Hip Pain

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
buzz

Hip Pain

Post by buzz »

Hi,
I recently bought an R1200RT LE 2016 and absolutely love the bike.
Last weekend I covered 800 miles over three days with two 350 mile rides mostly on the motorways and some running around in Devon. I now have a pain in my hips. I had a hip replacement 10 years ago, I was wondering if anyone out there could suggest a ridders saddle that is a bit narrower that may help my problem as I've a couple of seriously long tours planned later this year.
Regards
Chris 
Sprintgull

Re: Hip Pain

Post by Sprintgull »

Hi Chris,
Feel for you mate.  I had a hip replacement in 2006 but for me the standard seat on my 2016 is fine.  I do 400+ miles a day doing Round Britain Rally stuff with no real aches.  On a long run, the seat is in the higher position to open the hip up slightly.  I'm just about 6' with a 31" inside leg.  It seems a very individual thing, so what works for me may not work for you.  Sargent seats get good reviews. 

My old K1300GT was a little tight so I fitted some Wunderlich footrest lowerers. which helped a lot.  Hope you get this sorted because it is a brilliant bike.  One last thing (please don't take this the wrong way) but because you have just got the bike might you still be riding a bit tense?  I did!!
buzz

Post by buzz »

Thanks for the reply, I'm a bit of a short arse at 5"10 with a 29 inside leg, it may well be not riding for two years that's giving me a few aches but I generally ride about 10,000 miles a year, I had a tiger 800 last time with no ill affects, I think the saddle on the RT is a little bit wider, it I'll give it a little more time then may have to open the wallet for a custom saddle.
Chris
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Is it worth thinking about lowered footpegs? I found them to be a big help, even before my left knee replacement, I have the same inside leg...
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

buzz wrote: Hi,
I recently bought an R1200RT LE 2016 and absolutely love the bike.
Last weekend I covered 800 miles over three days with two 350 mile rides mostly on the motorways and some running around in Devon. I now have a pain in my hips. I had a hip replacement 10 years ago, I was wondering if anyone out there could suggest a ridders saddle that is a bit narrower that may help my problem as I've a couple of seriously long tours planned later this year.
Regards
Chris

My wife  also had a hip replacement some 10 yrs ago. . We got back into biking recently.
Ive notice she aches after some rides but soon recovers and we often walk 5 miles or more. I think what affects her is getting on and off the bike and it may be during this she stretches muscles and tendons  into areas not done normally. She struggles to lift her leg high enough to clear the saddle. I have looked at higher foot pegs but not found any for my bike. I think it may be like any exercise it should be built up gradually and often. Too much too soon can cause aches and pain.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

buzz wrote: Thanks for the reply, I'm a bit of a short arse at 5"10 with a 29 inside leg
Likewise I feel your pain.  In my case knees as a result of 25 years as a Hooker. I am also the same height & inside leg as you. 

Have you considered having the current seat re-shaped?  There are several guys out there offering this as a bespoke service so you should be able to get something tailored to your needs.  I would also second a foot peg lowering kit.  I have the low seat on my 2012 RT and needed the pegs lowered just to ease out the bend in my knees a little.  Small adjustments mage a big difference, particularly over long distances.       
buzz

Post by buzz »

Please tell me you  are talking about rugby LOL
Pabst

Post by Pabst »

buzz wrote: Please tell me you  are talking about rugby LOL

:))
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

buzz wrote: Please tell me you are talking about rugby LOL
Errr..... Yes
Tom Stewart

Post by Tom Stewart »

I have the same exact problem. 6' 1" - 250lbs and I have tried everything....still trying actually. Here is what I have done so far to no avail and the one thing that does work, but is not practical.
  1. Illium foot rest to replace oem foot pegs....the are lower but also sit outward a little more and that certainly didn't help the problem.
  2. Purchased a lowered foot peg (approx 1.5 inches) and it did help a little, but not enough to be comfortable.
  3. Purchased Corbin saddle seat with the Smugglers Trunk. This did help the most ONLY when I am riding with my feet on the highway pegs. This is a saddle seat that is actually wider and with a 31-32" inseam, I can touch the ground with the balls of my feet....not flat footed. While the width of the saddle would appear to spread your hips more, I found it more comfortable in general than the stock seat. Quite a few complaints are that the stock seat is hard; I do not find that to be the case...Mine is very soft, but opens my hips up....maybe the width of the saddle seat keeps my hips from opening up when on the highway pegs, but riding with feet on the standard foot pegs is still painful.
My bike came with the handlebar riser..It actually raises and moves rearward the handlebars....Last night I took the risers off and took a spin. I noticed that it leans me forward a little and I did not experience the same pain, but I only rode a short distance. It definitely held my back in a more straight position.
The ONLY cure that I have found that is perfect, but not practical, is to put the stock front and passenger seat on and sit on the junction of the two seats. The more I move my butt rearward the better...zero pain in my hips, but a pain in the arse trying to sit on this junction of the driver/passenger seat.
I wish there was a seat that would allow you to move more rearward...
I have an athletic build and workout 4-5 days per week and I have tried every stretching technique known to man and nothing seems to work...I have stretched, lay on an inversion table daily as well as a spinalator table daily and nothing has worked.
I love my bike and will continue to work on it until I have found something that does work....I might have to find a good seat maker and have him one off me something.....
Hope this helps.
ts
buzz

Post by buzz »

Thanks for the replys