R1200rt really are special bikes

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Duggie

R1200rt really are special bikes

Post by Duggie »

Over the last couple of yrs I’ve looked at changing the r1200rt LC for something different, not sure why, just fancied a change I guess.
Now, I haven’t ridden every bike out there but being totally honest, nothing has come close to the RT, don’t want to over inflate BMW ego’s but the RT is close to being perfect, for me anyway.
Going back to the main dealers after test rides and saying thanks but no, became quite a habit, I really wanted to say your bikes good but my RT is way better !
Decided now I’m going to keep the RT for a while longer.
I recently bought a new Triumph Bobber as a stable mate, I wanted something I could take out on a Sunday morning and just have a blast, and I love the looks ! 
The way my driveway and garage is laid out, getting the RT out just for a ride out, is a major faff, the Bobber being easier to manoeuvre fitted the bill.

Im looking forward to the next few mths, some really good bike shows coming up, especially the MCN bike festival in Peterborough, went last year and had a fantastic weekend.
Another tour of Wales in late July early August, is also planned.
Happy riding and stay safe.

Duggie
Last edited by Duggie on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Re: R1200rt really are special bikes

Post by simbo »

The RT is a great bike for sure! Always nice having the option to ride something different though 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I've thought a lot recently about changing to something lighter and more manageable than the RT - I'm  not getting any younger or stronger and the RT can be a handful to push around.

Then I have another ride and come back thinking about all the things I love about the RT and the fact that I would miss them.  I could enjoy riding almost any bike, but I wouldn't want to give up the RT - it's brilliant !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

gogs01 wrote: I've thought a lot recently about changing to something lighter and more manageable than the RT - I'm  not getting any younger or stronger and the RT can be a handful to push around.

Then I have another ride and come back thinking about all the things I love about the RT and the fact that I would miss them.  I could enjoy riding almost any bike, but I wouldn't want to give up the RT - it's brilliant !

+1  :)
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

I love my old bus!  :-* Prior to it, I had a 1200ST for 6/7 years, which I'd still have now had it not got written off in France last year. After that prang, once I'd finished limping, I thought I wanted a Pan Euro 1300, so I bought one. After 2 weeks, I sold it, for one reason only - the weight! At around 100kg more than my ST, without luggage and daughter on the back, it was just too much for me to handle comfortably at low speed. Anyway, I got my money back on it and then bought my '06 RT - a tad heavier than the ST, granted, but barely noticeable and just so much easier to handle. I fitted new Hagon suspension to it last year, and PR4 tyres, I can service it easily, and cheaply, it's economical on fuel, it's comfy....all the boxes ticked for me! The only thing that plays on my mind a bit is the servo-ABS, but if (when?!) it fails, I'll spend a couple of hundred quid and have it removed. I'd thought about buying a newer bike, not an LC one though, but couldn't see that it would do things any better - it's here to stay!
Pete
LAF

Post by LAF »

Have to say starting new to BMW with a brand new 07 LT it was very apparent what I was missing.  I came of a 05 Harley Road Glide to the LT.

I then totaled the LT in 2010 and did not know if I would ever ride again as the literally screwed my head onto my spine with 4 screws and 2 rods, on the Atlas and Axis, or C1 and C2.
After 16 months I then road a FJR 1300 for a few years.  Another fine bike. 

Then I got a 15 RT and of course I was in love and in particular the boxer motor.
I traded that in on a 17.5 GS and fell in love with motorcycling all over.  I run it with just A Givi Trekker top box unless on tour. 

I came off the RT to save some weight as my injury's are a factor as I age.  I also got a Low version of the GS. And I really wanted the "new" transmission upgrade that the 17 model year brought.  It was my only complaint on my 15 RT is was a bit particular about your shifting technique.  My 17.5 GS is a dream to shift.  Still may git a bit of a clunk into first but nothing like my RT was and is a large improvement IMHO.

Still the Boxer motor I so love and I do enjoy less fairing and body panels as I am not touring as much as when I was younger and had less hardware in my body.
I am not sure why I waited so long, and rode so many brands before a BMW?  Cost I think, fear of doing my own service another, the dreaded FD issue of the LT had me shook for a long time after I bought it.

I have come to enjoy wrenching on the LC Boxer.  I have done 28 cam timing/valve checks in the last 3 years.  I do it for people who ask and have had people on tour stop at my house for me to do it for them.  They plan a layover and then I prep it and sits all night in my garage and we do it in the morning cold.
I just love these Boxer bikes. 

I have not rode a 1250 yet but I am sure it is a fine step forward for the boxer motor.  I am a bit affraid as I am sure I would want one but not in my finical future to take on a bike payment.

And just so you know it happened I will post  pic.
matgriff

Post by matgriff »

after 35+ years of riding bikes, I got a 2005 1200RT last autumn ... have to say it's a fantastic bike, even at 14 years old it's better than anything else I've owned. I still can't belioeve how light it feels on the road :-)
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

I live in Ohio and own a 2015 r1200RT that I bought used (with about 11K miles on it).  It has been a great bike, overall, other than some pesky handlebar vibration (somewhat muted with aftermarket handlebar end-weights).
Recently I drove a '19 r1250RT.  HUGE difference !!!  Much more mid-range torque, less vibration, and nicer clutch (seems smoother and less twitchy), and the real surprise was a gearbox that did not clunk as much !!  Yippee !  I will be buying one of these bikes in the near future.  That being said:  I am 65 years old, only 150 lbs, and 5'8" with 30" inseam.  My dream bike would be a beemer similar to the r1200RT, but scaled down to maybe 800 cc with maybe a 30" seat height and a wet weight of maybe 450-475 lbs.  We CAN dream, no ??  I don't need a zillion horsepower, but much prefer good weather protection and less overall weight.  Great riding to all !!