly to the headset
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

slparry wrote: BMW recommendation is that all phone functions should route through the Navigator and not to pair the phone directly to the headset

Thats great for BMW, but doesn't work in my case, where I ride many bikes that are not BMW so I have my phone to my headset as I always have my BT on my helmet.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

[size=13px]Checked the connections in the helmet, all looked OK.[/size]
[size=13px]
[/size]
[size=13px]Tried unpairing the phone from the satnav, then paired it again. While doing this, under "paired device" there was an option "Call audio", which was switched off. I switched it on and thought I'd solved the problem. Then I noticed it had switched off again. I don't know why, but it won't stay switched on.[/size]
[size=13px]
[/size]
[size=13px]Put the satnav on the bike and headed off for a run to Loch Katrine. The satnav was working and the phone connected. I was almost at my destination when the phone rang. I hit "answer" and my wife and I were both surprised that we could hear each other ! [/size]
[size=13px]
[/size]
[size=13px]So, I'm not entirely sure what fixed it, but it's fixed ! [/size]
[size=13px]
[/size]
[size=13px]Thanks for all comments.[/size]
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Dee Dub

Post by Dee Dub »

Glad to hear that it's sorted. For the record, the phone doesn't decide which channel to use when a call comes in. It links to either the headset or the satnav when they come into proximity. All calls will be routed to that device from then on.

If the phone is paired with both, the phone will link to whichever it finds first. So if you turn on the satnav first (e.g. ignition on) and turn on your headset later, the phone will probably link to the satnav. If you turn on your headset first, the phone will probably link to the headset.

Just to make things worse, I have known my phone repeatedly swap between one and the other depending on which is giving the stronger signal at that moment! That shouldn't happen, but Bluetooth is notoriously flaky.

I find it works more reliably to pair the phone with just one or the other. If you sometimes ride without the satnav, then it may be more reliable to unpair the satnav and phone so it always links to the headset. However, be aware that you won't get the incoming caller display, you won't be able to select an outgoing call on-screen, and you won't get traffic/weather updates through the Smartphone Link app.

When you tried to turn on Call Audio, if the satnav wasn't getting power from the cradle, it may have turned the setting back off again simply to save battery. That's just a guess though!!!
DW